Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-09-2015, 06:20 PM   #376
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MeeBook, Kobo Libra Colour
Eeny Meeny Miney Mo.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:25 PM   #377
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Eeny Meeny Miney Mo.
Catch an H2O by the toe.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:01 PM   #378
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Maybe use one for a month or so and then swap with your husband...of course that may backfire if both of you find you really like one more than the other! Personally, I have a Kindle PW2 and a Kobo Aura HD--and use both of them. If I had to choose one over the other, I'd probably go with the Kobo...but I'd miss the PW2 when I wanted something a little more compact to carry with me. And Harry has a good point about the dictionaries. For my purposes, the Aura's dictionary is adequate--very rarely do I run into a word that 's not in the dictionary, but the PW's dictionary has far more complete definitions.

Good luck with your decision!
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:20 AM   #379
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
I must say that I prefer the higher contrast and whiter screen of the voyage, even if it's smaller. Or does it 'cheat' by having a lit screen?
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:48 AM   #380
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerospinboson View Post
I must say that I prefer the higher contrast and whiter screen of the voyage, even if it's smaller. Or does it 'cheat' by having a lit screen?
I have both and use the Voyage much more than the H20 probably because I also read on a Fire HD6 and with the Voyage I remain in sync. Tbh I wanted the H20 for the waterproof element so it will get used most on holiday, or in the summer if we head to the beach. Plus I read in the bath on it.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:53 AM   #381
irishmac473
Enthusiast
irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
... unless of course you prefer the greater portability, much better dictionary, and more accurate touchscreen of the Voyage .

I had the voyage and had all kinds of problems with the touch screen. Long presses and highlights were fine but if I was trying to select a link it seemed like I had to press all around it to get it to register.
irishmac473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:31 AM   #382
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmac473 View Post
I had the voyage and had all kinds of problems with the touch screen. Long presses and highlights were fine but if I was trying to select a link it seemed like I had to press all around it to get it to register.
For me it was precisely the opposite: very difficult on the H2O, but never any problem with the Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 12:41 PM   #383
MandyMill
MandyMill knows that there *is* no spoonMandyMill knows that there *is* no spoonMandyMill knows that there *is* no spoonMandyMill knows that there *is* no spoonMandyMill knows that there *is* no spoonMandyMill knows that there *is* no spoonMandyMill knows that there *is* no spoonMandyMill knows that there *is* no spoonMandyMill knows that there *is* no spoonMandyMill knows that there *is* no spoonMandyMill knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Sony PRS-350
We are using one reader each for a week. I'm starting with the H2O. To be honest, with all the fiddling, side loading of books and messing with fonts, I've hardly done any actual reading since Christmas! When the week is up, I'll post my thoughts if anyone is interested?
MandyMill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 12:45 PM   #384
irishmac473
Enthusiast
irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
For me it was precisely the opposite: very difficult on the H2O, but never any problem with the Kindle.
Maybe we each just got bad units. I guess it just comes down to your preference. The only thing I miss from my Kindle is the X-ray feature. Kobo's Beyond the Book is no where near as good.
irishmac473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:00 AM   #385
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyMill View Post
We are using one reader each for a week. I'm starting with the H2O. To be honest, with all the fiddling, side loading of books and messing with fonts, I've hardly done any actual reading since Christmas! When the week is up, I'll post my thoughts if anyone is interested?
I'd be interested MandyMill. Thanks for sharing!
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:51 PM   #386
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
I still have both, and will keep both. I read on my Voyage during the day, and on my H2O in the evening when I am tired and do not want to turn the pages that often. In the evening I only read "for fun", so mostly novels, and without footnotes as I hate them on the H2O, but most of my reading is done during the day on my Voyage.

I will pass my PW2 on to another family member as I have litterally not touched it since I got the Voyage.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 02:15 PM   #387
Nightwish1976
Nightwish1976 began at the beginning.

Device: None
I have read a lot of reviews, forum post etc on both the Kobo and the Voyage. Thought about waiting to see more reviews in this thread. But i finally decided on the Voyage. Mainly beacuase i know myself to be a sucker for "design" and the Kobo looks "old" in comparison.
Now that i received the Kindle Voyage i am absolutely convinced that i made the right choice. I was weighing all advantages and disadvantages besides the design before i bought it but my gut feeling told me to go with the Kindle. I was worried that the screen would be to small, but i like it and love the fact that i it is very light and can be used easily with one hand.

the Kindle store, X-ray and OS made the decisive points. As i read a lot in hte dark the night mode was also a decisive factor. i am happy with my choice.
Nightwish1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:23 PM   #388
cct1
Connoisseur
cct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trolls

Device: multiple
[QUOTE=Nightwish1976;3027851. Mainly beacuase i know myself to be a sucker for "design" and the Kobo looks "old" in comparison.
.[/QUOTE]

Could not disagree with this more. They are different designs; the kobo is minimalist--it does not appear 'old'. There is a difference...

I get why one would prefer the Voyage over the Kobo, but owning both, the Kobo design does not appear archaic.
cct1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:43 PM   #389
iluvgadgets
Connoisseur
iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle paperwhite
I have been trying to decide between the voyage/pw or kobo h20 or the B&N glow light. What I want is an ereader with a light. I already have a couple regular kindles, and the simple touch as well as an iPad. My eyes hurt if i read a long time on the iPad. I tried the pw, and I love the size, so compact, its great, but I can't load my ebooks that are from adobe digital editions, the paperwhite does not support it. The B&N glow light works, I can side load my books and read them with no problem. I really wanted the pw to work out. I started hearing about the Kobo h2o and it would work too, I just would have to order it since they are no longer sold in stores here. I have accounts for all 3, my issue is which would be better. I could have all 3 and switch back and forth, but I have been trying to figure out which would make the most sense. LOL I am thinking I might need to try Kobo, its waterproof and will allow me to read my subscription of books when I side load them. I've been hearing good things about the devices. Decisions, decisions!!
iluvgadgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 01:29 AM   #390
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Why not simply use the DeDRM tools from http://apprenticealf.wordpress.com to liberate your purchases, so you can read them on the device you already own?

Of course, if you simply want an excuse to buy another toy, don't let me stop you.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, kobo, voyage