Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-08-2022, 04:50 PM   #61
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Back to the Golden Age for me, with Wimsey 2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sayers.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	194221  
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 05:39 AM   #62
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Great series, though I don't like that series edition of covers!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 06:59 AM   #63
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Great series, though I don't like that series edition of covers!
I like this particular cover because I found the constant Blandings-speak in the first two tiresome. I'm reading them all in order in the hope that Wimsey grows as Campion did, but the monocle on this cover seems a good fit for the OTT foppishness of pretty much all the characters
Old 06-11-2022, 05:06 PM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I like this particular cover because I found the constant Blandings-speak in the first two tiresome. I'm reading them all in order in the hope that Wimsey grows as Campion did, but the monocle on this cover seems a good fit for the OTT foppishness of pretty much all the characters
I read the first book and I found it awful. There's so many better books to read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 05:44 PM   #65
anesthezea
Groupie
anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2e, Kobo Libra Colour, Kindle Paperwhite

Name:	IMG_0975.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	194312

I've been making my way through the Sherlock Holmes stories & novels.

Last edited by anesthezea; 06-11-2022 at 05:53 PM.
anesthezea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 06:12 PM   #66
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I read the first book and I found it awful. There's so many better books to read.
C’mon, Jon, Sayers is one of the greats. You really can’t (well of course you can and have) dismiss her on the basis of one book. And I can’t resist pointing out that this is the argument for not reading series books in order; sometimes the first book stinks and the author has yet to find her feet, although Whose Body? really wasn’t all that bad.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 05:02 AM   #67
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
C’mon, Jon, Sayers is one of the greats. You really can’t (well of course you can and have) dismiss her on the basis of one book. And I can’t resist pointing out that this is the argument for not reading series books in order; sometimes the first book stinks and the author has yet to find her feet, although Whose Body? really wasn’t all that bad.
Having just read Martin Edwards EXCELLENT "The Life of Crime", it renewed my interest in reading Sayers. I had already read Whose Body and am quite deliberately reading them all in all in order precisely to see how she grows. Whereas with Ellery Queen & Dickson Carr, I'm only reading the first 3 to get a feel for the characters and then jumping to the few that I've had especially recommended.
Old 06-12-2022, 05:04 AM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I didn't care at all for the racism.
Old 06-12-2022, 05:08 AM   #69
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:

The racism in Ellery Queen's first (and second) is FAR worse, I hope you reacted similarly to them.
Old 06-12-2022, 05:09 AM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
The racism in Ellery Queen's first (and second) is FAR worse, I hope you reacted similarly to them.
I've not read it.
Old 06-12-2022, 06:36 AM   #71
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Which makes it difficult to read any books of that period. Moreover, you don’t seem to have any problem with the misogyny of science fiction. And it’s one thing to accept it as of its time when reading classic sci-fi, but it’s much harder to justify, IMO, with poor sci-fi and at a time when people should have been more aware.

And yes, Star Trek, I’m looking at you. In fact, I have no problem with people reading whatever, but I think that if you’re going to condemn classics and genres for bigotry you should strive to be consistent.

Last edited by issybird; 06-12-2022 at 06:43 AM.
Old 06-12-2022, 06:51 AM   #72
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Having just read Martin Edwards EXCELLENT "The Life of Crime", it renewed my interest in reading Sayers. I had already read Whose Body and am quite deliberately reading them all in all in order precisely to see how she grows. Whereas with Ellery Queen & Dickson Carr, I'm only reading the first 3 to get a feel for the characters and then jumping to the few that I've had especially recommended.
Sayers has the advantage of a bibliography of reasonable length! I’ll be interested in your reactions; I personally think she loses her moorings a bit when she gets to Harriet Vane.

I particularly like early Ellery Queen for its New York flavor. I’ve not read as much Carr although I remember liking some books more than others; in fact I recently abandoned one.
Old 06-12-2022, 03:38 PM   #73
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I read the first book and I found it awful.
I ditched it after a few chapters. It was just an insufferable read. The main character was so milquetoast I just wanted to punch his face.

Now, I almost abandoned The Caine Mutiny at the beginning for similar reasons and that would have been a tremendous mistake. You are intended to dislike Willie Keith at first and he grows over the novel.

I didn't get the feeling Pete Wimsey would do the same. Though I am open to admitting I may be missing a treasure.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 09:35 AM   #74
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Dorothy Sayers demonstrating how ONE word can really take one out of the story. How could she do such bloody murder to a favorite line?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wrong.jpg
Views:	797
Size:	660.7 KB
ID:	194385  
Old 06-15-2022, 10:21 AM   #75
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

She did it AGAIN:
Quote:
CHAPTER IV
A BIT MENTAL
“A babbled of green fields.”

KING HENRY V
Two bungled Shakespeare quotes had me wondering if there was something wrong with my copy, so I bought another at Kobo just to check. The Google Play Books edition free sample let me check the "evil" quote, and it is the same there too. The problem exists in all editions. It would be interesting to know what paper versions have there.

Last edited by Uncle Robin; 06-15-2022 at 10:24 AM.