Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-06-2014, 01:25 AM   #91
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-One View Post
But there is a layer for the capacitive touch screen which (like on the Cybook Odyssey) caused that slight shift toward yellow.
So would devices like the T68 and PW2 be noticably better looking without the capacitance layer if they used IR touch instead? That would be one less layer in front of the screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:33 AM   #92
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I've just been scrolling through my library on Kobo Aura HD.
A few examples:
Make Room! Make Room! = Kobo ePUB = 6.3MB
Steve Jobs = Kobo ePUB = 21.0MB
Shogun = Kobo ePUB = 10.1MB
Under the Dome = Kobo ePUB = 9.2MB
The Next 100 Years = Kobo ePUB = 8.6MB
Incognito = Kobo ePUB = 8.6MB
My Secret History = Kobo ePUB = 7.5MB
When sorting by size, 43 of 73 pages (with 6 books each) show titles >2.0MB.
Only the first 5 of 73 pages with books contain travel companions, comics and other files in the range of 100MB. Those enormous files I'm not downloading on readers anyway (color).
The other 68 pages are "normal" literature, business, entertainment and so on.
Obviously those 3MB to 10MB books kill my storage. No idea, why they are so huge. All original purchases from Kobo. And I guess it will be similar for B&N and Amazon...
Some of those are large due to a lot of images and/or high resolution images and then there are embedded fonts. You can use Calibre to handle the fonts by going to Polish books and selecting "Subset all embedded fonts". That would make some of them smaller and sometimes by a very noticeable size. One other thing that takes up space is DRM. If your eBooks have DRM, then they will be even larger. Also, if they do have DRM, you won't be able to subset any fonts. Oh and one other thing to use is Modify ePub as that will get rid of any unused images and other stuff that could be causing your ePub some unneeded bloat.

But, before you can subset and use Modify ePub, you have to have them DRM free.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-06-2014 at 01:38 AM.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:34 AM   #93
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
These file sizes seem a little over the top for straight epubs and for most other formats. For instance, Under the Dome as an epub is 973 kb. I wonder what is taking up the rest of the space?
Your copy of Under the Dome is very much incorrect. It uses a number of embedded fonts and the file size is about 6MB. Are you sure your copy of Under the Dome is legit? Where did you buy it?
Old 08-06-2014, 09:03 PM   #94
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Your copy of Under the Dome is very much incorrect. It uses a number of embedded fonts and the file size is about 6MB. Are you sure your copy of Under the Dome is legit? Where did you buy it?
My mobi copy from Amazon is 1.5 MB, and the calibre converted version is 973 KB. I guess I didn't get the embedded fonts, since it's a mobi instead of a Kf8, but I didn't really notice any difference between that and the paper version--I guess I just don't notice things like embedded fonts when I'm caught up in the story.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:03 PM   #95
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
My mobi copy from Amazon is 1.5 MB, and the calibre converted version is 973 KB. I guess I didn't get the embedded fonts, since it's a mobi instead of a Kf8, but I didn't really notice any difference between that and the paper version--I guess I just don't notice things like embedded fonts when I'm caught up in the story.

Shari
Thank you for that. darryl should have said that it's not a retail ePub so we could have ignored his post.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:06 PM   #96
mutantmagnet
mutantmagnet began at the beginning.

Device: Odyssey Sony Nook
How is the T68 for drawing and note taking? Is the touch screen responsive?

Are there any glitches that I would make me redraw an object?

Is it a challenge to copy what's written down to a clipboard and pasting it into another app?
mutantmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:25 PM   #97
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantmagnet View Post
Is it a challenge to copy what's written down to a clipboard and pasting it into another app?
That's a question that pertains to Android apps on e-ink rather than specifically to this device. You can copy and paste text between apps on Android. The problem comes with selecting text on e-ink. Android apps are designed to work on LCD screens which are more sensitive than e-ink screens. So it can be a challenge. The thing to do is find an app that adapts itself best to manipulating text on e-ink.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:29 PM   #98
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantmagnet View Post
How is the T68 for drawing and note taking? Is the touch screen responsive?

Are there any glitches that I would make me redraw an object?

The touchscreen sensitivity isn't great. It's not awful, but it's not great. Fine for the normal stuff you do when reading books, and the onscreen keyboard works just fine, but I don't think it would be good for a drawing app.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:10 AM   #99
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
Lol taking notes on the T68? You be lucky to hit the home button. The screen is absolutely ridiculous awful. I turned Android's show touch point function. When you touch the point indicator can be anywhere within a 2 cm radius. You can never type properly, because it always press the wrong key. The screen lags worse than a... Actually I can't think of anything that lag worse than T68.

It's absolutely a joke of a touch device. Absolute unuseable. Can't believe I paid $280 for this piece of.

Last edited by FinancialWar; 08-29-2014 at 07:07 AM.
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:35 AM   #100
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinancialWar View Post
It's absolutely a joke of a touch device. Absolute useable. Can't believe I paid $280 for this piece of.
Mine's nothing like as bad as you describe. I can use the soft keyboard with pretty much 100% accuracy. Did you apply the late July firmware update? That drastically improved the accuracy of the touchscreen for me. My T68 works absolutely fine for the purpose for which I bought it, which is as a bookreader.

Last edited by HarryT; 08-29-2014 at 06:49 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:07 AM   #101
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Mine's nothing like as bad as you describe. I can use the soft keyboard with pretty much 100% accuracy. Did you apply the late July firmware update? That drastically improved the accuracy of the touchscreen for me. My T68 works absolutely fine for the purpose for which I bought it, which is as a bookreader.
V1.6? Yes, I did that for the wifi issue, (oh did I mention wifi still disconnect? no internet for me), I did not notice any significant improvement in touch accuracy, still very bad.

If you turn on the "show touch" in developer mode, and your finger down on the screen, you can see the pointer jumps around the finger.

Ps. if you want a bookreader, you could have just gotten a cheaper and more stable reader. The whole point of getting T68 was to run Android apps on a e-ink, which it does not do a very good job at.

The apps T68 runs are not even full versions. Eg the moon+ reader pro on T68 is missing the some buttons down the bottom bar compared to the same app on my phone.

Last edited by FinancialWar; 08-29-2014 at 07:13 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:28 AM   #102
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
nter jumps around the finger.

Ps. if you want a bookreader, you could have just gotten a cheaper and more stable reader. The whole point of getting T68 was to run Android apps on a e-ink, which it does not do a very good job at.
The point for me is that it runs Calibre Companion, which is a brilliant book manager, and which runs absolutely fine on the T68.

Quote:
The apps T68 runs are not even full versions. Eg the moon+ reader pro on T68 is missing the some buttons down the bottom bar compared to the same app on my phone.
I'm a little puzzled by your last point. Apps come from Google Play. I've bought Moon+ Reader Pro and it looks the same for me on the T68 and on my Nexus 7. The button bars in Moon+ are configurable - perhaps you simply have different options chosen on the T68 and on your phone? Or perhaps you get different defaults depending on the resolution of the device? I'm absolutely certain that it's the same app on both platforms.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:22 AM   #103
FinancialWar
Banned

This is Moon+ Pro 2.6.1 on both the T68 and Note II, Note II have a lower resolution than T68, so should have fewer number of buttons, but as you can see, the buttons are missing on the T68.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:30 AM   #104
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
This is Moon+ Pro 2.6.1 on both the T68 and Note II, Note II have a lower resolution than T68, so should have fewer number of buttons, but as you can see, the buttons are missing on the T68.
As I said in my previous post, the icons that appear on the bottom toolbar are completely configurable.

- Tap the centre of the screen to display the bottom toolbar.
- Tap the "Gear Wheel" icon at the right side of the toolbar.
- Select "Miscellaneous".
- Scroll down the "Miscellaneous" screen to the bottom, and select the "Customize reader bar icons" link.

This allows you to select which icons appear on the toolbar.

It really is the same app on both devices .

Last edited by HarryT; 08-29-2014 at 08:36 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:36 AM   #105
FinancialWar
Banned

Thanks. My bad, must have forgotten that I change the setting on my phone before.

Wanna help me solve the wifi issue?