Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-08-2022, 09:21 AM   #121
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Soon!
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 07:14 PM   #122
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Oops, already answered.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 05:05 AM   #123
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The new list thread is up. Claim your spot!

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=350812
Old 12-09-2022, 11:31 AM   #124
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Done, thank you. I'm going to try some different types of goals this year, need to think of them. And maybe not so much detailed tracking on thread.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 09:45 AM   #125
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I am reading Fairytale by Stephen King and The Pallbearer's Club by Paul Trumblay. i may have misspelled his name.

First 50% of Fairytale was super good. Great character development but when it comes to the rest of the story it gets boring and poops out. I find myself skipping over pages or paragraphs to speed up the process. There is NOTHING scary about this book. its like he is struggling for material to write about. Now The Pallbearer's Club is interesting. I am only 15% in but so far its about a kid that starts a school club to help out a local funeral home. Mainly to help provide services for the homeless that otherwise would have noone to pay their respects and visit a service. I am sure there will be a paranormal twist at one point eventually.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 09:46 AM   #126
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The new list thread is up. Claim your spot!

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=350812
I claimed
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 09:43 AM   #127
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Length Goals:
  • Total Books: 50 (stretch goal of 75)
  • Total Pages: 15,000
  • E-TBR Reduction: 25
  • Read from Print-TBR: 10

Substantive Goals:
  • Read at least 51% non-American authors
  • Read more female/nonbinary authors than male
  • Read at least 52 short stories
  • Read each Poem of the Week (52) posted by The Guardian - ABANDONED
  • Read at least 10 books across all our collections that are selected by my wife. It's a great way to read things I would not ordinarily do, and I almost always end up enjoying them.

Cumulative Totals - Through mid-December:
  • Total Books: 73 - 146% of goal, 97% of stretch goal - GOAL MET!
  • Total Pages: 20147 - 134% of goal - GOAL MET!
  • Gender Goal: 43% Female, 5% Nonbinary, 51% Male - OFF TARGET - trending in the right direction now at least.
  • Country of Origin Goal: 49% USA, 51% out of US - GOAL MET!
  • E-TBR Reduction: + - 37 - 148% of goal GOAL MET!
  • Read from Print TBR: - 31 - 310% of goal GOAL MET!
  • Short Stories: 16 - 29% of goal - OFF TARGET
  • Poems 5 - 9 % of goal - ABANDONED
  • Books Recommended by my wife: 12 - 120% of goal GOAL MET!
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 07:33 PM   #128
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Generalized Goals

Hmm, looks like I mainly did author-centric goals last year, and the goal to clean out storage space with books in the "book closet" and not main library

Failed there in the closet goal.

For authors

Did well on these -
Erle Stanley Gardner
Stephen King
Nelson DeMille
Lincoln Childs
Michael Connelly

Not so much on the other list, reading was all over the place. In 2023 won't have as many author orientated goals as clearly that doesn't work well for me lol
Spoiler:

Jonathan Kellerman
Ronald Kelly
Robin Cook
Michael Crichton
Lisa Gardner
Simon Clark
Ramsey Campbell
Stuart Woods
Jack Ketchum
F. Paul Wilson
Robert McCammon
John D. MacDonald
Dean Koontz
Agatha Christie
Harlan Coben
Lee Child
Mary Higgins Clark
Paul Cleave
Paul Tremberly
Patricia Cornwell
Catherine Coulter
Sue Grafton
Heather Graham
Tami Hoag
Lisa Jackson
J.A. Jance
Iris Johansen
Faye Kellerman
Karin Slaughter
Old 12-29-2022, 06:36 AM   #129
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I am reading Fairytale by Stephen King and The Pallbearer's Club by Paul Trumblay. i may have misspelled his name.

First 50% of Fairytale was super good. Great character development but when it comes to the rest of the story it gets boring and poops out. I find myself skipping over pages or paragraphs to speed up the process. There is NOTHING scary about this book. its like he is struggling for material to write about. Now The Pallbearer's Club is interesting. I am only 15% in but so far its about a kid that starts a school club to help out a local funeral home. Mainly to help provide services for the homeless that otherwise would have noone to pay their respects and visit a service. I am sure there will be a paranormal twist at one point eventually.
its on my wish list however whilst i love Mr King i did not get on with Talisman and therefore Black House and the DT series doesnt interest me so not sure if i will bother with Fairytale
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 05:33 AM   #130
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
No books bought yet in December, so there are 709 on my TBR pile.
At the start of the year, I set my goal as "to buy fewer books than I read. And so end up with fewer unread books."

