Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-11-2015, 10:24 PM   #1
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Question To Canadians using the Amazon.com Kindle library

I've had an odd thing happen to me a couple of times in the past month or so. I have my Kindle library on Amazon.com. I am Canadian, but I started off with my Kindle library on Amazon.com and I chose to leave it there and I have set my country setting on Amazon.com to Canada. I snowbird in the U.S. for winters and I change my country setting to reflect where I am physically.

When I view a Kindle book on Amazon.com when I am in Canada, I see at the top of the page the link to set my default Kindle store to Canada. In the last month or so, however, I am also seeing the option to set it to Amazon.cn, which is China. I've never been to China, I've never set my country settings to China. So I am baffled by this.

I order physical items from Amazon.ca when I am in Canada and I did order a marketplace item which ended up being shipped from China. However, I don't see what that has to do with my Amazon.com Kindle store.

I have been using links in e-mails from Book Gorilla and Book Bub to view Kindle books and for free Kindle books. I also clicked on a link in the Freebies section of this website, which brought up a url with the 'smile' word in it.

I deleted my Amazon.com cookies on my Windows laptop and all my Apple devices, logged back into my Amazon.com account, and the notice about Amazon.cn went away. I used a link in Book Gorilla and the Amazon.cn came back. I deleted the cookies again and I haven't clicked on a link from Book Gorilla since. I also didn't see the Amazon.cn notice anymore.

I have clicked on one of the links in this board which brought up the url with the word 'smile' in it. Now I have the Amazon.cn notice on Amazon.com kindle pages on 2 browsers on my laptop and the Safari browser on my iPad.

I am about to delete the Amazon.com cookies in both places again.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:37 PM   #2
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Update:

I deleted Amazon cookies and even the browser cache for the past 24 hours in my Firefox browser, and this didn't help. It worked last time, but I also think last time the Amazon.cn thing wasn't showing up in my Opera browser.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:42 PM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
My main account and my backup dubious-freebie-getting auxiliary have always been set to Canada at Amazon.com and have been giving me the exact same mixed message in all browsers for maybe about a month now (now I can shop in Yuan! yippee! ).

I'd just ignore it as a glitch.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:29 AM   #4
49Kat
Fanatic

OK, thanks. That makes me feel a lot better.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:01 AM   #5
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
FYI- the smile.amazon.com links are for charities. If you buy using the Smile links, the charity you designate gets a percentage of the sale.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:09 PM   #6
49Kat
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
FYI- the smile.amazon.com links are for charities. If you buy using the Smile links, the charity you designate gets a percentage of the sale.
Thanks, I'm glad you mentioned that. I didn't know if the smile thing was related to the issue or not. Obviously it wasn't, I was just trying to figure out what was going on. And I am happy to know that using those links provides and additional benefit to charity.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:39 AM   #7
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
The smile.amazon.com links just mean someone didn't clean up their URL before they posted the link here. I know I try to switch URLs back to www.amazon when I post them, but I'm also sure I probably missed a couple.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:00 AM   #8
Ccaro
Ccaro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ccaro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ccaro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ccaro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ccaro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ccaro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ccaro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ccaro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ccaro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ccaro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ccaro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
My odd situation

I have both Amazon.com and Amazon.ca using different email addresses, one ending in .com and one ending in .ca. I've had them for years so I think it was some kind of requirement back then but don't know if that's true today.

Just recently, all my Canadian info appeared on the .com site and all my US info appeared in my .ca site with Defaults changed resulting in my .ca Prime subscription being charged to my US bank visa card. Which added a foreign exchange service fee to make it more fun.

I wonder what happened? The only thing I have that's the same on both site is my cell phone number. Have they upgraded their database mining software to find duplicate accounts? If so, it's like the MS software that guess people's age based on their photographs. Great when it works but no way to tell it to please stop!

Anyway, I have manually deleted all Canadian info from my US account and all American info from my Canadian account. There's nothing more annoying than buying something from the US to use in the US and having it be sent to Canada or have it be charged on a Canadian credit card. I hope my manual changes stay. I did not check my .ca account before Prime was charged and didn't know the default credit card was now the US one. Which I never entered in the first place. grrrrr
Ccaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:21 AM   #9
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
The smile.amazon.com links just mean someone didn't clean up their URL before they posted the link here. I know I try to switch URLs back to www.amazon when I post them, but I'm also sure I probably missed a couple.
Since the link works perfectly well I suggest it isn't worth your trouble.

I just use the link so getting www.amazon.com then change to www.amazon.co.uk
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:16 PM   #10
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Why wouldn't you want to use the smile.amazon.com link? It is free money for your favorite charity. I have mine set to the North American Butterfly Association (NABA to those in the know). Every little bit helps.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:33 AM   #11
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
The smile link only works for people who have signed up for its use. Otherwise, they get sent to a page where they can first register for smile.amazon.com and designate their preferred charity. I prefer to keep posted links as clean as possible.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 03:03 PM   #12
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
The smile link only works for people who have signed up for its use. Otherwise, they get sent to a page where they can first register for smile.amazon.com and designate their preferred charity. I prefer to keep posted links as clean as possible.
Works fine for me (not in US)
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:11 PM   #13
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
Works fine for me (not in US)
Yes--I tried using a smile.amazon.com link to go to an amazon account that wasn't set up for it, and it automatically redirected me to www.amazon.com.

I am in the US.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote