Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: If you can't read for extended periods on LCD, have you adjusted the brightness?
No, I have have never tried adjusting the brightness on my LCD device(s) 2 6.45%
Yes, I have adjusted the brightness on my LCD device(s) 29 93.55%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-2021, 10:34 AM   #16
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I think the poll indicates that for whatever reason people can’t/won’t read for protracted periods on LCD, it’s not because they don’t adjust the lighting. So given that, I can’t imagine that they don’t adjust the background colors while they’re at it.

Perhaps it would have been interesting to have an option for, “I can’t get the light down low enough on my LCD device.” That can be an issue for me with phones and I remember having to use a Screen Dim app on the first Fire Tablet to make it comfortable to use.
My phone can be adjusted too dim to see, so that's not my issue.
It's worse at the higher end, isn't always bright enough if I'm in a car or near a window.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:40 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
None of the apps I've tried for reading library books (my primary reading material) have very good color and font weight options. Sepia is barely tinted. Text is either regular or extra bold, nothing in between.

However, I also end up with eyestrain if I use my phone too long for other things such as online shopping, where text size and colors are varied, in my case at least the problem seems to be with the device.

When I'm using my phone on my couch at home I have to adjust the brightness manually. The auto adjust on my current phone works ok in some conditions but it seems to be confused by the lighting in my living room and will randomly adjust itself too bright or too dim.
That is an excellent point on the font weight. I find that having too light a font can make it not all tat comfortable to read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:40 AM   #18
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
None of the apps I've tried for reading library books (my primary reading material) have very good color and font weight options. Sepia is barely tinted. Text is either regular or extra bold, nothing in between.
The Kindle app on iDevices did add a green background, but it's much too saturated with color, with no way to adjust it except for the brightness, which doesn't really help.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:58 AM   #19
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
The Kindle app on iDevices did add a green background, but it's much too saturated with color, with no way to adjust it except for the brightness, which doesn't really help.
Yeah, if you can't adjust the contrast or font weight that would be useless.

Apps I've used for library books:
Overdrive
Libby
Kobo

All of these have either black on white, white on black, or black on sepia. Sepia is barely tinted.
White on black doesn't work for me.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 11:20 AM   #20
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
My new Dell laptop has the "lowest is too bright" issue and I installed a dimmer app (Iris). It's an expensive device, so I was very surprised at this. None of my other/earlier laptops and tablets (Lenovo and Microsoft Surface mostly) has or has had this problem, not even the very cheap ones. Still, the Iris app is very good, so I'm satisfied.

My phone generally doesn't have the too bright issue either, except for in total darkness (where I seldom use it).

But I still cannot read a novel on LCD. And the colors don't matter. I've tried any old combination.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 03:28 PM   #21
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
If I turn the brightness down enough on LCD screens to be comfortable, the font contrast is too poor. I've tried several different color combinations, none have helped for long-term reading. (I do read a few chapters every now and then on my Blackberry Q10.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 03:33 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
If I turn the brightness down enough on LCD screens to be comfortable, the font contrast is too poor. I've tried several different color combinations, none have helped for long-term reading. (I do read a few chapters every now and then on my Blackberry Q10.)
Some programs allow you to use a font of your choice. You can use a program such as Fontforge to add weight to a font.
Old 05-12-2021, 05:51 PM   #23
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Some programs allow you to use a font of your choice. You can use a program such as Fontforge to add weight to a font.
Too much work to read on a platform that's not comfortable for my eyes anyhow. And no guarantee it would work. My simpler solution is to use eInk eReaders (and even there I use bolder fonts). Unlike some here, I do a lot of reading in the dark and an eInk reader with "warm" light seems to be the ideal device.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 03:45 PM   #24
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Depending on the screen, I've encountered:

* Doesn't go down far enough. Although screen dimmers and/or special color settings can help.

* Not enough contrast when it does go down far enough.

* Too much glare/reflection when it does go down far enough.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 03:50 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Too much work to read on a platform that's not comfortable for my eyes anyhow. And no guarantee it would work. My simpler solution is to use eInk eReaders (and even there I use bolder fonts). Unlike some here, I do a lot of reading in the dark and an eInk reader with "warm" light seems to be the ideal device.
I've never read on an eInk device with a warm light. I've always read on my H2O at a light level of 4/100. The H2O can go very bright at 100.