Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Which one would you buy in EU?
Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition 2 9.09%
Kindle Paperwhite 3 13.64%
Kobo Clara BW 10 45.45%
Other 7 31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-16-2024, 06:28 AM   #1
Frostbite
Enthusiast
Frostbite can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Frostbite can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Frostbite can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Frostbite can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Frostbite can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Frostbite can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Frostbite can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Frostbite can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Frostbite can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Frostbite can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Frostbite can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 4
Kobo Clara BW or Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition

Hello!

My first post here

I have a PocketBook InkPad 4 ebook reader. This is my first e-reader and I like it.

We need one more e-reader and I always wanted to try Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition. But...

Kobo has announced Clara BW (I don't need the colour variant) and now I am in a dilemma.

Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition is currently on sale for 150 € (I live in Europe). And Kobo Clara BW is not out yet.

I am just looking for opinions and discussion. What would you do? Will Kobo Clara BW be so much better than Kindle? Or vice-versa?

I use Calibre for my books. I don't want to be locked to Amazon, but I know you can use Kindle via Calibre (and some plugins) like any other reader. Or am I wrong?

Thank you for any comments.
Frostbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 07:13 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You'd be better off with the Kobo Libra 2 with a 7" screen. The 6" screen is (IMHO) too small.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2024, 07:22 AM   #3
3QVKwyNT9hR849t7
Connoisseur
3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about

Device: PW4 32GB (G000 T607) 5.12.3
Paperwhite 5(11th gen) has 6.8" over the older gens' 6"

EDIT: Ah I assumed the Clara BW will be 7", it's 6", didn't realize you were comparing Libra 2 and Clara BW
3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 07:48 AM   #4
Frostbite
Enthusiast
Frostbite can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Frostbite can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Frostbite can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Frostbite can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Frostbite can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Frostbite can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Frostbite can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Frostbite can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Frostbite can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Frostbite can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Frostbite can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

I don't see the Kobo Libra 2 appealing to me. Also, I think I don't need the buttons. I have them on InkPad 4 and rarely use them.
Old 04-16-2024, 08:07 AM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Frostbite, if you aren't using the Amazon ecosystem, IMO, a Kobo would be better: Kobo has more font control. Also, if you are using collections and series in calibre, Kobo and calibre work well together.

Edit: also, for me, bigger isn't better for an ereader. I just want it for reading fiction novels.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2024, 08:23 AM   #6
Frostbite
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Frostbite, if you aren't using the Amazon ecosystem, IMO, a Kobo would be better: Kobo has more font control. Also, if you are using collections and series in calibre, Kobo and calibre work well together.

Edit: also, for me, bigger isn't better for an ereader. I just want it for reading fiction novels.
Hmm, yes, I am not into Amazon at all. But I can read many good reviews about the Kindle Signature too.
Old 04-16-2024, 11:20 AM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Personally I would buy neither. I want the buttons, a 6" screen is too small for me and I don't like the Kindle software (I have owned many Kindles, but I find the Kobo software more to my taste). YMMV.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 03:57 PM   #8
Frostbite
Enthusiast

Thank you for your comments.

I've never had a Kindle or 6" e-reader, so it is hard for me to tell. I guess it is more of a personal preference. So many different opinions.
Old 04-16-2024, 04:06 PM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbite View Post
Thank you for your comments.

I've never had a Kindle or 6" e-reader, so it is hard for me to tell. I guess it is more of a personal preference. So many different opinions.
Yes, it's always a personal preference. The best way would be to see both devices with your own eyes; if that's not possible, to research both of them as thoroughly as you can before making a decision.

Kobo devices are more open, more customizable and have more options to adjust everything to your liking; they also work far better with Calibre than Kindles. But they tend to be a bit more buggier (that's not always so, of course, but often enough).

Kindles are usually more stable and have fewer bugs. They're a good option if you're already part of the Amazon ecosystem or if your needs are very simple. But they are pretty closed and have few options to customize your device, unless you jailbreak. They don't work as well with Calibre as Kobos and are a bit more unfriendly towards sideloading (it's still possible to sideload to a Kindle, but if you prefer to do this via USB, not by sending your books to Amazon servers, then it can be somewhat buggy - see the thread about Amazon deleting sideloaded books in the Kindle subforum).
Old 04-16-2024, 04:14 PM   #10
Frostbite
Enthusiast

To be honest, I don't know anybody with Kindle or Kobo. Also, I can't try it anywhere.

I own a PocketBook and I like it, but I'm not sure how other software works.

If the Kobo is a bit buggy, this might be a showstopper for me. I don't like buggy software.

My current PocketBook is 7" and I like the size, so maybe 6" would be too small.

I can read Kindle also works fine with Calibre. I always use a USB cable to upload my ePUB books to PocketBook so this is not an issue for me.

Not sure, I have to sleep on it.
Old 04-16-2024, 04:24 PM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

If you prefer to sideload via USB, you should be aware that Amazon has gotten into the habit of deleting USB-sideloaded books off your Kindle if you connect to wifi after a period of being offline. The solution is to keep your Kindle permanently offline, without ever connecting to wifi, or not registering it at all (you can't use collections on an unregistered Kindle).

Kobos working better with Calibre means that you can manage metadata (including series info) and collections automatically via Calibre, without any need to do it manually on your device. Kindles don't use series info with sideloaded books at all, so if you want to group your sideloaded books by series, you cannot do that on a Kindle.
Old 04-16-2024, 04:27 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't see the Kobo Libra 2 appealing to me. Also, I think I don't need the buttons. I have them on InkPad 4 and rarely use them.
I have the Libra 2 and I don't use the buttons at all. They are very easy to ignore because of where they are.
Old 04-16-2024, 04:29 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Hmm, yes, I am not into Amazon at all. But I can read many good reviews about the Kindle Signature too.
Why would you conciser a Kindle with a 6.8" screen yet you won't consider a Kobo with a 7" screen?
Old 04-16-2024, 04:31 PM   #14
Frostbite
Enthusiast

Oh, I didn't know that. Amazon is really trying to get us into their ecosystem.

That means I will not be able to update the Kindle? But, as I understand all these ebooks and ereaders thing (and Calibre), it doesn't matter what I have on my ereader. I mean, I upload a book via USB and read it. When finished, I leave it on ereader, but don't bother with it any more.

Calibre is my main book management software. I also have all my ebooks on my NAS device in ePUB (or other) format as a backup.

Why should I be worried about books being deleted from ereader? I would never have books only on this device.
Old 04-16-2024, 04:33 PM   #15
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Oh, I didn't know that. Amazon is really trying to get us into their ecosystem.

That means I will not be able to update the Kindle? But, as I understand all these ebooks and ereaders thing (and Calibre), it doesn't matter what I have on my ereader. I mean, I upload a book via USB and read it. When finished, I leave it on ereader, but don't bother with it any more.

Calibre is my main book management software. I also have all my ebooks on my NAS device in ePUB (or other) format as a backup.

Why should I be worried about books being deleted from ereader? I would never have books only on this device.
You can update your Kindle manually, but some features will only be activated when you connect to wifi.

You should not worry, but if you're the type to keep hundreds or thousands of ebooks on your device (many members here do it), then having them all deleted and needing to reload can be very annoying.

Tags
kindle paperwhite, kobo clara bw