Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 12-24-2004, 04:31 PM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Teleread excited about Cybook

Teleread has an in-depth review of the Cybook, a dedicated e-book reader with a 10" color LCD screen. This is the second in-depth review I've read, and it tries to make the Cybook look much better than the first.

The review dissected for you in a few words:

Pros:
- the price ($499) is a bargain
- handles a variety of formats (Mobipocket, Html, Txt, Word, non-DRM PDB, promise to support OeBF)
- large 10" 800x600 256-color screen (especially good for visually impaired)
- screen's sharpness leaves most competitors (except Librie) in the dust
- extra-thick letters on virtual keyboard
- comfortable form factor
- no lack of speed despite antique technology (old OS and CPU)

Cons:
- slight screen flicker which could be fixed through settings
- less durable due to the size of the screen
- "minor" risk of getting dusk under the screen
- difficult to access battery status

What is interesting is that Teleread is so "ohhh that is so great" about this reader. I must admit I have never seen the Cybook myself, but after reading aRMiTaG3's hands-on review two months ago, I have serious doubts that this dedicated reader would make my life any better. Common guys, you think it is a minor problem to get dust under the screen? Even if you try a rudimentary fix, purchasing a second stylus and keeping it inside the reader (where should I then put my first stylus when I don't use the reader?), it is a serious quality problem if dust can enter underneath your device screen. I had one of the first Sony Clie PDAs, and its screen was so full with dust particles that it literally drove me nuts. I am not intending to go up the walls again.

I also don't think that the price of $499 is a "bargain", considering that all you can do with this reader is, well reading e-books. I don't see the justification for this price tag. The technology is outdated, there is no PCMCIA/CF adapter included, and the integrated memory is definitely not enough for any serious e-book fan.

Although I cannot share your excitement, I still thank you for the honest review!

Update, 8:35 a.m. (EST), Christmas Day: Thanks to David from Teleread for the quick follow-up. He will talk to Bookeen again regarding the dust problem that I personally find rather discouraging. Again I admit I haven't had a chance to play with this gadget, so I may be completely wrong with my resentment. I'd be curious to hear what you think after reading the two reviews!
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 12:00 AM   #2
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Two things would make an e-book reader for me: A librie-like screen, and a battery life that will last at least 40 hours. After seeing the Librie screen, I can't see myself ever getting an e-book reader with a backlit LCD screen. No matter how good they are, they just can't compare to the paper-like quality of e-ink technology.
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 11:20 AM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
While I agree that this is not the eBook reader for me (I currently use a UX-50 as my primary eBook device), I also feel that some of Morpheus' conclusions miss the mark.

1. "outdated" OS: Since this is a dedicated Reader and not a general use device, the OS is of almost no concern to the user. For this type of device, WinCE3.0 is, in fact, a _VASTLY_ superior OS to any newer Windows OS for small devices with the possible exception of CE.net. All the bells and whistles of the newer PPC OS's, and PalmOS6 for that matter, get in the way of creating reliable software, both OS and application.

2. "outdated technonogy": Maybe, but again if performance is fine and no new software will ever be added then the device is in a "time frozen environment" and age is not a concern. True, the base memory is somewhat limited but should hold around 50-80 non-illustrated novel length books in the Mobipocket PRC format, more than most avid readers consume in a year. Given the PCCard expansion slot you have access to massive CF cards with only a $8-10 adapter.

3. Price vs. Value: Well, if you have good eyes, like most of us, then this balance favors conventional Palm and PPC devices, as Morpheus concludes. The machine could only be considered close to a good value if one needs large type. Then the machine becomes a much better value since no current PPC or PalmOS device quailifies for comparison with the possible exception of the AlphaSmart, and it would loose out to the larger display IMHO. Comparison can only be made to other larger sized dedicated eBook Readers and the new smaller, general use TabletPC's. Still at $500 bucks, I don't think "bargin" would be a correct term even for the user who finds it the device of choice.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 12:13 PM   #4
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
I must admit I was perhaps a bit too fast with drawing my conclusions (which may have be presumptious since I never had a chance to hold the Cybook in my own hands).

Michael Dahan from Bookeen actually contacted me and explained to me that the dust problem aRMiTaG3 noticed should be considered an isolated event since Bookeen itself has never noticed any kind of dust under the screen of a Cybook. Also the price sounds more reasonable (for those who can spend $500 on a reading device) to me now considering that the Cybook reader (which has a big screen, I admit!) is also shipped with a PCMCIA adapter and a 64MB CF card.
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 11:01 AM   #5
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Just read the review. I can't believe the reviewer didn't make a bigger of the 3-5 hour battery life. For me, any reading device that cannot last a long flight is totally unacceptable.
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote