Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-23-2016, 05:47 PM   #76
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
There are some pics that make you think there is one, but when you look closer, you realize that the USB port belongs to the Oasis and not to the cover itself. It happened to me, until I read the German review of the device on lesen.net where Johannes specifies that there is no USB port on the cover, so I tend to believe him until proven wrong.
Well this stinks.

I liked that second USB port because it meant you could treat the cover as a dock by leaving it plugged in all the time and connecting the Oasis when you weren't using it.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:06 PM   #77
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Well this stinks.

I liked that second USB port because it meant you could treat the cover as a dock by leaving it plugged in all the time and connecting the Oasis when you weren't using it.
One reviewer said yes to the port on the cover.
What I want to know if there is no port on the cover, how are you supposed to charge the bigger battery?
What everyone has implied here is the little battery charges the big battery.

The manual says if you have the usb in the kindle while on the charging cover, the kindle will get charged first.
It also says that the cover charges the kindle when not plugged in with a USB cord.

Nowhere in the manual does it say the kindle charges the cover.

If the cover does not have a charging port to get power without the kindle then it cannot be called a charging cover.

By the way, I have never seen a battery charger say it has a in port, but yet everyone of them do.
How is a 250 mAh battery going to charge a bigger battery?
It is impossible.

I would bet a $10 Amazon gift card that there is a port in the charging cover.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:20 PM   #78
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I was tempted to order from BB too since the estimated arrival date is much sooner. It's April 29th compared to May 17th but Amazon offers an installment payment plan for 5 months. 58 dollars per month although you would need to pay the whole sales tax on your first payment.

For a very expensive device like this, it might be worthwhile to wait 3 weeks in exchange to pay for a device that doesn't hurt your wallet all at once.

Last edited by Julius Caesar; 04-23-2016 at 08:47 PM.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 01:52 AM   #79
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
My guess from everything that has been said is that there is no charging port on the cover. However, this should be pretty easy to fix after the fact if Amazon gets enough requests or if an aftermarket supplier thinks the market is big enough.

Just make a cable that is USB on one end and has a five pin adapter with some magnets on the other end. Then you could plug the cover through the five-pin adapter. Since this is how it gets power through the Kindle when the Kindle is charging, this should work with existing covers.

So, if you care about this I would send Amazon an email (is kindle-feedback@amazon.com the correct address?). If they get enough requests they may add a cover charging cable.

p.s. I wonder how close the charging adapter for my Microsoft Surface Pro I is to working? Even if it fits physically I suspect it puts out the wrong power (amperage?) for the Oasis. Here is a picture of the Surface plug.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	surface pro adapter.PNG
Views:	226
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	148171  

Last edited by emellaich; 04-24-2016 at 02:09 AM. Reason: I edited the email to the proper email for feedback on the Kindle
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 03:33 AM   #80
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
One reviewer said yes to the port on the cover.
What I want to know if there is no port on the cover, how are you supposed to charge the bigger battery?
What everyone has implied here is the little battery charges the big battery.

The manual says if you have the usb in the kindle while on the charging cover, the kindle will get charged first.
It also says that the cover charges the kindle when not plugged in with a USB cord.

Nowhere in the manual does it say the kindle charges the cover.

If the cover does not have a charging port to get power without the kindle then it cannot be called a charging cover.

By the way, I have never seen a battery charger say it has a in port, but yet everyone of them do.
It is impossible.

Lesen.net has always been very thorough in their reviews and Johannes specifically wrote, and I am quoting him
Quote:
Das 107 Gramm wiegende Cover hat keine eigene Ladebuchse, es wird direkt über den eBook Reader geladen
in his review http://www.lesen.net/ereader/kindle-...e-video-25921/.

I speak fluently German (as in my husband is German, my kids are German, and it is our household language, so there is no translation mistake), and this translates to : The 107g cover does not have its own charging port, it is charged through the ebook reader.

