Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-18-2023, 01:27 AM   #1
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Latest paperwhite setup

i have just got a new Paperwhite to supplement my aging unit, and I have no interest in registering it with amazon, nor downloading books with it. I just want to plug it into my PC where I have a large Calibre library already, almost entirely L+70 public domain (many of which i created myself...) and sideload as needed.

However, I seem to be unable to do a thing unless I register first, have passwords just to read it (why??). I can't even find a detailed manual which might tell me, except by registering, as it's online at Amazon only.

Is there a way?
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 06:05 PM   #2
Frogm4n
Zealot
Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Usually you'd get to the section on selecting a WiFi network, hit Back, and then the Skip button appears. Last I knew only the Scribe couldn't be bypassed like that.
Frogm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 09:02 PM   #3
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This one isn't a scribe, but seems to have the same OS. It locks me into registering, and then demands a credit card number, and a cloud account.

An expensive paper weight, not a good paper white.
Old 11-21-2023, 09:21 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
If you're only interested in sideloading, you'll be better off with a Kobo. You can use a Kobo without registering by enabling the sideloaded mode.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 04:46 AM   #5
Pulpmeister
Wizard

I guess I've been subconsciously wedded to Kindle, I'll go hunt down a Kobo. Thanks for that!
Old 11-22-2023, 06:50 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulpmeister View Post
This one isn't a scribe, but seems to have the same OS. It locks me into registering, and then demands a credit card number, and a cloud account.

An expensive paper weight, not a good paper white.
It used to be that a $10 Amazon gift voucher code (bought on US Marketplace, but "home account" can be elsewhere) worked instead of an existing Amazon account or adding a credit card. Then the Amazon "Account" was USA but no address. I suspect it doesn't work now. It was a few years ago.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 06:52 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogm4n View Post
Usually you'd get to the section on selecting a WiFi network, hit Back, and then the Skip button appears. Last I knew only the Scribe couldn't be bypassed like that.
I've never been able to do that on a new one. A deregistered S/H one works without registration if not factory reset. But a Kindle is crippled without an Amazon account.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 02:25 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I've never been able to do that on a new one. A deregistered S/H one works without registration if not factory reset. But a Kindle is crippled without an Amazon account.
And Scribes especially so.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote