Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-19-2022, 11:17 PM   #46
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgam View Post
The 256 SD card needs to be formatted in exFat. Does Clara work with this formatting?
The SD card has to be partitioned and formatted how Kobo wants it to be. It isn't a single 256GB partition. And, you should let the device format the books partition. It will do that after a factory reset, so it is a good idea to do a factory reset after putting a new card in with an image to make sure everything is working.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 05:39 AM   #47
cmgam
Enthusiast
cmgam began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The SD card has to be partitioned and formatted how Kobo wants it to be. It isn't a single 256GB partition. And, you should let the device format the books partition. It will do that after a factory reset, so it is a good idea to do a factory reset after putting a new card in with an image to make sure everything is working.

hi
Maybe my question was poorly explained. The new card, before the system image was written to it, was formatted. Originally it is usually in fat32 but this format has problems with file size. Hence my question about formatting in exFat.
Thanks
Regards
cmgam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 10:07 AM   #48
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Do you have a book larger than 4GB? If not, FAT32 is fine. I do not believe current models ship with exfat support; you would need to compile the kernel module yourself and alter the mounting scripts.

There was a mod that could let you format it as ext2 or ext4, but you wouldn't be able to read it on MacOS or Windows easily (would work fine on Linux though; I did it for a time).
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 10:27 AM   #49
cmgam
Enthusiast

Hi
Thanks again for your response.
What led me to the question was this threat " https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348299"
Regards
Old 08-20-2022, 11:43 AM   #50
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Hi
Thanks again for your response.
What led me to the question was this threat " https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348299"
Regards
I'm 95% certain that person bought a fake SD card. I'm running a 128GB card and it's been working fine for years at full capacity using FAT32.

Edit: It looks like that person hit the FAT32 limit on number of files allowed in a directory, not a file size limit. The easy answer is to do a better job of separating files into folders and not dump everything into one folder or the root directory (which also helps improve performance as well since it won't have to poll as many files each time it opens the folder for reading). Calibre does this automatically by creating folders based on authors.

Last edited by rtiangha; 08-20-2022 at 02:09 PM.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 07:26 AM   #51
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Maybe my question was poorly explained. The new card, before the system image was written to it, was formatted. Originally it is usually in fat32 but this format has problems with file size. Hence my question about formatting in exFat.
What the card is formatted before writing the image to it does not matter. The image writing completely replaces everything on the card including the partition table and any file systems.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 12:32 PM   #52
lupo62
lupo62 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo hd
I have a question to ask, I had a 32gb microsd on kobo glo hd with a nice library inside, kobo glo HD passed away
With mini partition wizard I saw that the 28.7gb kobo ereder partition contains books.
If I were preparing the card for kobo Clara, what should I put inside the partition? Only ebook folders or other folders?
lupo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 10:17 PM   #53
varocketry
Paramotor Pilot
varocketry began at the beginning.

Device: kobo clara hd
I just (17 August 2022) purchased a refurbished Kobo Clara HD from Manuf. It came with an 8GB SD Card inside.

I used WIN32DiskImager to make a copy of directories onto a 32GB card then used a partition manager to enlarge the KOBO partition. It booted right up , now with 29GB storage.
varocketry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 12:40 AM   #54
lupo62
lupo62 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by varocketry View Post
I just (17 August 2022) purchased a refurbished Kobo Clara HD from Manuf. It came with an 8GB SD Card inside.

I used WIN32DiskImager to make a copy of directories onto a 32GB card then used a partition manager to enlarge the KOBO partition. It booted right up , now with 29GB storage.
Happy to hear it, I'll do this, sure that if I had found a Glo HD I would have put that one and it would have been the clone of the other broken one.
lupo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 03:53 PM   #55
cmgam
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
What the card is formatted before writing the image to it does not matter. The image writing completely replaces everything on the card including the partition table and any file systems.
Hi
I already made the change, 128 GB. So far everything is working fine.
Thanks
Regards

Enviado do meu SM-A516B através do Tapatalk
Old 08-29-2022, 11:44 AM   #56
raafayawan
raafayawan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
I'm 95% certain that person bought a fake SD card. I'm running a 128GB card and it's been working fine for years at full capacity using FAT32.

Edit: It looks like that person hit the FAT32 limit on number of files allowed in a directory, not a file size limit. The easy answer is to do a better job of separating files into folders and not dump everything into one folder or the root directory (which also helps improve performance as well since it won't have to poll as many files each time it opens the folder for reading). Calibre does this automatically by creating folders based on authors.
Yes you are right, I hit the number of files limit, not the size, creating different folders helped me solve the issue.
raafayawan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clara hd, microsd card slot