Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-30-2020, 05:27 PM   #766
ivp
ivp began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
English-Ukrainian Kobo dictionary

Here is two English-Ukrainian Kobo dictionaries.

Source dictionaries I took from here,
and I have converted to Kobo format using Penelope.

dicthtml-en-ua.zip
English-Ukrainian dictionary
Words count: 63,287
Qualitatively decorated, looks good in Kobo.

dicthtml-en-ua-2.zip
slovnyk_en-uk
Words count: 138,169
In terms of the number of words, this should be larger, but in terms of quality of design, it is worse.
Attached Files
File Type: zip dicthtml-en-ua.zip (1.42 MB, 371 views)
File Type: zip dicthtml-en-ua-2.zip (1.89 MB, 330 views)
ivp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:47 AM   #767
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0, Kobo Clara HD,Poke2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel026 View Post
Yes. I'd appreciate it if you could help me find a good one, thanks!
I did an experimental version. I sent you a private message
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2020, 02:11 PM   #768
colette7
colette7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl_ View Post
dicthtml-en-sv.zip___________is English>Swedish and Swedish>Interlingua
new.dicthtml-en-sv.zip________is English>Swedish and Swedish>English
dicthtml-sv-ie.zip____________is Swedish>Interlingua
Wordcounts:
Swedish>Interlingua 90136
Swedish>English 23340
Hello ! Thank you for this work, I desperately try to install the en/sv sv/en dict on my Kobo Clara HD but it's not working... When I let the en-sv name of the file it does not show up later on my kobo, and if I change the name of it for en-de for exemple, it just comes back to the original language of the dictionary that is already downloaded on the kobo, even if when I update the kobo it seems to download the dictionary. Would you have a solution ? Thank you
PS : I'm from France and bought the Kobo in France
colette7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:20 AM   #769
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0, Kobo Clara HD,Poke2
Quote:
Originally Posted by colette7 View Post
Hello ! Thank you for this work, I desperately try to install the en/sv sv/en dict on my Kobo Clara HD but it's not working... When I let the en-sv name of the file it does not show up later on my kobo, and if I change the name of it for en-de for exemple, it just comes back to the original language of the dictionary that is already downloaded on the kobo, even if when I update the kobo it seems to download the dictionary. Would you have a solution ? Thank you
PS : I'm from France and bought the Kobo in France
Make sure you have the original kobo dictionaries downloaded and enabled in the settings, and replace them with yours using the exact name of the original.

You must repeat the steps if you do a firmware update (that I disabled)
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 04:42 AM   #770
colette7
colette7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl_ View Post
Make sure you have the original kobo dictionaries downloaded and enabled in the settings, and replace them with yours using the exact name of the original.

You must repeat the steps if you do a firmware update (that I disabled)
Thank you so much for your quick answer!! Effectively it worked after I disabled the automatic update. Have a nice day !
colette7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2020, 07:27 PM   #771
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Hey looking for a dictionary that was posted either in this thread (though I can't find it now), or somewhere on the Kobo forums.

I know it combined several dictionaries, when loaded into my Kobo bits were highlighted, I don't know which dictionaries were in it, but I believe it was GCIDE and maybe Wikitionary, possible a third.

I don't think it was one which was deleted re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A number of posts have been deleted. Please do not post copyrighted material here (or anywhere else for that matter). The fact that your reading device contains copyrighted dictionaries does not mean that you can arbitrarily post them elsewhere without permission.
And of course if it was, all I'd want is confirmation that it was and I'll just have to make do with the Wiki+GCIDE combo that Owl_ has posted.

Thanks in advance.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:50 AM   #772
baskerville
Evangelist
baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura ONE
WordNet 3.1 XML with inflections

An XML version of WordNet 3.1 in the dictd format with headword inflections. I've used the irregular forms present in the WordNet data files (*.exc) in conjunction with LemmInflect.
Attached Files
File Type: zip wordnet_3.1_xml_with_inflections-dictd.zip (9.89 MB, 684 views)

Last edited by baskerville; 08-12-2020 at 04:58 AM.
baskerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 02:50 PM   #773
Pioneer129
Pioneer129 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo aura h2o, kobo glo, pocketbook 622, Kobo Aura one
Desperately looking for a hand of an expert

After going through a laborious 2 days struggle to install a custom dictionary on my kobo, here is the story of my partial failure.
1. I downloaded a custom English dictionary of @Owl and copied its dictml file into kobo/dict and replaced it with original Portuges dictionary.
2. I did get a dictionary for a short period. However, as soon as I sync my kobo, the dictionary disappears. I tried different sequences, marked the dictionary as read only from the properties option of the file. But the second I sync my kobp for loading Articles (which I am a huge fan), my dictionary disappears.

After wasting my 2 precious days on how to workout this problem using the help of this forum, I couldn't do it.

I didn't try the kobopatch thing neither did I tried anything else except read only thing coz I am not a tech guy plus the informations were scattered in the forum due to which I was unable to use them to solve my problem.

