Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
ajshn
ajshn began at the beginning.

Device: none
Which one?

I'm considering buying an ereader, but i have no clue which one. I don't really like buying books, i've always gotten them from the library, and my library does have overdrive thankfully, but its a bit limited (and you sometimes only get four days for the book). I would like to be able to use pdf files on it, so it would be have to good for that, i have a few books in pdf and also mobi form i've gotten online. Something with long battery life and a lot of space (or an option for a micro sd), since i already have about 2gb of books. Any recommendations?
ajshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
No 6" reader is going to be good for pdfs, as they are normally produced for a larger page size than fits on the screen. PDF is not an ebook format. You want either ePub or mobi format. mobi is for Kindles, epub for everything else.

You don't have to keep all your books on the ereader at once. You can always move them on and off of the reader, as needed.

I would recommend a Kindle Paperwhite, as it works well, and is connected to the Amazon store, which is outstanding, and their customer service is second to none.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajshn View Post
I'm considering buying an ereader, but i have no clue which one. I don't really like buying books, i've always gotten them from the library, and my library does have overdrive thankfully, but its a bit limited (and you sometimes only get four days for the book). I would like to be able to use pdf files on it, so it would be have to good for that, i have a few books in pdf and also mobi form i've gotten online. Something with long battery life and a lot of space (or an option for a micro sd), since i already have about 2gb of books. Any recommendations?
You can buy whichever you like but you'll need additional apps if you want better pdf capabilities.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=12

Last edited by markom; 12-11-2013 at 05:32 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #4
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
You could always buy a non-Kindle ereader, use the PC version of Kindle to buy/download Kindle books, strip the DRM using Calibre, and install those books to the ereader of your choice. Provided it supports mobi files, that is. Then, with the non-Kindle ereader you'll have built-in support for epubs, which the Kindle does not support.

But for pdfs, I agree with Susan, a 6" ereader is just not going to do well for you there.
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
ajshn

Well i could always convert the pdfs to epub or mobi files. I was currently looking at the Nook simple touch, or the hd tablet version (haven't decided how much i wanted to spend yet), because nooks offer the option for micro sd storage. I just don't know how good they are for using books that are not from barnes and noble.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Both are great for using books not from BN! I briefly had a Nook ST and it was nice, especially after I rooted it with Nook Manager. As for the HD, I still have it, and have thousands of non BN books on my SD card. It is fabulous for reading.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #7
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
The Simple Touch might be fine, but just be aware not to be tempted by the Glowlight - 2GB of its 2.5GB memory is reserved for Nook content.

I'm assuming you're in the USA, but if you're not, Overdrive often doesn't do Kindle content outside of the USA. (May be useful for those reading along.)

If you really do need to read pdfs, your best bet is a tablet like an iPad, not an e-ink reader. If you're set on e-ink AND pdfs, going bigger than six inches would be a good idea, but the experience is still likely to be less than satisfactory.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #8
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
I have a Nook HD+ and an ebook library approaching 1,500 books, none of which are from Barnes & Noble. With the appropriate reading app, all of my books display perfectly on the HD+. I use Kindle for Android for my Amazon books and Moon+ for almost everything else except comics and graphic novels, which I generally buy from Comixology and use their app to read.

The 9" HD screen is great for reading magazines and PDF's and for books with charts, graphs, maps. photos and illustrations. I also have a large collection of cookbooks which display great on the HD+. It has an SD card slot and access to Google Play apps. In my opinion, it's the best large screen tablet on the market for its price. I also have a Kindle Paperwhite that I use for reading most ebooks that don't require the graphics and color display features of a tablet.
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #9
ajshn

For those of you that have the Nook HD 7 or the Nook HD+ how goods the battery? I know it says 10 hours, but it doesn't always mean its true. And is there a way to search for what apps work on it from the google play store? There are certain apps i like for notes and things i want to know if there compatible.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #10
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
I have a Nook HD, I find the battery okay, about as good as my ipad or iPhone. I don't know of any easy way to search for nook compatable apps but if you tell what's apps you want I'll take a look.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Well i could always convert the pdfs to epub or mobi files. I was currently looking at the Nook simple touch, or the hd tablet version (haven't decided how much i wanted to spend yet), because nooks offer the option for micro sd storage. I just don't know how good they are for using books that are not from barnes and noble.

Using a 6-inch e-ink device [Nook simple touch] for reading PDFs will, in my opinion, give you unsatisfactory results.

Too, converting PDFs into epubs will not give one a pleasant reading experience.

If you're set on e-ink, then you should look into a larger screen size. I have a Kindle DX-G e-ink screen and it is perfect for novel reading.

You should also check into the type of reading you'll be doing. Perhaps a tablet, in your case, might be the way to go.

Or perhaps wait to see what newer e-ink devices will soon be coming to market, those with larger screens.

Be aware that if you start to look at the Kindle DX-G, that it is an older piece of hardware (still sold, however), and that it has limited PDF function. BUT, as mentioned, I read mainly novels. I also read literary criticism in PDF form, and this is more than acceptable - for me.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #12
ajshn

Well i'd hope for the nook hd (or hd+) that you'd be able to get apps for reading all different ebook file types from google play. Are you able to get Adobe reader on it? I use that on my phone sometimes for pdf files. I'm also wondering if this app called Writer (James McMinn) and another app called AppLock (DoMobile labs) are compatible on it. Are you able to set up a lock screen on it, so you have to enter a password to use the device?
Old 12-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Well i'd hope for the nook hd (or hd+) that you'd be able to get apps for reading all different ebook file types from google play. Are you able to get Adobe reader on it? I use that on my phone sometimes for pdf files. I'm also wondering if this app called Writer (James McMinn) and another app called AppLock (DoMobile labs) are compatible on it. Are you able to set up a lock screen on it, so you have to enter a password to use the device?

The Nook Simple Touch (e-ink) is NOT the one to get, in my opinion for PDFs.

A tablet seems like the one of choice for you.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:11 AM   #14
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
The Nook Simple Touch (e-ink) is NOT the one to get, in my opinion for PDFs.

A tablet seems like the one of choice for you.

Don
It really depends on pdf page size.

Majority of pdf books there are about A5 size, so easily readable on any 6" e-ink reader in landscape mode with margins cropped.

The same goes for 2-column A4 pdfs.

But for much better pdf capabilities, we should root any android reader there, like Nook ST, or install kindlepdfviewer(KOReader) on Kindles or Kobo, because native pdf readers are just not good enough, as yet.

Those who want to read A4 sized pdf books on 6" e-ink reader because it is easier to carry them around than 10" devices, can relatively quickly and easily reflow A4 pdf scan or even A3 double paged scans for their particular reader using just k2pdfdopt app, or use Pdfscissors app or Briss beforehand to quickly graphicaly split a A3 double paged pdf into a A4 single paged, if they don't know how to do it in k2pdfopt using -grid or -cbox commands.

http://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/

We can also adjust pdf beforehand with k2pdfopt when our e-ink reader or tablet can read complex or highly compressed pdf but it is not quick enough with its rendering, for our liking.

On my 6" Sony Prs it is not only quicker to flip through such beforehand adjusted pdf pages for landscape mode but also a lot quicker and easier to annotate such adjusted pdf using handwriting because there is no need to leave zoom for normal view and then getting back, as when using reader's own zooming capability.

Last edited by markom; 12-15-2013 at 11:05 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:40 AM   #15
alexadam1212
Banned
alexadam1212 began at the beginning.

nice post~
alexadam1212 is offline   Reply With Quote