Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-22-2021, 04:31 PM   #1
rb431
Enthusiast
rb431 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 9th gen
Catalog download to Kobo Reader on connect does not overwrite the book on the device

I never noticed this on my Kindle, but it appears that when the catalog is downloaded to the Kobo it doesn't overwrite what's on the device already. I see the job run when the device connects to download it and the job is successful. But when I open the catalog on the device again I'm right in the same place and the data isn't updated. If I manually remove the catalog before connecting, then I get the updated version to the device. I can't see any option anywhere that determines if/when books get overwritten on the device during download.

Am I missing a simple setting?
rb431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:40 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Sending a replacement book without losing the reading status works fine here. I can send an epub or kepub that I have started reading knowing that, in most cases, when I reopen it, it will open at the same place I was last reading. The "most cases" is because if the structure of the book changes (ToC, internal files), this might not work.

There is an option needed for this in the driver configuration. If you uncheck "Do not treat replacements as new books", then the device will import updated book as new books. This means the book is actually removed from the internal database, including any collections and reading status, and the books are imported just like any new book. Unchecking that option should fix the problem.

But, as I said, even with that option turned on, the book should be updated. If the ToC has changed, it won't be updated, but the updated content should be there. If that isn't happening, you should check that the updated catalog has actually been sent to the device. Before ejecting the device, look at the file on the device and make sure it has actually been updated. If that isn't happening, run calibre in debug mode and post the log so I can see what is happening.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2021, 04:19 PM   #3
rb431
Enthusiast
rb431 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 9th gen
So I went to test what you pointed out and everything is working fine. The catalog file on the device is being overwritten when I connect and I can see the file information update on the device file directory. When I open the catalog it tries to seek to the last % position, which has changed but I can go to the contents and all the data is there.

I guess I shouldn't be trusted with complex equipment like this...
rb431 is offline   Reply With Quote