Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 09-20-2020, 03:14 AM   #1
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
numbers as text

It's late and my brain is mush. How do you spell out numbers above 100? I'm wanting to say One Hundred and One, but above 109 I want to drop the "and".

(I realized that I've never read Moby Dick and decided to give it a go and beforehand do my usual clean up of the PG version. It's 135 chapters and the Sigil plugin that renumbers chapters only allows up to 100 chapters; heh.)
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 04:03 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
For numbers up to 1001 you may consult this book :

Quote:
And when it was the hundred and thirty-fifth night...
Disclaimer: it uses ordinals, it's very old-style, I'm not a native speaker.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:44 AM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
It's late and my brain is mush. How do you spell out numbers above 100? I'm wanting to say One Hundred and One, but above 109 I want to drop the "and".

(I realized that I've never read Moby Dick and decided to give it a go and beforehand do my usual clean up of the PG version. It's 135 chapters and the Sigil plugin that renumbers chapters only allows up to 100 chapters; heh.)
I'm curious how you spelled out 40 and how you decided.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 12:15 PM   #4
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
For numbers up to 1001 you may consult this book :

Disclaimer: it uses ordinals, it's very old-style, I'm not a native speaker.
Great, thanks. I don't know why I didn't download that when you uploaded it.
Old 09-20-2020, 12:18 PM   #5
hobnail
Running with scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I'm curious how you spelled out 40 and how you decided.
Forty? I don't understand the question. What are the alternatives to Forty that you're thinking of? Two score, ten more than thirty?

I use the renumber chapters sigil plugin, so no deciding for me. But it only goes to One Hundred so then I had to decide.
Old 09-20-2020, 12:20 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
There is PG version?
I do have a PD version. But not read it for many years, paper then.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 12:34 PM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Forty? I don't understand the question. What are the alternatives to Forty that you're thinking of? Two score, ten more than thirty?
Fourty. I now see see that all the top web search hits say it fell out of use over 200 years ago, but I remember being taught (much much less than 200 years ago) that either was acceptable.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 12:35 PM   #8
hobnail
Running with scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
There is PG version?
I do have a PD version. But not read it for many years, paper then.
Yes, and they have three versions. I don't know why, and they have a comment that the first one is the best;

Quote:
Project Gutenberg eBook #15 is believed to have the highest quality of the three editions of this eBook in the Project Gutenberg collection. #2701 and #2489 are the others. In addition, there is a computer-generated audio eBook, #9147, and a human audio performance, #28794.
But then #2701 has the most downloads by far.

Last edited by hobnail; 09-20-2020 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-20-2020, 12:37 PM   #9
hobnail
Running with scissors

Quote:
Fourty. I now see see that all the top web search hits say it fell out of use over 200 years ago, but I remember being taught (much much less than 200 years ago) that either was acceptable.
Here in the US that would seem to me to be an odd spelling. But then so would colour and centre, etc.

Last edited by hobnail; 09-20-2020 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:53 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Fawty [Towers of Babel]
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 03:12 AM   #11
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Hmm... Even the 1001 Nights (British spelling, 140 years old, even older language) uses "forty", but it might be the translator's/printer's oversight.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:50 AM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

https://books.google.com/ngrams/grap...6&smoothing=2#

Looks like Fourty fell out of use 300+ years ago - and even before tgat Forty had more use.

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-21-2020 at 05:54 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote