Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-14-2011, 08:12 PM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Tell your kids to pony up for the top of the line model (3G+Wifi) and then you'll have all your bases covered. How often does dad turn 70?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:20 PM   #17
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Tell your kids to pony up for the top of the line model (3G+Wifi) and then you'll have all your bases covered. How often does dad turn 70?
I tend to agree. By getting the 3G model, you've got full coverage without having to add anything, but if you do add a wireless router, you'll be able to use it. And while you may not think you'll be out and about with it, I find I go nowhere without mine. (Of course, I always used to have a paperback with me, so you can tell I'm a pretty committed reader.)

The current ad-supported 3g model is very aggressively priced, with the price dropping to $139 instead of $189 for the model without ads. And the ads actually aren't at all intrusive.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:51 AM   #18
9641roger
9641roger began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you all for your valuable advice;I think I will now ask them to get me the 3G version;I am not sure how to acknowledge your answers individually
9641roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:52 AM   #19
9641roger

Of course-living in the UK-the difference in the price of the 2 models is slightly more than in the US
Old 07-15-2011, 04:26 AM   #20
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Welcome roger! My Kindle 3G cost me 182 euro (254 $, taxes and all) to be shipped to Belgium. And only then I discovered 3G is blocked here except Amazon shop. Luckily I often travel to a country where it is available, so at least that for internet access... bummer though
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:03 AM   #21
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Roger, I think that because you don't have a location in your profile, people gave you replies that were more applicable in the USA than in the UK.

FWIW I am 71 and use my Kindle in the UK. If you have a wi-fi router, you won't need 3G. Without wi-fi you can still download to your computer and then transfer books by USB cable to the Kindle. You will first need to download Kindle for PC or Kindle for Mac onto your computer. The advantage of that is that you will be able to read books on your computer as well as on the Kindle itself. Amazon will even synchronise your computer version with your Kindle version (provided you switch on the wireless on the Kindle).

AFAIK the cheaper ad-supported version isn't available in the UK. Library access for the Kindle is going to happen in the USA before it does in the UK, so don't count on it yet.

Do make sure you get a cover for the Kindle. They are a little bit fragile and a good cover provides a reasonable protection against knocks and bumps. And don't drop it in the bath!
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:06 AM   #22
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9641roger View Post
As I approach my 70th birthday-my children are clubbing together to buy me a kindle 3 e reader.I have a good broadband connection with Virgin Media.I just want to use my kindle at home-so I am not interested in the 3g model.Can I use,download books and recharge the battery at home using the cheaper 3 version?
Well, Sonny, I'm 70-years old, I use the WiFi-only model with no problems. I'd bet your broadband modem is wireless but if it isn't your ISP will probably provide one free.

I thoroughly enjoy my Kindle.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:04 PM   #23
9641roger

Once again-thanks for your invaluable help; I have asked the kids to get me the 3G version
Old 07-16-2011, 03:56 AM   #24
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Furthermore, for all birthdays to come you can ask for Amazon vouchers and buy ebooks with them.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote