Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-30-2014, 11:06 AM   #1
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
(Suggestion) Move ebook-viewer.exe to the main directory next to calibre-portable.exe

Would be really helpful if I do not have to dig into an obscure directory just to open an ebook.

I don't know if ebook-viewer.exe was ever intended to use as stand-alone reader or just from the library (which I never use). But I like to use it that way.

I use PortableApps.com apps, and for its menu it would be really helpful to have such an important file in a more prominent place.

Btw., any plans to more cooperation between Calibe and the PortableApps.com folks? The auto-update feature is really neat.

Thanks for your work, Kovid.
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:23 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
If you want ebook-viewer-portable.exe as well, in the PortableApps.com version, perhaps you should ask the PortableApps.com calibre maintainer?

I'm sure Kovid could put it in his portable edition (if he feels it is worth it), but it still won't show up in PortableApps. The only thing the PortableApps version uses is the binaries folder shared between both portables and the main install -- the portable launcher infrastructure is unique.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:24 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
That being said, I can see why it might be nice to have each of the GUI components that have separate launchers in the main install, also having separate portable launchers as well.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:17 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid01 View Post
Would be really helpful if I do not have to dig into an obscure directory just to open an ebook.

I don't know if ebook-viewer.exe was ever intended to use as stand-alone reader or just from the library (which I never use). But I like to use it that way.
The calibre-viewer binary can be invoked directly, not just from within the main Calibre program. There is nothing stopping you setting up a file level association between the calibre viewer binary and a particular ebook file type. That makes it easy to launch the viewer by double-clicking (or equivalent) on the ebook file.

What you cannot do is simply move the binary to another location as it is dependent on many of the other components shipped as part of a Calibre install.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:21 PM   #5
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
The calibre-viewer binary can be invoked directly, not just from within the main Calibre program. There is nothing stopping you setting up a file level association between the calibre viewer binary and a particular ebook file type. That makes it easy to launch the viewer by double-clicking (or equivalent) on the ebook file.

What you cannot do is simply move the binary to another location as it is dependent on many of the other components shipped as part of a Calibre install.
Although this is true, the problem with doing it this way when you have Calibre Portable is that ebook-viewer.exe doesn't use your portable settings, such as for screen position, etc. I think what the OP is really asking for is a Portable wrapper for ebook-viewer.exe.
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:34 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@avid01

Put a shortcut/alais/symlink to it somewhere - like the desktop.
Add it to your task/dock/launch bar.
Script a keyboard shortcut for it.

But better the binaries stay where they are. Otherwise users who've applied any of the above commonly used techniques (and others I've missed) will have to redo what's already working for them - maybe for years. Then this and launchpad boards will get swamped with complaints.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:55 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
I add Pstart to my Portableapps menu to handle any item in any directory on my portable device.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	portableappsmenu.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	124862   Click image for larger version

Name:	pstart.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	124863  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 07-03-2014 at 04:06 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote