Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-07-2023, 12:44 AM   #1
pmeslin
pmeslin began at the beginning.

Device: Boox M92
Suggested upgrades from a Boox M92?

I have an old Boox M92 that has served me well but is getting long in the tooth after 10 years.

I don't care much for note taking or touchscreen features since it's mostly for reading novels, technical documents and datasheets and possibly light browsing on occasion, but a better screen of roughly the same size or larger (the M92 has a 9.7" e-ink Perl at 1200x825) would be much appreciated.

I already have a regular tablet, but this would be for situations where I can be without access to power for weeks at a time so the ridiculous battery life that comes with e-paper devices is preferred.

A keyboard case could be an interesting option, but not a necessity. I'd rather stay away from the closed Kindle ecosystem but if their support for epub and pdfs has improved I could reconsider. Wifi is a nice-to-have, so is USB-C due to how fragile the micro-Bs are.

What would be everyone's suggestions and recommendations? I haven't kept up with e-reader developments so I don't know much of what's current.
pmeslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 09:29 AM   #2
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
There's A LOT of options in the big screen eInk market right now. Boox of course has newer 10"+ devices like the Note Air 2, Max Lumi 2 and Tab Ultra/Tab X. Kobo has the 10" Kobo Elipsa and Amazon has the 10" scribe. I think Pocketbook has one too as well as Boyue. Although I think Pocketbook's has basically the same same screen resolution as your M92 while everything else is 200+ PPI. Although only Amazon has a 300 PPI 10" reader. I think all on the market are touch screen models and most support note taking although you could just ignore the note taking features. Most have USB C too, not sure about Pocketbook though?

I have a Boox Note Air 1, it has a 10.3" 227ppi screen which is pretty good IMO, USB C, supports Bluetooth keyboard as well.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 09:54 AM   #3
pmeslin
pmeslin began at the beginning.

Device: Boox M92
That's good to know, thanks! From what I could read on the forum there were some comments about the texture of the writing surface of some Boox devices somewhat degrading the reading experience. Is that something you noticed with yours?
pmeslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 04:04 PM   #4
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeslin View Post
That's good to know, thanks! From what I could read on the forum there were some comments about the texture of the writing surface of some Boox devices somewhat degrading the reading experience. Is that something you noticed with yours?
The problem with the Boox/Meebook Notes devices is that they all have this writing foil; with the exception of the new Tab Ultra/X devices.
But there are Pocketbook 10 inch readers, which of course don't need something like that.
But I can't tell you anything about it, because I only know it from descriptions
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote