Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-31-2016, 03:33 PM   #1
AZBookworm
AZBookworm can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AZBookworm can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AZBookworm can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AZBookworm can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AZBookworm can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AZBookworm can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AZBookworm can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AZBookworm can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AZBookworm can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AZBookworm can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AZBookworm can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
Best eReader for "Fast Reader" - Kobo or Kindle

Good morning all,

I searched the forum and found dated references to "speed reading" and ebooks.

I am wondering about the newest eReaders. I have a Sony TRS-1 and am ready to upgrade to Kobo or Kindle or ?

So, for you "fast readers" do you have a device that can turn the page as fast as you read? I often have to wait the the Sony reader to turn the page. I might as well watch TV. :-)

Please share your experience and favorite device.

To satisfy my current needs, I am using my Mac and the Sony Reader in a 2 page mode. That seems ok. But I would prefer a reader. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciate.

AZBookworm
often a visitor, reading, but rarely a poster.
Thanks!
AZBookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:39 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The absolutely fastest reader is going to be LCD-based. Which is to say, a tablet.
If that isn't acceptable you're not going to see much difference between the high end Kindles and Kobos.
Might as well flip a coin if that is your only concern.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2016, 04:09 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moved to the "Which One Should I Buy" forum."

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:33 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Either or.
They are both about the same. Even on my old kindle, it is less than a blink of an eye to turn the page.
So go with whichever one you like better.
As far as the stores go, I prefer Amazon to Kobo.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 03:59 AM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
All the modern mainstream readers flip fast. Consider other things: ecosystem, collections management, display/font fine-tuning. Are any important to you?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2016, 06:29 AM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Maybe you also want to look at page refresh options. If I was a fast reader, I think I would find the inversion flash for a full page refresh annoying if it was happening frequently. I have my reader set to do a full refresh every 20 pages.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:28 AM   #7
Tikker
Zealot
Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy S7, Kobo Aura
I really like Reading Mode on the samsung tablets (and phones)

it`s not e-ink, but I find it really easy on the eyes, and you have instantaneous page turns

I`m not a crazy fast reader, but I find the kindle`s and kobos to be painfully slow
Tikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 03:35 AM   #8
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I would say that the Kindle is slightly faster but the difference is so minute that you oughtn't be basing your purchasing decision on that. There are other more important variables that you should consider (for example ecosystem, hackability, control over margins and fonts, etc)
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote