Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-10-2024, 02:48 PM   #1
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Question Cheaper alternative to Kobo Stylus 2 ?

Now that we can pre-order the Libra Colour, I wanted to know if there are cheaper alternatives to the official Kobo Stylus 2 ?

Not all stylus have the same technology, and not all ereaders, I guess, can support all sorts of stylus.

So, if you have that knowledge, please enlighten us.

Thanks.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 03:04 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
Now that we can pre-order the Libra Colour, I wanted to know if there are cheaper alternatives to the official Kobo Stylus 2 ?

Not all stylus have the same technology, and not all ereaders, I guess, can support all sorts of stylus.

So, if you have that knowledge, please enlighten us.

Thanks.
Has google-fu gone the way of the dinosaurs?

Perhaps a search for messages with 'Ntrig Kobo stylus' might help.

See this recent message for example.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2024, 03:14 PM   #3
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Has google-fu gone the way of the dinosaurs?

Perhaps a search for messages with 'Ntrig Kobo stylus' might help.

See this recent message for example.
Yes, I read that single post, in a large thread.

I thought that other members might also have suggestions, and that a dedicated thread for it would be more useful and easier to find.
Old 04-10-2024, 03:27 PM   #4
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Most devices use a WACOM layer as part of the screen, combined with a passive stylus. Kobo uses an active stylus, so you're limited to that particular subset of stylus models. Whether you can use any active stylus, I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if only certain ones are functional.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 03:41 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, I read that single post, in a large thread.
A thread that has at this time, two messages is a large thread?

Quote:
I thought that other members might also have suggestions, and that a dedicated thread for it would be more useful and easier to find.
It might be useful but basically any stylus that uses the N-trig/MPP (Microsoft Pen Protocol) protocol will work.
Advert
Old 04-10-2024, 04:59 PM   #6
deleted2
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Most devices use a WACOM layer as part of the screen, combined with a passive stylus. Kobo uses an active stylus, so you're limited to that particular subset of stylus models. Whether you can use any active stylus, I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if only certain ones are functional.

I guess we’ll to wait for further reviews.
Old 04-10-2024, 05:24 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist

In my testing on a Kobo Sage, any stylus using the N-Trig/MPP protocol will work. This testing was done about 18 months back when my work was testing various styli as replacements. This does limit you to a stylus that will require a battery or supercapacitor to power it. The screen electronics are less complex which a bonus for those who do not want a stylus. All the MPP 2.00 styli worked in my limited testing though we did not test any of the later MPP 2.5/2.6 styli. The two MPP 1.51. styli we tested did not have pressure sensitivity which might be a deal breaker for some people.

You may want to take a look at Microsoft Pen Protocol (MPP) Stylus Compendium for a list of manufacturers updated Nov., 2023.

Last edited by DNSB; 04-10-2024 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-10-2024, 05:53 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
In my testing on a Kobo Sage, any stylus using the N-Trig/MPP protocol will work.
I've bought several 3rd party N-Trig/MPP advertised for the MS Surface 3 or later. Check it's a version with pressure and without the Bluetooth button (for OneNote?). There are ones that use AAAA (last nearly 6 months and about 25c) and ones that are rechargeable via USB-C or Micro-USB.
Cheapest was about €18 inc shipping from Amazon and dearest about €30. The Kobo original was €52 ex shipping at the time.

The 2 different models I got work identically to Kobo Pen on Sage, Elipsa and the Libra 2 Sketchpad (which only appears on Sage & Elipsa in devmodeon) which saves SVG. On the Libra 2 (not original Libra), Sage and Elipsa Sketch pad, one button is fat line and the other is erase. Drawing resolution is better on the Libra 2 than a finger. So the Libra 2 simply lacks extra SW, not the HW.

They work identically to the kobo Pen on all the regular Sage and Elipsa pen functions.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 05:58 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
This testing was done about 18 months back when my work was testing various styli as replacements. This does limit you to a stylus that will require a battery or supercapacitor to power it.
There are definitely rechargeable 3rd party models with pressure and no BT button. Search on Amazon (DE, COM CO.UK) for surface 3 pen etc (or later). I think the Surface 1 & 2 used Wacom EMR. MS liked the Ntrig so much that they bought the company.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 05:58 PM   #10
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does that mean you could edit the Libra 2 firmware to enable the notebook functionality?
Old 04-10-2024, 06:01 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
There are definitely rechargeable 3rd party models with pressure and no BT button. Search on Amazon (DE, COM CO.UK) for surface 3 pen etc (or later). I think the Surface 1 & 2 used Wacom EMR. MS liked the Ntrig so much that they bought the company.
Several of the units we tested used either USB_C or micro-USB charging to recharge the battery or capacitor. Personally, I preferred them to the AAA/AAAA battery using models since I can usethe same charger/cables as I use for my other devices instead of hunting for the replacement batteries.
Old 04-10-2024, 06:02 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Does that mean you could edit the Libra 2 firmware to enable the notebook functionality?
If you had the source, it would be fairly easy though the Libra 2 might be on the slow side. There are reasons as to why the Sage and Elipsa use a quad-core or dual-core processor.
Old 04-10-2024, 07:13 PM   #13
deleted2
Member Retired

Quote:
In my testing on a Kobo Sage, any stylus using the N-Trig/MPP protocol will work. This testing was done about 18 months back when my work was testing various styli as replacements. This does limit you to a stylus that will require a battery or supercapacitor to power it. The screen electronics are less complex which a bonus for those who do not want a stylus. All the MPP 2.00 styli worked in my limited testing though we did not test any of the later MPP 2.5/2.6 styli. The two MPP 1.51. styli we tested did not have pressure sensitivity which might be a deal breaker for some people.

You may want to take a look at Microsoft Pen Protocol (MPP) Stylus Compendium for a list of manufacturers updated Nov., 2023.
Kobo says that their Stylus 1 one works with Sage etc, but not with the Libra Colour. So,
Old 04-11-2024, 12:49 AM   #14
deleted2
Member Retired

So, in theory, this stylus should work with Kobo.

What's the difference between the Kobo Stylus 1 and the Stylus 2?

Why Kobo is not listing the Stylus 1 as compatible with the Libra Colour? Marketing? Mistake?

Last edited by deleted2; 04-11-2024 at 01:07 AM. Reason: added questions
Old 04-11-2024, 12:56 AM   #15
Aleron Ives
Wizard

The first uses an AAAA battery, and the second is rechargeable.