Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 01-09-2020, 10:16 PM   #1
JennDupre21
JennDupre21 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle FIre 1st Gen
First Gen - Network error newbie

Hi everyone! I took in a lonesome 1st Gen who needed a good home. It was "factory reset". I immediately noticed that although I could browse the internet via the web tab, I can't operate either app store due to a "network error." A quick google search stated that at some point years ago there was a necessary update that would fix the issue (1.2.1), so I downloaded it and dropped it in the root folder. Went to settings and... saw it's actually on version 6.3.4?!

My question is what, if anything, can I do to make this bad boy connect to the app stores correctly. Technically I can use it without, but I'd really appreciate it if anyone knows how to fix this. Thanks!

JennDupre21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:52 PM   #2
JennDupre21
JennDupre21 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle FIre 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennDupre21 View Post
Hi everyone! I took in a lonesome 1st Gen who needed a good home. It was "factory reset". I immediately noticed that although I could browse the internet via the web tab, I can't operate either app store due to a "network error." A quick google search stated that at some point years ago there was a necessary update that would fix the issue (1.2.1), so I downloaded it and dropped it in the root folder. Went to settings and... saw it's actually on version 6.3.4?!

My question is what, if anything, can I do to make this bad boy connect to the app stores correctly. Technically I can use it without, but I'd really appreciate it if anyone knows how to fix this. Thanks!

Let me correct, 1st Gen kindle fire
JennDupre21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 01:04 AM   #3
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
There is a dedicated Fire forum, where you would presumably garner more replies.
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 02:00 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
"but I'd really appreciate it if anyone knows how to fix this."

why not ask amazon ?

the obvious steps are factory reset it again , so you know its been done properly, then connect it to internet and register it, then wait for it to find the needed updates.

you can manually tell it to look for updates, via settings, a few times
its all a bit pointless though as its so old and slow by modern standards, and incapable of running many of the most useful apps
wifipedia will give you its exact capabilities
if amazon say its too old to run the app store, they will probably offer a denerous discount on a new one
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 05:39 AM   #5
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
The irony of it all.
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:07 AM   #6
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
if u consult wikipedia, if it really is 1st gen kindle fire , that's a 2011 device running amazon's fork of android 2.3.3. ( amazon version 6.3.4.)
the changes of finding any app , nowadays, that is android 2 compatible is ,er, lets say remote ( to be polite)
chances improve if its a 2012 2nd gen, as that's android 4. still going to be a poor experience though
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Fire_tablet#Models

the same google search tells me that ebay has several 1st gen kindle fires for sale, for the gullible
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:35 PM   #7
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Right across the top of the Fire you will see a line of words...Shop>Games> Apps Tap Apps that takes you to the Amazon App Store.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote