Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-27-2021, 03:39 PM   #2056
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Why Knot? Is on sale again:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IF3UOQ4

highly recommended as one of the few knot books which doesn't have egregious errors (insofar as I could tell when reading and tieing things).
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 04:31 PM   #2057
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
Note that Steinbeck is in the public domain if you are lucky enough to live in or visit Canada or the few other countries with reasonable copyright laws. However this title is pretty obscure, and neither Faded Page nor PG Canada had it when I looked.
I got a Delphi collection of his works about two years ago and The Harvest Gypsies is included in there.
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 06:42 AM   #2058
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow by Yuval Noah Harari, author of Sapiens, is free at Kindle.

Quote:
…an equally original, compelling, and provocative book, turning his focus toward humanity’s future, and our quest to upgrade humans into gods.
Also free at Kobo:

https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/homo-deus-1/

Last edited by issybird; 11-29-2021 at 06:45 AM.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 11:34 AM   #2059
elaysee
Groupie
elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook, Kobo, Kindle, iPad
I noticed a few other free titles from Harper imprints, including

Beyond the Body Farm: A Legendary Bone Detective Explores Murders, Mysteries, and the Revolution in Forensic Science, by Bill Bass and Jon Jefferson (Amazon US).

Quote:
In this riveting book, the bone sleuth explores the rise of modern forensic science, using fascinating cases from his career to take readers into the real world of C.S.I.
elaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 10:07 AM   #2060
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Habit of Being, the letters of Flannery O’Connor, one of the greatest of American Southern writers, is on sale for $2.99. Kobo also, but I’ll only give the smile link:

https://smile.amazon.com/Habit-Being...dp/B009LRWWKE/
Old 12-16-2021, 03:10 PM   #2061
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

On my shortlist of prose stylists I most admire and enjoy is the wonderful Peg Bracken. Good news for fellow fans and fans-to-be, her seminal I Hate to Cook Book is on sale for $1.99. While I think comparisons are invidious, I’d compare her to P.G. Wodehouse. Seriously. And no, it’s not about the recipes, although it’s a fascinating view of how we ate, at least in the USA hinterlands, in 1960. Highly recommended. Obviously.

https://smile.amazon.com/Hate-Cook-B...dp/B003JTHXIG/
Old 12-16-2021, 05:26 PM   #2062
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Thanks Issa — Peg Bracken caught my attention. I’m doing more cooking now, so simple but pleasing recipes sounds just right!
badgoodDeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 05:33 PM   #2063
GA Russell
Opening Day June 6
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
On my shortlist of prose stylists I most admire and enjoy is the wonderful Peg Bracken. Good news for fellow fans and fans-to-be, her seminal I Hate to Cook Book is on sale for $1.99. While I think comparisons are invidious, I’d compare her to P.G. Wodehouse. Seriously. And no, it’s not about the recipes, although it’s a fascinating view of how we ate, at least in the USA hinterlands, in 1960. Highly recommended. Obviously.

https://smile.amazon.com/Hate-Cook-B...dp/B003JTHXIG/
OK, I'll bite.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 05:57 PM   #2064
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Thanks Issa — Peg Bracken caught my attention. I’m doing more cooking now, so simple but pleasing recipes sounds just right!
You might find that the recipes need a scootch more seasoning! The other unsettling aspect is how very small the portion sizes are. Sigh. But it passes the first rule of cookbooks - it’s just a really good read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
OK, I'll bite.
Old 12-19-2021, 12:11 PM   #2065
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Just finished Weapons of Math Destruction bu Cathy O'Neil. Highly recommended. Mathematical background not required.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Yes, I enjoyed that too (read it about 18 months ago). It probably should become required reading for software developers.
Also see:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ostcount=28786
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weapon...th_Destruction

And today it is on sale on amazon.com for $2.99
https://www.amazon.com//dp/B019B6VCLO/

The author has a PhD in Mathematics and worked as data scientist at a hedge fund until realizing that algoritms are being weaponized, and thus has the competence and inside knowledge to write on the subject.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 11:58 AM   #2066
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My Autobiography by Charles Chaplin is on sale today at amazon.com for $1.99

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009U9SABS/

I read it a few years ago and enjoyed it.
Old 12-20-2021, 12:55 PM   #2067
GA Russell
Opening Day June 6
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
algoritms are being weaponized...
I have seen this statement before (with an "h"!! ), but I don't know what it means.

Can you please give us an example of what a weaponized algorithm does, and its creator's intention?

Thanks!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 06:33 PM   #2068
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Can you please give us an example of what a weaponized algorithm does, and its creator's intention?
I have replied in a thread in the Lounge.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=343826
Old 12-26-2021, 10:03 AM   #2069
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

The Anarchy: The East India Company, Corporate Violence, and the Pillage of an Empire by William Dalrymple is down to $1.99 at Kindle; still $9.99 at Google and $13.59 at Kobo.

I figure the subtitle gives the gist. I’ve read other books by Dalrymple which I’ve enjoyed and this has been a wishlist item for me.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07W952J1F/
Old 12-29-2021, 07:40 AM   #2070
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Another by William Dalrymple ``, plus Anita Armand:

Kohinoor: The Story of the World’s Most Infamous Diamond is only 69¢ at Kindle ($9.99 at Google). This one wasn’t wishlist, but at that price I’m sold.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B081YZG5XD