Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-19-2011, 06:44 AM   #16
elruffianos
elruffianos began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for all the responses, looks like a Sony reader is the way to go! I'll hopefully go to Waterstones sometime this week and see if I can try them out in store.
elruffianos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:33 PM   #17
elruffianos

I went into Waterstones on Sunday and immediately seen the PRS650 on display and started trying it out. I also noticed it was only £170 and that sealed the deal for me, I'd definitely get it. So I go to the counter to get told that they don't actually have any readers in stock. That's fine, I thought, I can wait until they get some, but it turns out they have had a supply issue with Sony and they won't be getting any Sony readers ever again. I would use the voucher online, but the voucher is only valid in that particular store and I can't use it to buy an online voucher for reasons which are beyond me.

So in short, what reader would you reccomend on that list that isn't Sony?
Old 06-21-2011, 12:53 PM   #18
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Oh no!!! Poor you!

I once contemplated getting an Iriver Cover Story. It takes tremendously many formats, 6" screen, you can read Manga with it and it is easy to read with whichever hand you like to use. I also like the form factor. You can scribble notes on it, too. And the price is awesome. No need for a cover, it comes with its own plastic shell cover, so you will have left money to spend on ebooks.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:42 PM   #19
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by elruffianos View Post
I would use the voucher online, but the voucher is only valid in that particular store and I can't use it to buy an online voucher for reasons which are beyond me.
so, yours is not a Waterstone's gift card? Because in that case you should be able to use it online. Do you have any form of terms and conditions with the card/vouchers?
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:53 AM   #20
elruffianos

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
so, yours is not a Waterstone's gift card? Because in that case you should be able to use it online. Do you have any form of terms and conditions with the card/vouchers?
Unfortunately not. It's just a piece of card with my name and the value of the card on it. It does specify I must buy from this particular store and it must be books I buy, although that is not strictly true as I bought a bookmark with £2 I had spare from my prize last year. I might try going back in and arguing my case and "buy" an online voucher with my prize voucher.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:26 PM   #21
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by elruffianos View Post
Unfortunately not. It's just a piece of card with my name and the value of the card on it. It does specify I must buy from this particular store and it must be books I buy, although that is not strictly true as I bought a bookmark with £2 I had spare from my prize last year. I might try going back in and arguing my case and "buy" an online voucher with my prize voucher.
yes, if I were you I would try that - and you can also try and contact the "main" Waterstones' customer service - this si probably a card issued by the store directly, but they (the big guys) may be prepared to switch it if you tell tehm your story - in fact, they really should!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:57 AM   #22
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
The Cybook Opus may be a bit old, but it's a trusty and nicely readable little thing. The iRiver has the charm of being bigger and having a cover
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote