Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-09-2022, 09:13 AM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Aren't there page turn buttons on the right side of the reader (that looks like a Sony PRS 505)? Aren't page turn buttons directly under the persons right thumb in the picture?
That is a PRS-505 and there are page turn buttons on the right side under his thumb.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 12:21 PM   #62
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That is a PRS-505 and there are page turn buttons on the right side under his thumb.
I have one of those somewhere. Never really used it as the battery is dead.

I've been looking at a PRS-700, because I am intrigued by Sony's one lighted reader. But I can't justify spending the $$$ on another old reader.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 01:03 PM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

I've been looking at a PRS-700, because I am intrigued by Sony's one lighted reader. But I can't justify spending the $$$ on another old reader.
I had a 505, but it develiped a line in the middle of the screen and eventually, the bottom of the screen stopped displaying. It was obviously a fault.

The 700 is a waste of money. The screen is like looking at a murky mirror and you need the lights on or it's not all that easy to read.
Old 06-09-2022, 03:37 PM   #64
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Aren't there page turn buttons on the right side of the reader (that looks like a Sony PRS 505)? Aren't page turn buttons directly under the persons right thumb in the picture?
You're right. I usually used the round page turn button assembly on the LEFT side (not the right side as I said before). I honestly had forgotten about the little page turn buttons on the right edge of the reader.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 04:24 PM   #65
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

IMO the only S/H Sony's worth getting are PRS-350, PRS650 and maybe T2. The T1 can be OK, but a flaw can make it freeze when you access dictionary.

I have the PRS-350, other values of it are that it does Collections with Calibre (by default tags) and is 5".
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 05:09 PM   #66
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
IMO the only S/H Sony's worth getting are PRS-350, PRS650 and maybe T2. The T1 can be OK, but a flaw can make it freeze when you access dictionary.
I have a 650 someplace. It's battery needed replacing after not long enough. My T1 never froze when accessing the dictionary. I did use the modified reading app that fixed the bug with fonts and added the ability to use your own fonts as well as an on-screen clock.
Old 06-11-2022, 06:02 PM   #67
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Having (finally) finished de-DRM-ing my Kindle library, I can consider getting something like this. It looks pretty nice, and I like the idea of having TTS (provided by Ivona, owned by Amazon…).

I wonder what audiobook format(s) it supports (I have converted my Audible library to .m4b). Will audiobooks play in background (so you can follow along in text if you have it)? If so how do you control playback? (Same question for Libra 2: can you side load audiobooks etc)

Last edited by tomsem; 06-11-2022 at 06:10 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 06:45 PM   #68
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I wonder what audiobook format(s) it supports (I have converted my Audible library to .m4b). Will audiobooks play in background (so you can follow along in text if you have it)? If so how do you control playback? (Same question for Libra 2: can you side load audiobooks etc)
It supposedly supports the following audio formats... M4A, M4B, OGG, OGG.ZIP, MP3 and MP3.ZIP.

As for playing audio books in the background, I've just tested that on my HD 3. I was able to play an audio book and open and read an ePub simultaneously — so it looks like it should work if you had both the audio and ePub version of the same book. To control the audio book you have to hit the back key in the ePub and then hit the audio book icon. There's no audio menu at the bottom of the eBook. To get back to your eBook, you hit the back key again and tap on the book image to reopen your book.
Old 06-11-2022, 11:31 PM   #69
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
It supposedly supports the following audio formats... M4A, M4B, OGG, OGG.ZIP, MP3 and MP3.ZIP.

As for playing audio books in the background, I've just tested that on my HD 3. I was able to play an audio book and open and read an ePub simultaneously — so it looks like it should work if you had both the audio and ePub version of the same book. To control the audio book you have to hit the back key in the ePub and then hit the audio book icon. There's no audio menu at the bottom of the eBook. To get back to your eBook, you hit the back key again and tap on the book image to reopen your book.
Thank you! And I would guess that if you are using Bluetooth and the headset/speaker offers player controls you could use those to control playback.

In the end it is probably easier just to use one device for playback while reading text on another but at least it is possible to use just one in this case. Wish it were so with Kindles!
Old 06-12-2022, 03:18 AM   #70
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

I wonder if it supports Dark Mode (white text on black background)?
Old 06-12-2022, 05:00 AM   #71
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Thank you! And I would guess that if you are using Bluetooth and the headset/speaker offers player controls you could use those to control playback.

In the end it is probably easier just to use one device for playback while reading text on another but at least it is possible to use just one in this case. Wish it were so with Kindles!
I only have a Blackberry BlueTooth portable speaker and it looks like the only controls it has is volume. Sorry I can't be any more help on that. The only Audio book I have on the PocketBook is a public domain one that came with the reader — and I've only listened to it enough to test it.

Quote:
I wonder if it supports Dark Mode (white text on black background)?
Dark Mode would be something new for PocketBook if the Era does support it. At least I don't think PocketBook uses Dark Mode on any of their readers. I may be wrong.