Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-27-2022, 05:55 PM   #1
Al Adams
eBook Reader Nut
Al Adams began at the beginning.

Device: NookSimple Touch & 5 Android Tablet(s), & Personal Computer...
Smile Prevent Accidental Close Shutdown of Calibre with Accidental X Click from another Win

Hello All: I'm Trying to find a way to have Calibre ask if it is OK to Shut-Down & Close for example. To Prevent Accidental Close Shutdown of Calibre with Accidental X Click from another Window that was on top, I often Click X on a Window I want to close. Only to have it also Shut-Down the Calibre software that I didn't want to Shut-Down, as many other software products kindly ask Do You Really want to close & Shut-Down ??? Could this feature be considered an Option for a Future Release !!! Also, I made a $$$ Donation to cover the Development efforts - Thanks Much !!! I'm Hoping that Kovid Goyal takes Notice Too ...
Al Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 06:17 PM   #2
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
While not exactly what you're looking for, if you use Preferences > Look & Feel > Enable System Tray Icon, the 'close' button will send it to the system tray instead of closing. You'll need to use the system tray option to quit.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2022, 06:23 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Moderator Notice

Moved from Development - see this sticky PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING HERE - Purpose of Development subforum

That's caught me a couple of times, but not often enough to request an Are you sure popup.

In the mean time try changing the active title bar colour in Settings->Personalisation->Colors

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 06:24 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
Check the calibre preferences. Under "Look & Feel" / "Main Interface" you will find "Enable system tray icon". With this option selected calibre will not close on the X being clicked, rather it will minimize to the system tray.

To actually close it , right click on the icon in the system tray and select Quit or use ctrl-q in the regular calibre UI.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 06:46 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Having calibre appear in the tray doesn't remove the quit button when its top right corner is peeking out from behind another applications window, i.e.:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-08-28 084111.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	196122

Hence my suggestion to change the colour of the Active title bar.

BR
Advert
Old 08-27-2022, 09:05 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Having calibre appear in the tray doesn't remove the quit button when its top right corner is peeking out from behind another applications window, i.e.:

Attachment 196122

Hence my suggestion to change the colour of the Active title bar.

BR
But in my experience, clicking it just minimizes to the tray.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 10:07 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

My limited (and long ago) experience with that calibre option set was clicking the '-' minimised it to the right/bottom end of the taskbar, but clicking the 'X' put it in state where it wasn't in the taskbar or in the tray, and could only be terminated with Task Manager or Taskkill. I recall someone posting that was because calibre can run as a server

I try to limit use of 'the tray' to tools that I run at startup because I want them at my finger tips (e.g. dictionary lookup, sticky note, clipboard manager)- calibre doesn't fit that criteria. I frown at applications that put themselves there regardless - e.g.Task Manager.

BR
Old 08-27-2022, 11:30 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
with system tray enabled X will close to tray only and you can click the tray icon to get it back or right click the tray icon and choose quit to close it entirely.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 02:32 PM   #9
igorius
Zealot
igorius began at the beginning.

Device: ipad & inkpad X
So that definitely doesnt work on mac! If i tick the X, window closes and thats it. Tray doesnt show any window to reopen, the mac-typical menu-item "Window" where i can bring back my windows doesnt exist in calibre. So the only thing which i can do is quit calibre via menu and restart it manually.
But no problem, i have it disabled, so ticking X shuts down calibre. What i am missing is a better description of that function/feature...
igorius is offline   Reply With Quote