I started 2022 with 756 books on my TBR pile.
I end 2022 with 703 books on my TBR pile.

But is this just because I'd discarded books from the pile? No! I did actually buy fewer books than I read. I read 121 and I only bought 84.

(I did discard some, and I also got some freebies.)

Goal met!

I shall probably set the same goal for next year.
Old 12-31-2022, 11:30 AM   #131
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Assuming I don't buy anything for the rest of the day, I have narrowly met my main goal of reading twice as many books as I buy. It's been a big December to get back on track, and I only just squeaked it (31 bought, 63 read). I've been behind since I bought a storybundle in February.

I have the same goal again next year, but this time I'll try to avoid bundles when I only really want one book.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 01:18 PM   #132
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
End of year summation of goals. My primary goal was to read 24,000 pages and reduce my buying. Failed both BUT I was only 1,500 pages short of my reading goal. I really need to work on buying less. Otherwise, despite failure, I feel pleased that most of what I read was very good to excellent.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 02:01 PM   #133
CAFlanny
Connoisseur
CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour, Kobo Libra H20, Meebook P78 Pro, Kindles
I didn't reach my goal of 100 books read, but I did take 61 books off of my TBR pile.

I only bought 10 books this year and read 6 of them. One was a DNF. Definitely an improvement on the spending.
CAFlanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 06:11 PM   #134
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Now that the year is fully over, rest of my the yearly update. I just eeked by with my Goodreads goal of 200 finished the last day of the year, had to slip in a quick children's book which was actually adorable and makes me want to check out the rest of the series. Somehow five books didn't make their way over to my personal spreadsheet so a small difference, but I don't feel like hunting through all that and figuring it out, it doesn't matter enough for the effort. One goal I have in 2023 is to update more regularly like I used to.

For me year the reading year was very mixed, first full year into a new position and ups and downs. Did finally get into more regular audiobook patterns as well to help make up some of the difference.

Out of books read:
Spoiler:

15% Audio, 64% E-books, 2% Hardback, 16% Mass Market Paperback, 3% Trade Paperback. Biggest month of reading December, lowest February.
90% Adult, 7% YA, 2% Middle Grade, 1% Kids.
78% Contemporary, 10% Historical, 4% Future, 8% "Retro".
30% of the reads were Re-Reads.
52% of the books read were purchased, 48% from free sources or subscription services
Out of free sources, 22% is library, 64% Kindle Unlimited, 6% Scribd, 4% Audible Premium Plus plan, 1 free loan and 4% other sources
31% of books read were self-published.
For Paranormal, main "creatures" over 10% - 25% Shapeshifter, 20% Magic User, 10% Serial Killer, 8% random monster, 11% Ghost
Sources of Stores for purchased - 50% Amazon, 14% Audible, 2% BooksAMillion, 10% Used bookstore random, 8% Thrift books

Genres:
Romance 29%; Mystery 31%; Action/Adventure 3%; Drama and General Fiction 6%; Fairy Tales 1%; High Fantasy 3%; Horror 11%; Nonfiction 2%; Science Fiction 2%; Urban Fantasy 16%

Location (from when known) - 73% United States, 14% United Kingdom, 1% each for Australia, France, Japan, Italy, Mexico, Scotland, Turkey, Ocean, 2% Ireland, 4% Fantasy world, 2% Space Setting

I miss a lot of the states the US is set when reading, but from the ones I can figure, the top ones were 28% in California, 12% Massachusetts, 11% New York, 4% Ohio, 14% Washington

Author Gender: 37% Male, 63% Female, 1% Both
Protagonist Gender: 31% Multiple POV Ensemble, 37% Male, 33% Female

Not much diversity - 67% listed as zero. 16% marked as 5 star, 49% 4 and 4.5 stars, 29% 3 and 3.5 stars, 6% 2 stars, 1% 1 star. Good on ratings at least!
Old 01-24-2023, 02:05 PM   #135
fduniho
Addict
fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, DX, PW4, PW5, Scribe; Likebook Mars; Fire HD 8; iPad
My goal was to read at least 52 books, and I exceeded it by only one book, because I was reading some long books.
fduniho is offline   Reply With Quote