Johannes has never written BS in his reviews. The video is very clear: no charging port on the cover he has. So unless the unit he had was a test one, and the finished product is different, which I highly doubt because this was done is the German Headquarters of Amazon and they usually only get the finished products, not the test ones, as they are only a marketing and sales unit and not a research one, there is no charging port in the cover.

Only 3 more days and we will know for sure, but if I were you, I would certainly not be betting money on that.

@emmelaich: nice idea... I have a surface pro I, but I did not order the Oasis so I won't be able to test that...

Last edited by aceflor; 04-24-2016 at 03:36 AM.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 04:13 AM   #81
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:

It is impossible.

Well obviously the battery isn't going to charge the cover, that doesn't make any sense. But when the Kindle is connected to the charger and has the cover attached then the power will go through the Kindle and top up the cover.

I'll take that $10 Amazon gift card bet by the way!
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 04:44 AM   #82
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Done.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:55 AM   #83
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
Isn´t it a bit silly to consider the cover as some sort of stationary dock, considering that the package as a whole is 240 grams?

I´m sure some 3. parties could release a 3rd party magnetic connector, like those available for regular mini-USB ports.
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:53 PM   #84
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
Actually, the price comparison may be closer than that. The voyage has two leather covers. A leather cover for $60 and a premium leather cover for $85. The premium leather features: a ruggedly smooth finish that will patina naturally with use. In the video that I watched the Oasis leather seemed to look like the more premium type.

So the comparable Voyage + Cover price may be $285.
You people who keep trying to justify the Oasis price based on "what if you buy the Voyage with a cover" arguments are missing the boat, and the whole ocean as far as I'm concerned. First, with the Voyage you have the option of several covers, or even no cover, many of which are third party cheapies. So no real comparison there, just comparing oranges to apples which is totally useless. Second, I bet that a battery toting cover if needed and available for the Voyage would cost significantly more than the current Amazon leather covers for the Voyage. Basically, your argument is stretching the logic so far beyond the limits that it is no longer recognizable as logic.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:59 PM   #85
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I can't find it, no.

Now i wonder whether I actually saw it.
LOL! This is why law enforcement and prosecutors rarely like to rely on eyewitness accounts! People tend to see things that are not there, not see things that are, and just generally screw up remembering what we think we saw. We also tend to see what we want to see or what our biases and prejudices influence us to see. Human nature, and we all do it to some degree.
Old 04-24-2016, 01:23 PM   #86
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
I have a lot of Voyage covers, including the Origami (the polythene one) and the nicest cover I have cost me £10. It's black with a white flower stamped on the front and back, it's black inside (I hate grey) and feels like silk in my hands. It's a book style so no stand but I bought a nice aluminium tablet stand for less than £10 which works perfectly with the Voyage.

As much as the Oasis will always be tempting the battery cover puts me off. I want my battery in the device and to be able to chose what type of cover I want.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 01:29 PM   #87
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I have a lot of Voyage covers, including the Origami (the polythene one) and the nicest cover I have cost me £10. It's black with a white flower stamped on the front and back, it's black inside (I hate grey) and feels like silk in my hands. It's a book style so no stand but I bought a nice aluminium tablet stand for less than £10 which works perfectly with the Voyage.

As much as the Oasis will always be tempting the battery cover puts me off. I want my battery in the device and to be able to chose what type of cover I want.
I, on the other hand, always buy the official Amazon cover, so it wouldn't bother me in the least.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 04:56 PM   #88
palazzo
Enthusiast
palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
other covers are (already) available

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?...t=kindle+oasis
palazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 05:27 PM   #89
Crhis
Enthusiast
Crhis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 7 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by palazzo View Post
Well there you go.

I'm tempted to write them off as a failure from the beginning (Oasis owners have a case by default!) but then I wouldn't have imagined that the Voyage unofficial cases would have done so well either with how nice the Origami cover was. A lot of readers seem to want that book style folding enclosure for the ereaders, everything else be damned.
Crhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 05:29 PM   #90
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
I see the casemakers couldn't be arsed to maintain the wedge shape of the back.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote