Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-28-2014, 05:22 PM   #466
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Song number is not watermarking

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Then they haven't "removed the DRM". Watermarking is a form of DRM.
That number can be altered in the Metadata using MediaMonkey. However, then it would become detectable as illegal. It is not an unalterable watermark. The number is different for each song so it appears to associate a legal song copy with a legal user.

One can alter other metadata with MediaMonkey as long as one keeps the song title and number intact.

Amazon is selling most songs for $ 0.99 to a maximum of $ 2.99.

By the way, using the Amazon Music app on my PC, smart phone or Kindles allows full access to the free Prime Music. However, playing the music within MediaMonkey excludes the free Prime Music.

All the purchased songs and free Prime Music is stored in one's Amazon Cloud Library at no cost.

I can see this model as the next step in eBook evolution.

Last edited by sirmaru; 06-28-2014 at 05:26 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:00 PM   #467
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
It's still a watermark, whether it can be changed or not. Each incidence has a different number. Just because I can remove DRM from my ebooks doesn't mean that the DRM applied to my ebooks isn't DRM.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:21 AM   #468
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
It's still a watermark, whether it can be changed or not. Each incidence has a different number. Just because I can remove DRM from my ebooks doesn't mean that the DRM applied to my ebooks isn't DRM.
Precisely.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:55 AM   #469
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I can see this model as the next step in eBook evolution.
Watermarking is already in use as a valid (and more customer-friendly) choice for DRM for ebooks. The Harry Potter books on Pottermore are probably the best internationally known example, but watermarking is also the chosen "national standard" for ebooks here. I don't think Adobe DRM is used at all - all locally released ebooks sold in bookshops are sold as watermarked epub (with conversion to another format for personal use being explicitly allowed).
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote