Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-09-2011, 07:57 AM   #16
harryzee
harryzee doesn't litterharryzee doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX with 3.2.1/Nook HD+ with internal 4.2.2
CM7RC4 Success

To All,

Well, I took the leap and flawlessly changed over to CM7RC4 and it all (apparently) works! I had previously used autonooter 3.0 on my NC1.1.

Still trying to figure it all out and having fun doing so.

My first three apps that I d/l and installed were a simple notepad, Kindle for Android, and Nook for Android.

D/L my current "libraries" for both and am back in the "reading" business complete with an unexpected "turning page" animation!

The only thing I am going to miss is the BN in-store reading option which I will learn to temporarily live without. Visiting my local BN today and will see what happens when I try and establish an in-store connection.

My next step is to wait for the autonooter update for the NC 2.2 upgrade and reroot to that and then do a 2.3 boot from the sd card to regain the best of all worlds.

Bring on a decent RC version of Honeycomb!!!

For those of you interested in CM7RC4, the "Huskermania" video is now up:

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88qRbLLEAPQ"]

I also referred to:

http://briefmobile.com/how-to-cyanogenmod-7-goodness-for-the-nook-color

This is a somewhat more simple process than the video, but doesn't explain how to "install the two zips" while the video clearly does. They work well together.

Not seeing any wifi issues using the unit at home with e-mail and browser functions reasonably fast.

Follow-up: Just transferred a copy to my sd card of "Tunes of Glory" that I had converted to mp4 format and it played perfectly with no visual stuttering or audio lag.

If the film runs fine and the browser speed appears to be more than adequate, is the any reason to use the 2.3 overclock option to bump up to 925mhz?

However, I did notice that when I connected the unit via the NC cable to my desktop, the NC indicated that there was a "USB connection" but the NC does not appear in Windows Explorer which it always did previously. Had to remove the sd card and copy the film directly onto it via the one of the USB ports on my desktop.

Last edited by harryzee; 04-09-2011 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Correction and addition.
harryzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:32 PM   #17
harryzee

USB is now functioning after figuring out how to get the sroll to stay open and "whacking away" at the "USB connected" line!
Old 04-10-2011, 12:47 AM   #18
Apoc
Connoisseur
Apoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookC with CM7 (eMMC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryzee View Post
USB is now functioning after figuring out how to get the sroll to stay open and "whacking away" at the "USB connected" line!
Could you elaborate please? Mine remains indifferent to the connection. The computer doesn't recognise it either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:03 AM   #19
harryzee

USB Connection

When you have the NC plugged into your computer, there will be a USB icon at the top left of your screen.

You need to open this up by placing your finger on it and unscrolling it all the way to the bottom of the screen where it will now stay open.

Then you need to tap on the line indicating the USB connection until it opens at which point it will give you a box to choose if you want to establish the connection.

Getting it to unscroll and stay open was very tricky for me and it tooks several taps to get that line to open so I could then establish the connection.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:33 AM   #20
Apoc
Connoisseur
Apoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-books

Ah! Much thanks. I was being impatient by wanting to copy the current book that I'm reading to memory, immediately after nooking. All's well now.

The Kindle reader was easy enough to find but the Nook for Android app doesn't show in Market for me however. Any ideas?
Old 04-10-2011, 12:55 PM   #21
harryzee

Using the "Search" feature in the "Market", type in "barnes and noble nook" and you will get (among other items) "Nook for Android by B&N".

Don't forget to go to the Adobe website and search for "Flash 10.2 for Android 2.2 and 2.3.
D/Ls and installs easily and works like a charm.

Tried my now fully operational Andorid 2.3 (NC) tablet at my local BN yesterday and the only thing lost is the "Read in Store" feature. No problem connecting to the store's AT&T wifi connection and the BN website.

Still may "go back" depending on how well a new "autonooter" works on the BN 2.2 upgrade.

I also transferred one of my MP4 film conversions and that runs fine as does the audiobook function.

Other than the "Read in Store" feature, I am seeing no downside to this RC4 setup.

Last edited by harryzee; 04-10-2011 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-10-2011, 01:41 PM   #22
Apoc
Connoisseur

Weird. I tried "barnes and noble nook" as well, and the only selection that I get is "MyBookDroid - books library"
Old 04-10-2011, 01:57 PM   #23
harryzee

The actual name of the app is: "Nook for Android by B&N".

The "MyBook..." you mention was the second app that was brought up by my initial search.

It is definitely "there" in the "Market".
Old 04-10-2011, 03:15 PM   #24
Apoc
Connoisseur

Quote:
The actual name of the app is: "Nook for Android by B&N".

The "MyBook..." you mention was the second app that was brought up by my initial search.

It is definitely "there" in the "Market".
Still not there for me. It could be because I'm in Canada. Thanks for the help just the same.

Edit: I've been too hung up on Market, I suppose. After that failed, I managed to find it after a brief google search.

Last edited by Apoc; 04-10-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:23 PM   #25
harryzee

You are "good to go" and that is the important thing.

Wonder what/why the restriction for Android Nook in the "Great White North"?
Old 04-10-2011, 07:39 PM   #26
Apoc
Connoisseur

Quote:
Wonder what/why the restriction for Android Nook in the "Great White North"?
Well, the Nook isn't available in Canada and neither is the B&N store unless one creates an account with a US credit card. Which I have done. I don't see Market discriminating based on IP alone, it makes no sense doing that. But all is well now.

Thanks again for the help.