Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-31-2010, 01:05 PM   #1
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
How well do you retain what you have just read?

I mentioned this in another forum and thought it might warrant a separate thread. I read fairly voraciously but usually do not retain what I have read very well (I read at what is probably a little above average in speed). While it was a nightmare when I was in school (I even almost got into a fight with a teacher over that) but it has its advanges now because I can go back to a book I read a while back (sometimes as little as a few months before) and enjoy it almost as much as iof it was completely new to me; sometimes more because I frequently pick up things I missed the first time through. One of my favorite books is a "children's" book called The Wind in the Willows. I reread it every two years or so.

So, what is everyone's else's reading retention capabilities?
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:09 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The ability to forget books is one of the delights I've found of advancing age. It allows one to repeatedly re-read one's favourite books time and time again. Especially beneficial with "whodunnit" type books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
I find rereading books a joy. Some things you will remember and others you will have forgotten. Reading a book a second time often gives a different perspective and you might experience it different from the first time you read it.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:24 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
I find rereading books a joy. Some things you will remember and others you will have forgotten. Reading a book a second time often gives a different perspective and you might experience it different from the first time you read it.
"rereadability" is, for me, what makes a book a classic. There are authors and books I can read time and time again and still get something fresh and new from them. For me that includes books such as "The Lord of the Rings", and authors like Dickens, Austen, and Trollope.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:25 PM   #5
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I've got quite a good memory when it comes to academic stuff. I was always able to remember things that i've read in textbooks etc over a short period of time.

Novels are different. Of course in the first few weeks/months after I've read the book I can remember it quite well. If I remember it long term it seems to depend on how much I've enjoyed the book and the impression it left on me.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2010, 01:26 PM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I retain very little nowadays, however, until I went ebook, I could and still do remember books. I think it is because back then, if I was bored and needed something to read in the middle of the night, I would take a book off the shelf and re-read it. So in a sense, I was committing it to memory.

Now I plow through books and never re-read. So I seem to be remembering less of what I read.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:28 PM   #7
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I retain nonfiction much better than fiction. I dunno why. My brain seems to consider fiction less important, so it automatically stows those memories somewhere harder to find, lol. Always been that way, even when I was a kid.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
I can remember books well enough that re-reading them within a year or two really isn't much fun. But ....... after that the details start becoming dimmer and dimmer.

I do enjoy re-reading good books/authors and there are several (Tolkien and Twain, for example) that I re-read every 5-8 years. On my desktop I sort my books into three folders: "Read", "Unread", and "Re-Read". When I find a really good book I put it in the "Re-Read" folder when I finish it so that I know it's worth a second go-round in a few years.

Gary
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:32 PM   #9
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The ability to forget books is one of the delights I've found of advancing age. It allows one to repeatedly re-read one's favourite books time and time again. Especially beneficial with "whodunnit" type books.
Oh puh-lease! Do not remind me of advancing age! I have CRS, Senioritis, Old Timer's Disease, Ancient Chinese Disease (dragon arse) and...pause...let me get back to you...
Old 07-31-2010, 03:22 PM   #10
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Wait, what did you just say?
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:36 PM   #11
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I retain everything. Re-reading favourites, even mysteries, is still fun. But I have excellent recall and could describe with a fair amount of detail books I read years ago.

It's funny because I have no spatial sense at all, cannot remember landmarks or streets or directions. I cannot accurately describe how to get to my own home if you are trying to drive me there. I have often been teased for my horrible 'memory.' Yet my stepfather, who excels in such things, cannot accurately describe a movie he saw two days ago.

I do have a good memory---just not in an area that is terribly practical
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:41 PM   #12
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Not well. I thought the thread title was "How well do you retain what you have just said?"

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:06 PM   #13
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Actually, I have a wonderful memory; it's just short!
Old 07-31-2010, 08:07 PM   #14
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
I remember the highlights and whether I really loved a book, but a couple years later I can re-read it and enjoy it just as much as I did the first time!
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:23 PM   #15
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I'm looking forward to re-reading the entire Travis McGee series. I've forgotten virtually everything about it except loving the books.

After a certain point, you really don't need to buy any more books. Eventually, you'll only need one.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote