Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-15-2022, 08:47 PM   #751
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
There are bugs on 4.31 & 4.30 on the Sage and Elipsa that are apparently nothing to do with connecting via USB to transfer.
1) Buttons stop working. Swipe usually fixes, otherwise sleep or home.
2) Place is lost in book.
3) Looking at Bluetooth page turns on WiFi
4) The ereader restarting while in Advanced Notebook and the open notebook contents are erased.

Nothing to do with Calibre "drivers" either. One or some of the bugs is related to any USB transfer and might be less often if you are at the home screen when you connect.
5) Database sometimes corrupted. A "Repair Account" in settings sometimes works.

It will be interesting to see 4.32.19501, but the problem is that the only 4.30 & 4.31 bug that's at all reproducible is "Looking at Bluetooth page turns on WiFi". It's all very intermittent. The only other bug I've seen more than once is the Sage buttons stop working.
Firstly, "Looking at Bluetooth page turns on WiFi" was not a bug. It was a deliberate design decision based around how they expected these devices to be used. Apparently it was unpopular enough that they have changed this in firmware 4.32.19501.

And apparently they have also fixed a problem with the buttons in the Sage. It was not mentioned before and I don't have a Sage to test with.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 09:22 PM   #752
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

And apparently they have also fixed a problem with the buttons in the Sage. It was not mentioned before and I don't have a Sage to test with.
I'll be reading a good deal this weekend on my freshly updated and patched Sage. I'll post if i hit any issues with the buttons, though as I've mentioned a few times 4.31 did seem to decrease how often I'd seen this issue. Hopefully 4.32 quashes it entirely.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 09:35 PM   #753
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
I'll be reading a good deal this weekend on my freshly updated and patched Sage. I'll post if i hit any issues with the buttons, though as I've mentioned a few times 4.31 did seem to decrease how often I'd seen this issue. Hopefully 4.32 quashes it entirely.
Do let us know, as I may not have the time to tinker with my Kobos before next week.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 04:42 AM   #754
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laen View Post
i had first 4.30 then to 4.31 but then the errors are there what i wrote.
Then im back to 4.30 and know 4.32.

All is since i put the intern from 64GB to 128GB because that was 2 Days ago before i update to 4.31 today.

I make at the moment a Backup of all books to make a full reset of the kobo glo
Why would you reset your Glo? You can just install 4.32 and be done with it.

See the thread on 4.32 at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=346239
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 06:01 AM   #755
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Firstly, "Looking at Bluetooth page turns on WiFi" was not a bug. It was a deliberate design decision based around how they expected these devices to be used. Apparently it was unpopular enough that they have changed this in firmware 4.32.19501.

How did they expect it to be used? If you are using bluetooth, you would be listening to an audiobook? Why would you need wifi for that?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 07:01 AM   #756
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
How did they expect it to be used? If you are using bluetooth, you would be listening to an audiobook? Why would you need wifi for that?
Also simply looking at the setting page for Bluetooth on 4.31.x and 4.30.x without even changing it turned on WiFi. That's a bug.

Anyway I can't imagine EVER wanting WiFi at the same time on an ereader for audio.
Even on the tablet I'd nomally only turn on BT for the keyboard to edit, I'd not have WiFi on then.

I never leave WiFi on any gadget unless I'm using the Internet. I only use WiFi on a laptop if there is no ethernet cable.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 07:02 AM   #757
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Read till 3am from about 7 pm and the buttons on Sage were OK.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 07:24 AM   #758
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Also simply looking at the setting page for Bluetooth on 4.31.x and 4.30.x without even changing it turned on WiFi. That's a bug.
Just because you don't like how something works doesn't make it a bug. And it was far to deliberate an action for it to have been a bug. A bad design decision, maybe.
Quote:
Anyway I can't imagine EVER wanting WiFi at the same time on an ereader for audio.
Even on the tablet I'd nomally only turn on BT for the keyboard to edit, I'd not have WiFi on then.

I never leave WiFi on any gadget unless I'm using the Internet. I only use WiFi on a laptop if there is no ethernet cable.
That's how you use WiFi. Personally, WiFi is on for my laptop whenever I am using it. Same for my phone, my iPad and all my Kobo devices. The convenience of having them on for me to use when I want to use them far outweighs any perceived problems with having them on.

And the Bluetooth and WiFi are tied together on the same chipset. That might make it hard to enable one without the other. But, if you don't like it, complain to Kobo. It's pointless continuously whining about it here.
Old 04-16-2022, 07:28 AM   #759
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
And the Bluetooth and WiFi are tied together on the same chipset. That might make it hard to enable one without the other. But, if you don't like it, complain to Kobo. It's pointless continuously whining about it here.
But the problem wasn't Wifi enabling itself when BT was enabled. It was wifi enabling just from looking at the BT settings page. I am really struggling to see how that could be a rational design decision.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 07:39 AM   #760
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
But the problem wasn't Wifi enabling itself when BT was enabled. It was wifi enabling just from looking at the BT settings page. I am really struggling to see how that could be a rational design decision.
For whatever reason, the design is that WiFi gets enabled whenever Bluetooth is enabled. When you viewed the Bluetooth settings page, Bluetooth was automatically enabled. Which meant that WiFi was also enabled. Yes, WiFi was being enabled because you visited the Bluetooth settings page. But, it was because Bluetooth was being enabled.

And to be clear, I have never made a claim that this was a good design. But, I can see why it might have been chosen. I can also imagine the arguments that went on about it.
Old 04-16-2022, 07:48 AM   #761
Laen
Laen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why would you reset your Glo? You can just install 4.32 and be done with it.

See the thread on 4.32 at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=346239
You dont read what I wrote!
4.32 is Installed and the problem are not change!
You can write hundert Times that I should install it when it is already Installed!

Gesendet von meinem SM-G991B mit Tapatalk
Laen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 08:33 AM   #762
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laen View Post
You dont read what I wrote!
4.32 is Installed and the problem are not change!
You can write hundert Times that I should install it when it is already Installed!
Sorry, you posted in the thread discussing firmware version 4.31.19086 that you had some problems after installing a firmware. The assumption is that this would have been firmware version 4.31.19086, otherwise you would have reported it in another thread. Looking at the problems you reported, they could have been effects of the heavily discussed issues. One of them was that the device was not tracking the reading status and that could show as the issues that you mentioned. And @JSWolf's original statement that you install firmware version 4.32.19501 was a reasonable suggestion (though I do agree he has a tendency to not actually read posts or gives the answer he wants to give).

The problem described could have been fixed with 4.32.19501. But, it is possible that the problem now is that the database is corrupt.

But, looking at all your posts, it could be the SD card. You state that you changed form a 64GB to 128GB card. Was it actually working with the 64GB card? From memory, when people started changing the cards in the Glo, they had trouble with 32GB cards. Some would not work, some would not. I don't remember if anyone tried 64GB cards as I don't think they existed at the time. But, I would not be surprised if there was a problem with larger cards.
Old 04-16-2022, 09:16 AM   #763
Laen
Laen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
But, looking at all your posts, it could be the SD card. You state that you changed form a 64GB to 128GB card. Was it actually working with the 64GB card? From memory, when people started changing the cards in the Glo, they had trouble with 32GB cards. Some would not work, some would not. I don't remember if anyone tried 64GB cards as I don't think they existed at the time. But, I would not be surprised if there was a problem with larger cards.
No Problems with 64gb (had ist half of a year in it) and 128gb intern or 64gb extern.
The Problems are now away after factory reset.
the Problems was only the 4 last read books on the home screen and die cover in stand by mode.
all other worked fine.
with database corrupt all would be not working.

there was other users on the web that had 128gb intern.

Last edited by Laen; 04-16-2022 at 09:20 AM.
Laen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 10:34 AM   #764
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
@Laen, if you do reinstall 4.32, head over to the 4.32 thread to discuss.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 12:01 PM   #765
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

That's how you use WiFi. Personally, WiFi is on for my laptop whenever I am using it. Same for my phone, my iPad and all my Kobo devices. The convenience of having them on for me to use when I want to use them far outweighs any perceived problems with having them on.

i can't think of another device where enabling one enables the other.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release