Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-05-2023, 03:46 PM   #1621
Lys
Zealot
Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Too many) Kobo(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
All this crap did was convince me not to purchase from Kindle anymore. If a book is exclusive there? Oh well, I didn't need to read it.
Same, and the same sentiment was shared by all my friends who I informed about this change.

Oh well, I've enough of a back-log to last me a lifetime, I may even end up thanking Amazon to help me stop buying every ebook I see on a deal (who do I kid? I've already bought 5 ebooks on the kobo store since the start of the year )
Lys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 04:04 PM   #1622
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
As long as there's a way to deDRM, I'll buy from Amazon (not exclusively from them, of course). I do still have a couple of older Kindles registered to my account. If it's no longer possible to deDRM Kindle books by any means, I'll stop buying them. I've never bought a single book I couldn't disinfect and I never will. My list of unread books is hundreds of kilometers long anyway, so I can live without Amazon exclusives.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2023, 05:53 PM   #1623
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
As long as there's a way to deDRM, I'll buy from Amazon (not exclusively from them, of course). I do still have a couple of older Kindles registered to my account. If it's no longer possible to deDRM Kindle books by any means, I'll stop buying them. I've never bought a single book I couldn't disinfect and I never will. My list of unread books is hundreds of kilometers long anyway, so I can live without Amazon exclusives.
This.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 05:58 PM   #1624
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I posted a thread in the Kindle section for discussion of the policy changes:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=4286958
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 06:08 PM   #1625
iBeth
Enthusiast
iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ebw1150, nook, kindle oasis, kobo libra2
Quote:
Yes, this is exactly how I feel. I'm sad that this is happening, but I guess I will buy fewer ebooks now.

I wish ereaderiq also worked for kobo!
iBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2023, 06:45 PM   #1626
iBeth
Enthusiast
iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ebw1150, nook, kindle oasis, kobo libra2
All good things must end

I got a message saying that I could not download books in Kindle for PC version 1.17, and I was very sad. But . . . the books did download there. Whew!

At some point I will no longer be able to de-DRM kindle books, and at that point I will stop buying them. I have a lot to read, so I won't complain, but I will be sad.
iBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 09:06 PM   #1627
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeth View Post
I got a message saying that I could not download books in Kindle for PC version 1.17, and I was very sad. But . . . the books did download there. Whew!

At some point I will no longer be able to de-DRM kindle books, and at that point I will stop buying them. I have a lot to read, so I won't complain, but I will be sad.
Right now, it's only newly-published books that are blocked. Whether they plan to also do that to earlier books is unknown.
Old 01-05-2023, 09:59 PM   #1628
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Right now, it's only newly-published books that are blocked. Whether they plan to also do that to earlier books is unknown.
If K4PC 1.17 is finally killed by blocking all downloads, then all fairly recent books download as KFX, right? If so, I'll just stop buying from Amazon altogether. I guess I'd better cancel my preorders.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 10:00 PM   #1629
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
If K4PC 1.17 is finally killed by blocking all downloads, then all fairly recent books download as KFX, right? If so, I'll just stop buying from Amazon altogether. I guess I'd better cancel my preorders.
Pretty much every book published after January 3 or so is affected.
Old 01-05-2023, 10:09 PM   #1630
kspn
kspn began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo,Android
Well that explains what happened to me

I will have to see how it goes with getting books from alternate locations (still purchased as I support the authors) but it is annoying as I don't like the Kindle app on Android and prefer to use a different app with more customization options (like the ability to layout the books in a folder structure that I like)
kspn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 10:16 PM   #1631
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Pretty much every book published after January 3 or so is affected.
No, no. That is not what I mean. I mean books purchased in the last four years or so. My understanding is that if you have any K4PC newer than 1.17, you would get KFX instead of AZW. That is why so many people stuck with 1.17 (and why this thread exists).

So, if 1.17 is blocked from downloading ANY books, then it won't just be books from January 3rd onwards. A recent (but not newly published) book like Fairy Tale by Stephen King would only be available as KFX from Amazon. At least, that is my understanding.
Old 01-05-2023, 10:27 PM   #1632
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No, no. That is not what I mean. I mean books purchased in the last four years or so. My understanding is that if you have any K4PC newer than 1.17, you would get KFX instead of AZW. That is why so many people stuck with 1.17 (and why this thread exists).

So, if 1.17 is blocked from downloading ANY books, then it won't just be books from January 3rd onwards. A recent (but not newly published) book like Fairy Tale by Stephen King would only be available as KFX from Amazon. At least, that is my understanding.
So far you can still download books published before January 3 with the 1.17 version. I just did.
Old 01-05-2023, 10:43 PM   #1633
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
So far you can still download books published before January 3 with the 1.17 version. I just did.
Somewhere my point/question is being missed...

Books published after January 3, 2023 can only be downloaded with the most recent version of K4PC.
Understood.

(For now) Books published prior to January 3, 2023 can be downloaded using K4PC 1.17 as AZW.
Understood.

Now my question, again:

It is assumed that Amazon will (eventually) kill K4PC 1.17 by blocking it from being able to download ANY books. IF that happens, then would it be fair to say that AZW as a format will be dead? At least for folks like me that do not own an actual Kindle? As in, if you use K4PC 1.19-1.26, you will get KFX, not AZW.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 01-05-2023 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-05-2023, 10:45 PM   #1634
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Somewhere my point/question is being missed...

Books published after January 3, 2023 can only be downloaded with the most recent version of K4 PC.
Understood.

(For now) Books published prior to January 3, 2023 can be downloaded using K4PC 1.17 as AZW.
Understood.

Now my question, again:

It is assumed that Amazon will (eventually) kill K4PC 1.17 by blocking it from being able to download ANY books. IF that happens, then would it be fair to say that AZW as a format will be dead? At least for folks like me that do not own an actual Kindle?
I guess so. We don't know what Amazon is going to do re 1.17, though.
Old 01-06-2023, 02:52 AM   #1635
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Too detailed information. Please edit your post to remove the information on DeDRM that you should not be posting on MR.
Moderator Notice
Please don't attempt moderation yourself.

If you think a post violates MR guidelines, please just report it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k4pc, kindle for pc