Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-23-2017, 04:05 AM   #1
dhcp
dhcp began at the beginning.

Device: PW2IL (B017 & 9017)
KUAL in non-Japanese 4GB PW2 after downgrade to 5.4.0

I have a non-Japanese 4GB PW2 which I want to downgrade to 5.4.0 (using ixtab's system images) since I want to use hierarchies in Collections Manager.

It is mentioned in KUAL's FAQ that the minimal supported version for non-Japanese 4GB PW2 is 5.4.5. The question is whether this limitation is relevant if my model is downgraded using the mentioned method?
dhcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:47 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
ixtab's PW-2 images?

You need to post a link to what you are writing about, I don't recall any version 5.4.0, PW-2 images. 5.4.2 is as far back as you can go on a PW-2 with the ixtab images that I know about.

And post the first six characters of your device's serial number please.

= = = = =

Amazon never released a firmware version for the PW-2 less than 5.4.5 with 'active content' documents enabled.

Your welcome to try the booklet version of KUAL on PW-2 devices running firmware earlier than 5.4.5 and report back your results.
The booklet **should** run on any firmware back to 5.1.2 (and is not device specific).
The booklet had not been written when that FAQ was written, not by several years.

Last edited by knc1; 05-23-2017 at 08:58 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2017, 11:56 AM   #3
dhcp

I mean forensic images for recovery, those ones described in the second post in the following thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=233580

My kindles are B017 22 and 9017 22.

Since people in the thread above report that CM worked after the downgrade it seems that active content works in this firmware (since CM is a kindlet), there seem to be only a question of a problem with the non-Japanese 4GB PW2. Theoretically the problem shouldn't occur, since what should matter is not the hardware but the contents of a partition, but I want to make sure. I probably will try the downgrade even without being sure, but it is more encouraging to know that the attempt won't be for nothing. And it seems that the booklet version is a possible alternative.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:11 PM   #4
dhcp

P.S.: I must say though that a discussion in the following thread makes me a bit worried about the operation - while I don't intend to revert by the serial port, still the version is not really supposed to work on my PW2:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3181304

So I would really like to hear from somebody who tried and succeeded - if not getting the KUAL working, then at least not bricking the device.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:21 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhcp View Post
P.S.: I must say though that a discussion in the following thread makes me a bit worried about the operation - while I don't intend to revert by the serial port, still the version is not really supposed to work on my PW2:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3181304

So I would really like to hear from somebody who tried and succeeded - if not getting the KUAL working, then at least not bricking the device.
Also, scroll to the bottom of the first post in the KUAL thread.
There, open the spoiler where the prior version of the first post is hidden.
In that older version of the post, you will read:
Quote:
NOTES:
Non-Japanese 4GB PW2 models won't run Kindlets at all, unless updated to 5.4.5 or newer (make sure you're JailBroken before updating).
I do not understand how that could be any clearer.

You want nested collections - Use a Kindle model old enough to support them (such as a KT that will run old enough firmware to support 'active content' documents and nested collections (pre-cloud account firmware) ).

= = = =

OR
Just skip all of this idea about running old firmware -
run current and install KOreader.
KOreader understands directory structure, you can make a directory tree that shows the same as nested collections.

Last edited by knc1; 05-23-2017 at 02:25 PM.
Advert
Old 05-23-2017, 02:53 PM   #6
dhcp

It is clear from the FAQ that official versions for 4GB do not run Kindlets, but the idea is to try to install recovery image from 2GB version on 4GB version - if this succeeds, then probably Kindlets will run on 4GB version.

KOreader is a very configurable reader, but in a number of important areas the native reader is orders of magnitudes better. For example, KOreader is quite slow opening a book (can take a couple of minutes), and many times it just either freezes or crashes the device. And it simply cannot handle really big books (try to open this one: https://tools.ietf.org/ebook/rfc.mobi). The native reader doesn't even pause during those operations. So unless there is no choice, I prefer the native reader.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:09 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
It is clear from the FAQ that official versions for 4GB do not run Kindlets, but the idea is to try to install recovery image from 2GB version on 4GB version - if this succeeds, then probably Kindlets will run on 4GB version.
- - - - -
Bad idea (tm).
The 2GB firmware is known to brick the 4GB model.
I.E: It does not include the code to recognize the eMMC model used.
No memory == No run

Drop this idea before you waste a lot of time, producing a paperweight.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:27 PM   #8
dhcp

I see, then indeed it is better to drop the idea. Thanks for the information.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:07 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by baalajimaestro View Post
Sirs, A Problem appeared while Diags downgrading my Kindle PW2(9017). It doesnt boot now. Undergoes a boot loop. OS used PW2 5.6.5 to flash.(the one I provided a link). When I extracted it with kindletool it showed kindle PW2 Intl as compatible. Dont know what happened.While this command was given:

Code:
zcat /mnt/us/rootfs.img.gz | dd of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4096
Kindle gave back this to my terminal on linux

Seems like this should have more warnings!

How can de-brick my kindle?
Still diags works and i am able to ssh to my kindle!

Can I retry it with bin files from 5.8.7?

Please help me out!

B.Baalaji
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antinoos View Post
Is it definitely a PW2?? Such an old model?! Bought second hand? The intial special factory downgrade version for that model is 5.4.3.2 (see post #1 step 3). This MUST be used. Not any other version... or you'll brick your device.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Bad idea (tm).
The 2GB firmware is known to brick the 4GB model.
I.E: It does not include the code to recognize the eMMC model used.
No memory == No run

Drop this idea before you waste a lot of time, producing a paperweight.
Quote:
I see, then indeed it is better to drop the idea. Thanks for the information.
Let me try this just one more time -

Firmware for the PW2-2GB model will not run a PW2-4GB model.

Those of you who are hijacking my jailbreak thread for non-jailbreak problems, please stop.