Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you like a "Send to Kobo" service like Kindle?
Yes 43 50.59%
No 28 32.94%
Maybe 13 15.29%
I would even pay for it! 1 1.18%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-19-2024, 05:21 AM   #16
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Don't care, not relevant to me.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 09:54 PM   #17
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
For when I do buy books from Kobo on my Kobo (rarely) I would like the option to download the book in ePub format instead of the standard (only) choice KePub.
I only get ePubs from Kobo.

I buy the book on their website and either get a DRM-free ePub, or an .acsm file that I dump in calibre where it becomes an ePub.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 09:56 PM   #18
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I do think it's important, because the Send to Kindle and sync of sideloaded books is a feature that is always mentioned when comparing Kindle to Kobo.
Old 05-19-2024, 10:24 PM   #19
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I do think it's important, because the Send to Kindle and sync of sideloaded books is a feature that is always mentioned when comparing Kindle to Kobo.
Which is really only relevant to people who read sideloaded books on multiple devices. For the majority of people who purchase and sync their ebooks from Kobo or read all their books on a single device, the need is non-existent.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 11:04 AM   #20
Defenderland
Groupie
Defenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litter

Device: Libra Colour, Kindle PW
Since I've got the Libra Colour one week ago, I have read 150 articles and researched roughly 10 companies: in the garden, and not indoors, bound to the monitor. Pure joy.

A Send to Kobo app would be extremely helpful, but only if it would show a preview of the article, like the Send to Kindle or Postlight reader apps do, because currently there are several clicks and checks necessary, if the ebook contains all the necessary graphics and data.
Defenderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 01:00 PM   #21
Gone
Out of order
Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Libra Colour
Quote:
I think so, too.

I don't understand why some people say they don't need or want it, so nobody should have it.
Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 01:12 PM   #22
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

More that this poll asked 'Would you like a "Send to Kobo" service like Kindle?'. My response was no. Of the people I know who own ereaders, I don't need all the fingers of one hand to count the number who have ever sideloaded a book to their ereader and/or ereading app.

For me, it's not a matter of nobody having it but rather I would prefer Kobo to spend their limited development budget on items that I would find more useful. The ability to send an ePub to Kobo so I can use it on multiple devices without sideloading it is not something that I would find useful.
Old 05-20-2024, 01:13 PM   #23
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Which is really only relevant to people who read sideloaded books on multiple devices. For the majority of people who purchase and sync their ebooks from Kobo or read all their books on a single device, the need is non-existent.
Well, duh.

I'm one of those who only reads on one device. It wouldn't impact me either way. But it is something that is brought up as an advantage of Kindle all the time.
Old 05-20-2024, 01:25 PM   #24
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Well, duh.

I'm one of those who only reads on one device. It wouldn't impact me either way. But it is something that is brought up as an advantage of Kindle all the time.
Yes, I know. I've seen a lot of those discussions. Mostly from people who seem to never have used StK but think it's a great idea.

The last time I was involved in a discussion about syncing reading status in a different forum, the poster who brought up the topic was not even aware that if they purchased a book from Kobo and synced it to their ereader & apps, reading position, status, etc. would sync between them. Evidently, despite sync between devices being such a necessity that they were thinking of switching to a Kindle, they had never read the same Kobo ebook on their Nia and the Kobo app on their phone and tablet.
Old 05-20-2024, 01:32 PM   #25
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
And if you are reading one book, a quick search is faster because sync needs both devices to be connected to the internet in correct order.

IMO STK is more about Amazon wanting info on your reading habits and getting free copies of stuff they didn't sell. Significant it doesn't take Kindle ebooks, but epubs and pdfs?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 01:46 PM   #26
Gone
Out of order
Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

deleted

Last edited by Gone; 05-29-2024 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-20-2024, 02:04 PM   #27
lensmann
Zealot
lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Boox Max 2, ThinkBook Plus Gen 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPartner View Post
Come on... You're just playing with words, here. Even if the question didn't use "you", the answers would have been the same.
Not in my case. I voted 'no', because I have no use for a 'Send to Kobo' feature. But if the question had been 'Should Kobo implement a Send to Kobo feature?' I would have voted 'maybe' or 'yes' - I certainly wouldn't have voted 'no'.
lensmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 02:10 PM   #28
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Come on... You're just playing with words, here. Even if the question didn't use "you", the answers would have been the same.
I did not play with words. I did not add my own interpretation to what was written. I simply answered the question that was asked. To refresh my memory of the exact question asked, it was "Would you like a "Send to Kobo" service like Kindle?". I answered no. If you had asked a question such as "Would a Send to Kobo option similar to Amazon's Send to Kindle be useful to some people?", my answer might have been different.

Quote:
Who said that a Send to Kobo service would eliminate sideloading?
Perhaps not enough time spent in the Kindle forums? Most of the discussion on StK there seems to be around using StK or sideloading. Which side someone picks seems to depend on their privacy concerns and devices. Such items as sideloading to a Kindle Scribe not allowing much of the device markup functionality to work.

BTW, what format would you prefer a Send to Kobo to handle? Much like Amazon does not permit mobi, azw3/KF8 or KFX formats to use StK, should Kobo not permit ePub format ebooks from being accepted by a Send to Kobo service?
Old 05-20-2024, 02:34 PM   #29
Gone
Out of order

The title of the thread is : Should Kobo have a Send to Kobo like Kindle?

Anyways.

I’m not going to play that game "someone is wrong on the internet."

Kepub is the Kobo format. I would think if there was a service like Send to Kobo, kepub would be the chosen format. I'm not picking sides in favor of any format.
Old 05-20-2024, 02:36 PM   #30
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lensmann View Post
Not in my case. I voted 'no', because I have no use for a 'Send to Kobo' feature. But if the question had been 'Should Kobo implement a Send to Kobo feature?' I would have voted 'maybe' or 'yes' - I certainly wouldn't have voted 'no'.
Same here. I voted no, because the poll question was specifically "Would you like...?"
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote