Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-01-2020, 04:44 PM   #1
disp00
disp00 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Post Any way to revive a dead Kindle 3?

Hi. Thanks for reading my post. I'm writing this in a final attempt to see if anyone has any suggestions on how I can bring my Kindle 3 back to life.

It all started a while back when I went to read and the screen stated 'Empty Battery'. So I tried the often suggested, let it charge for 24+ hours. Tried that and same result. I then noticed the back was bulging a little where the battery is located...opened the device up and the battery was indeed bulging.

So off to Ebay, where I purchased an after market replacement battery...waited a few days and installed the new battery. After installation, I let it charge for 24 hours plus and got the 'Empty Battery' screen.

Things I have tried:

### Replaced the original battery
- I bought a replacement battery off of ebay

### Charge the device
- I've tried charging: via USB power (computer), via stock charger & stock cable, via stock charger & alt cable, via alt charger & stock cable
- I tried charging before and after installing the replacement battery.

I'm not sure if this is relevant but I've noticed (I've been trying to resurrect this thing for a couple of weeks now) that even when charging on the 'Empty Battery' screen, eventually the orange charging light will go off.

### Measured voltage on the new battery
I also measured the voltage on the newly purchased battery (after one of the many extended charging sessions) and it measured at 3.7 volts.

### 'Soft reset'
1. Press and hold on the power switch for 15 seconds.
- This just takes me back to the 'Empty Battery' screen.

### 'Hard reset'
1. Press and hold on the power switch for 15 seconds.
2. Wait for the green light, then press and hold 'HOME'.
3. On the device reset screen, type in "RESET"
4. On the recovery mode screen, press R.
- Here the screen says, please wait while your Kindle starts up...I eventually get a progress bar and it gets about 30% complete and back to the 'Empty Battery' screen

### Kubrick
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=206064

- This took hours...the first attempt I started late in the evening and ended up leaving it overnight but it did seem to complete.
- I have since tried a couple more times and it gets stuck on the firmware complete (which takes about an hour or 2) and the 'Next' button is never re-enabled. If it helps, I can document this in further detail.

### Contacting Amazon Support
I was told no dice, but they gave me a decent offer on a discount.

---

So, any suggestions on:

- anything I can do to bring this device back to life?
- any where I can sell or give away the device for parts (if I can't bring it back to life)?
disp00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 06:36 PM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by disp00 View Post
- any where I can sell or give away the device for parts (if I can't bring it back to life)?
It’s probably most valuable as a trade-in on a new Kindle at Amazon. Even a broken Kindle will get you a discount and a gift credit.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 11:52 AM   #3
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Bad replacement battery or shot charging circuit as a fully charged lithium ion battery should read 4.2 volts. 3.7 volts is basically discharged. A lot of the batteries for older Kindles offered on ebay are old stock even if never used and are beyond their shelf life. The K3 or Kindle Keyboard is now about 10 years old. I am not sure if anyone offers newly manufactured batteries for older model Kindle readers.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 01:47 PM   #4
disp00
disp00 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
Bad replacement battery or shot charging circuit as a fully charged lithium ion battery should read 4.2 volts. 3.7 volts is basically discharged. A lot of the batteries for older Kindles offered on ebay are old stock even if never used and are beyond their shelf life. The K3 or Kindle Keyboard is now about 10 years old. I am not sure if anyone offers newly manufactured batteries for older model Kindle readers.
Good to know, thanks!
disp00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 06:36 PM   #5
Savoir
Savoir began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite B01B 5.6.1.1
I had a similar situation this month. I'd left my 3rd Gen Kindle on a shelf for quite a few years and when I tried to use it again I got the same results you had. I bought a replacement battery (link below) from Amazon and it worked fine after that.
Don't discount the damaged charging circuitry advice however.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...t_b_prod_image
Savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 10:26 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
Certainly one Kindle Keyboard 3 battery was dated one month before shipping and one was 11 months old. Cells bought from China on eBay this year summer/autumn.

A Kindle DXG replacement cell pack was about a year old also bought this summer.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, kindle3, kubrick