Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-29-2014, 11:56 AM   #706
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
I've finally gotten hold of my Voyage and am delighted with it The screen is perfect for me - very even lighting, very white color. It was sent from IN, so this distribution center must have had various batches.

jswinden previously I've been very critical of your anti-Kindle stance and just knew (and posted much earlier) that you would not like the Voyage, no matter what. I must say though that you have surprised me this time around by being a voice of reason, which has been a pleasant change
Is your voyage better than the paper white? When you put them side by side which has the better reading experience?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:10 PM   #707
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Is your voyage better than the paper white? When you put them side by side which has the better reading experience?
Well I'm just now playing around with it, but I have to say that the resolution of the Voyage is incredible. The fonts I normally use appear larger (much clearer) and the letters truly are black. It qualifies as the best ereader I've ever owned and I was very satisfied with my PW2.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:47 PM   #708
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Kindle Voyage - First Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Jo I'm glad you got a good one!

I've always been a huge fan of Amazon and their Kindles. I've owned most of their Kindles over the years, and I like their ecosystem. I liked them all until the PW1. Really the only ones I've had issues with have been the lighted ones, PW1 and Voyage. My PW2 was okay--I lucked out there. I guess people think I'm anti-Amazon or anti-Kindle, but I'm not. I'm just honest and voice my frustrations over lighting issues. I keep buying the lighted Kindles hoping to get a good one. I wouldn't do that if I was anti-Kindle. My second Voyage is pretty good, but I hope they nail it next year with the Voyage 2.

I can't agree more.

Previous Kindles (no back lit) were good. Yeah. We we're not able to use it at bed without added light, but it's contrast was good. I remember having a model (I think I still have it somewhere in my house) that had speakers and was able to read for me.

PW1 was innovative but I think it wasn't ready for Prime time. I had to change mine too due some screen issues.

PW2 was a greater improvements over PW1 but the screen still looks "washed out".

Voyage seems to have fixed most of those issues. I bought mine from BB and like it so far. My only complain, and it's not the screen, is that it's difficult to find a good grip because is so thin and the screen is flat. Still not sure if getting a case because I don't like cases very much. But that's a minor issue to me compared to the quality of screen on previous versions,
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:51 PM   #709
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I honestly think, Jack - and this is absolutely not meant as a criticism of anyone - that a major factor is simply that some people are more critical of these things than others. I've been perfectly happy with the screens of all my Kindles, and when people were posting pictures of their "terrible" PW1 screens, most of those looked just fine to me, too. Obviously things like pinpricks are a genuine manufacturing defect, but factors like the hue of the screen are very much a matter of personal preference. As I've said before, my PW2 has a distinctly yellow tint to its frontlight, something which I know others regard as a "defect", but I like the warmer tint to the screen.

That's also true. But PW1 screen issues were way above normal.I personally change mine because screen issues.

Some people are more "anal" than others in terms of contrast, light, hue, etc, I include myself, but the new model seem to be closer to what most people would call perfect.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:17 PM   #710
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just transferred via USB all the document files from my PW2 to my Voyage, but many now have generic covers. Do I have to transfer them all via Calibre for the proper covers to show? Only about 20 out of 200 books I transferred are stored in my current Calibre library
Old 10-29-2014, 02:19 PM   #711
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I can't agree more.

Previous Kindles (no back lit) were good. Yeah. We we're not able to use it at bed without added light, but it's contrast was good. I remember having a model (I think I still have it somewhere in my house) that had speakers and was able to read for me.

PW1 was innovative but I think it wasn't ready for Prime time. I had to change mine too due some screen issues.

PW2 was a greater improvements over PW1 but the screen still looks "washed out".

Voyage seems to have fixed most of those issues. I bought mine from BB and like it so far. My only complain, and it's not the screen, is that it's difficult to find a good grip because is so thin and the screen is flat. Still not sure if getting a case because I don't like cases very much. But that's a minor issue to me compared to the quality of screen on previous versions,
The synthetic Origami case is a bit pricy at $39 at BB, but it is quick to install and uninstall because the Voyage is held in by magnets. So it is wickedly fast to install or uninstall the Voyage from this case. It has a nice texture and adds some thickness without adding too much weight.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:20 PM   #712
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
I've finally gotten hold of my Voyage and am delighted with it The screen is perfect for me - very even lighting, very white color. It was sent from IN, so this distribution center must have had various batches.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:29 PM   #713
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
My only complaint, and it's not the screen, is that it's difficult to find a good grip because is so thin and the screen is flat.
This was actually, amazing screen aside, the deal breaker for me. I read without a case and don't want one, can't use one because of the added weight. I couldn't hold it without a case because it was too thin, too slippery from the front glass and magnesium back, and way too cold for me to hold due to the both.

I am thrilled for everyone who doesn't have my issues, likes to use a case, and got a great screen! I am sooooooo jealous, in fact, but extremely happy with my PW 2014 (one is more cat-pee yellow than the other and less bright so it is definitely going back).
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:32 PM   #714
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1
@joehunt: You could connect you PW2 to your computer and manualy copy "thumbnails" folder from PW2 to KV. The folder is located at "G:\system\" (where G is Kindle drive). System folder is hidden by default so you will not be able to see it on Windows PC/Windows Explorer, and you have choice to either 1) mouse click inside addressbar and type in "system\" after drive letter and press Enter on keyboard to open the hidden folder or 2) to turn on display of hidden files and folder in Windows Explorer settings.

After disconnecting your Kindle(s) from you PC (and maybe restarting your Kindle will be necessary) you should have your covers back.

Last edited by shamanNS; 10-29-2014 at 02:35 PM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:57 PM   #715
JoHunt
I am what I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
@joehunt: You could connect you PW2 to your computer and manualy copy "thumbnails" folder from PW2 to KV.
Thank you! It worked like a charm Now I just have to resize them and I'll all set.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:28 PM   #716
jackburton
jackburton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timejackburton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timejackburton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timejackburton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timejackburton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timejackburton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timejackburton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timejackburton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timejackburton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timejackburton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timejackburton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: kindle
Hi everyone. Long time lurker, joined to relay my voyage experience.

My voyage came yesterday.

The good:
I cant believe how small it is. The combination of the high resolution and the flat glass front are incredible. This really looks like paper. You almost have to see it to believe it. Granted, the last e-ink device I used was an original kindle, but I had to do a double take. I'm guessing that the wow experience is a lot less for someone who has been using a more recent paperwhite or kobo; regardless, wow!.

The Bad:
The top half of the screen is tinted yellow and the bottom half is a whitish blue. So yes, I have been hit with the same issue that everyone is reporting. I'm going to play the replacement game and see what happens. Hopefully the anecdotal evidence that the more recent shipments of the voyage have less screen tint issues is true and my replacement will be better.

Last edited by jackburton; 10-29-2014 at 04:35 PM.
jackburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 04:10 PM   #717
JoHunt
I am what I am

Hi jackburton and welcome! I'm sorry you got a "bad" unit, but it definitely is worthwhile trying to get a better one. Here's hoping you only need one replacement
Old 10-29-2014, 04:38 PM   #718
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The synthetic Origami case is a bit pricy at $39 at BB, but it is quick to install and uninstall because the Voyage is held in by magnets. So it is wickedly fast to install or uninstall the Voyage from this case. It has a nice texture and adds some thickness without adding too much weight.

Hmmm... I may check then. Hopefully they will let me try before buying.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:42 PM   #719
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Hmmm... I may check then. Hopefully they will let me try before buying.
they will, since they are 1. not even aware they have them, 2. not caring 3. not looking. And the covers are easy to take off of the package. I tried mine on before buying it at BB.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 04:52 PM   #720
Waitingforatrain
Groupie
Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Voyage
Saw this in the Amazon forum and am not sure that I've seen this mentioned here. Those with the noticeable yellow hue - does this change at all if you turn the auto brightness off? Have also seen comments that lead me to think that the auto light "feature" may be the culprit. Bad/slow to react sensors?
"Now the other news: I've noticed the slight yellowing in the top half of the screen. Yuck! However, if I turn the device upside down the yellowing seems to decrease down to just the top two lines of print. And if I leave it in bright sunshine for as little as 10 seconds, the yellowing disappears. What's up with that????"

Last edited by Waitingforatrain; 10-29-2014 at 05:02 PM.
Waitingforatrain is offline   Reply With Quote