SO HERE IS MY REQUEST to all the members who are always ready to help the other members in need of help, like me.
I would really appreciate the help of someone to lay down for me, the full procedure of installing a dictionary (from A to Z) including provision of appropriate links and their usages (in details as I haven't used/experienced kobopatches or for that matter, anything like that, that's why in-depth explanation will be highly appreciated).
Much thanks in advance

P.S I am using kobo aura h2o FW 4.22.15190
Pioneer129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 03:03 PM   #774
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
If you don't want to use the kobopatch system and because it's an English dictionary, you might want to try the following simple trick:
  1. Rename the dictionary from whatever.zip to dicthtml-en-en.zip
  2. Copy it to the same .kobo/dict directory you used previously
  3. Reboot

It should now appear in the dictionary drop-down menu as 'English - English' right underneath the Kobo default 'English' option.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 03:47 PM   #775
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
If you want to use the patches they’re really not hard to set up.

You’re already doing the dictionary replacement part correctly so o won’t go over that.

For the patches
1)?Go to the thread in the developer’s forum for the firmware you’re patching (they’re named in a way that makes this easy just match the numbers)
2) download the patch file for the firmware you’re patching (again just match numbers)
3) uncompress this patch file
4) from the thread for patching there’s also a link to the relevant firmware download this (make sure your device and the firmware numbers match)
5) put the firmware file (still compressed) in the src folder which is in the kobo patch folder
6) also in the src folder are different files ending in .yaml open them and change ‘no’ to ‘yes’ for any patch you want enabled. Note you must use a text program that respects Unix formatting, if you’re on a Mac text edit will work perfectly. If you’re on Windows I believe word pad will work, if you open the file and it’s just one giant paragraph it doesn’t work find another)
7) creating the patch file
7a) for me on Mac I’ve always done it this way. Open terminal (in the utilities folder) type cd and the file path to the kobo patch folder. If you don’t know how to type a file path then just type cd and drag the kobo patch folder on to the terminal window. Once you have this all typed hit enter.
7b) from the kobo patch folder drag and drop kobopatch.sh into the terminal window. If you’re on OS X Catalina you’ll get an error message. Click ok or just dismiss it. Open system preferences go to security unlock the settings there should be a message near the bottom about kobopatch.sh being stopped and an option to open anyway. Allow it to open. Repeat this step. You should see a lot of text scroll by in terminal hopefully ending in a success message.
7c) for Windows I believe you can just double click the kobopatch.bat file. I don’t know if anything is displayed after this.
8) if your attempt was successful in the kobo patch folder there will be an out folder. In that folder will be a KoboRoot.tgz file. If there’s no file of this name something didn’t work.
9) plug your kobo in to your computer. Open the kobo disk that loads. There should be a .kobo folder (if there isn’t then google “show hidden folders on” whatever OS you’re using I’m not detailing this here because it’s easily available with a google search). Open the .kobo folder and drag the KoboRoot.tgz file to it. Once it’s done copying over (should be fairly quick) eject your kobo the same way you’d normally eject a disk from your computer.
10) if you followed the instructions correctly your Kobo will reboot shortly and display the same screen it does when updating its firmware. If this doesn’t happen within say five minutes you probably didn’t put the file in the right place just plug your kobo back in and double check.

Don’t let not being techy stop you. There’s fairly little risk if you pay attention to the first steps about getting the right files. So again make sure that the patch is for the firmware you’re using, make sure you matched the device and the firmware for the firmware file. And you should be fine.

For the patch you need for the dictionary not to disappear see

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=92
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:41 AM   #776
Pioneer129

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
[*]Rename the dictionary from whatever.zip to dicthtml-en-en.zip[*]Copy it to the same .kobo/dict directory you used previously[*]Reboot[/LIST]
Thank u Jackie, my problem was far worse than I had imagined. Your solution couldn't help it. But on the brighter side, the solution of MGlitch did work and my problem is now solved. Thanks to both of you
Old 07-04-2020, 09:47 AM   #777
Pioneer129

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
If you want to use the patches they’re really not hard to set up.

You’re already doing the dictionary replacement part correctly so o won’t go over that.

For the patch you need for the dictionary not to disappear see

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=92
Hi, this solution you proposed did the trick. It was a lengthy one, but thankfully my problem has been solved now. I have just few additional questions related to this whole process.
1. The koboRoot file that I copied to my Kobo directory has disappeared. Can u tell me where has it gone?
2. In future, if I have to apply some new patch, would I have to create a new KoboRoot file every time all over again and then copy it to .kobo directory of my kobo device, or there is a simplified way for installation new patches?
Thanks
Old 07-04-2020, 10:56 AM   #778
giv
giv began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Hi all.
I have put the Romanian dictionary into the proper directory on my Kobo Forma (http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...&postcount=393) but the dictionary is not recognized by the device.
Any hints?
giv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 01:13 PM   #779
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by giv View Post
Any hints?
Add to Kobo eReader.conf
Code:
[ApplicationPreferences]
ExtraLocales=ro
To avoid such problems and similar issues, use dicutil.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:07 AM   #780
baran
baran began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Indonesian - English Dictionary

Can somebody help me to find a good Indonesian English dictionary please? Can't seem to find anything in the internet.
baran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo dictionaries