Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-28-2022, 02:24 PM   #16
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
So far as I know, Kobo doesn't have a way to export highlights/notes. Am I wrong there?

Otherwise a Kobo seems like it would fit your requirements.
Annotations AND/OR the Kobo Utilities in Calibre. Also in the user editable config you can add a menu item on hold on title to export that book's highlights, bookmarks and notes.

Kobo is the absolute best for highlights/notes using either the built-in option (off by defualt) or free Calibre on Mac, Linux or Windows.

I don't use paper at all to proof & edit books. Save As an extra docx, make an epub in Calibre, read & annotate, copy back annotations with highlighted source, chapter & % of book via Calibre (Kobo Utilities) into a Text window beside the Wordprocessor.

You can also save the info into Calibre meta data via the Annotations plugin. Kindle, Sony, Nook, Boyue are rubbish in comparison.

Maybe over 700 times proofed / copied back etc on many epub novels.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 02:44 PM   #17
jviscosi
Connoisseur
jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Focus, Nook Glowlight 4/4+, Inkbook Obsidian, Kindle Keyboard
When I was using a Pocketbook InkPad 3 I installed KOReader on it and basically lived in the app full-time instead of using the stock Pocketbook reader. I'm not sure how well KOReader supports collections, but I used Calibre to organize books into folders and then accessed them that way from inside KOReader. I never used it to write or export notes/highlights but supposedly it can do that.
jviscosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 02:36 PM   #18
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Annotations AND/OR the Kobo Utilities in Calibre. Also in the user editable config you can add a menu item on hold on title to export that book's highlights, bookmarks and notes.

Kobo is the absolute best for highlights/notes using either the built-in option (off by defualt) or free Calibre on Mac, Linux or Windows.

I don't use paper at all to proof & edit books. Save As an extra docx, make an epub in Calibre, read & annotate, copy back annotations with highlighted source, chapter & % of book via Calibre (Kobo Utilities) into a Text window beside the Wordprocessor.

You can also save the info into Calibre meta data via the Annotations plugin. Kindle, Sony, Nook, Boyue are rubbish in comparison.

Maybe over 700 times proofed / copied back etc on many epub novels.
Wow! That's an impressive work flow!
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 02:37 PM   #19
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jviscosi View Post
When I was using a Pocketbook InkPad 3 I installed KOReader on it and basically lived in the app full-time instead of using the stock Pocketbook reader. I'm not sure how well KOReader supports collections, but I used Calibre to organize books into folders and then accessed them that way from inside KOReader. I never used it to write or export notes/highlights but supposedly it can do that.
I'm checking out Pocketbook and KoReader. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2022, 05:09 AM   #20
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
But does Kobo have anything like Kindle Mate, which is very useful for exporting highlights and notes?
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 05:38 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
But does Kobo have anything like Kindle Mate, which is very useful for exporting highlights and notes?
There are Kobo Utilities and the Annotation plugins.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 06:13 AM   #22
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There are Kobo Utilities and the Annotation plugins.
Which are far better than anything to do with the Kindle. I've still 3 Kindles and they are poor compared to Kobo for annotations, highlights & bookmarks.

I use the Kobo Utilities rather than the Annotation plugin as I'm only dealing with one book at a time & copy/paste into a text editor to have beside the wordprocessor window.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 09:13 AM   #23
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I personally use an Android e-ink device (that you can't buy anymore). I know, I know ... hear me out.
It has very old version of Android, where I installed a very simple Nook Touch Launcher and a few reading apps. All I ever use on it is AlReader (not aireader, but alreader) reader that has support for e-ink screens. All other apps on it suck. The only time I am outside AlReader interface is when I have to restart it, or when battery dies and it starts up again. I find myself in a launcher and start AlReader immediately. There is nothing else to do on it, just read. You choose the book to read from within the AlReader app.
AlReader is available as a free download and supports Android 1.6 and up.
http://www.alreader.com/?lang=en

So, if you do not find the ideal e-ink reader, there is always an option of installing that on an Android one and forgetting there is other stuff available.

I do not use collections, AlReader can browse hierarchical directories and I always make a "catalog" of all books I load on the reader using Calibre.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 02:39 PM   #24
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
I hate selecting text with my fingers, even on an Android LCD. But I rarely have to because I rarely take notes or quote something. YMMV. I do have a feature to just select/copy all the text that is visible on the screen. If I need some selection of it I can just edit it down. In point of fact I never even use this.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 10:37 PM   #25
Desertway
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Which are far better than anything to do with the Kindle. I've still 3 Kindles and they are poor compared to Kobo for annotations, highlights & bookmarks.

I use the Kobo Utilities rather than the Annotation plugin as I'm only dealing with one book at a time & copy/paste into a text editor to have beside the wordprocessor window.
I'm curious about this. How is Kobo better for annotations and highlights? Right now, I upload my clippings.txt file to both Readwise (cloud) and Obsidian (local), which works well for me.
Old 04-14-2022, 04:11 PM   #26
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I sympathize. I found my old kindle keyboard MUCH easier to navigate then my paperwhite.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote