Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-12-2022, 08:49 AM   #1
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
"text-decoration: line-through;" Barely Visible on Kobo Forma

I've got an epub that uses:

.strike {
text-decoration: line-through;
}

to strike through some lines of text. In Calibre, it looks fine. On my Kobo Forma, I can barely see the strikeout line going through the text. Searching the web, I find many instances claiming the underlying code for <strike> (deprecated), <del> and <s> is that same text-decoration line. On the w3c site for <strike>, I've tested all three of those methods and they all work well and look the same on my browser.

According to the mozilla.org site:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/...tion-thickness

I can use text-decoration-thickness to change the thickness of that line and make it more visible. When I try, the Calibre editor "check book" function doesn't recognize it ("Unknown property").

Does anyone have another method of making that strikethrough line more visible?

EDIT: I ignored Calibre's warning and tried text-decoration-thickness: 10em; and it made no difference on my Forma (or in Calibre).

Last edited by enuddleyarbl; 08-12-2022 at 09:06 AM.
enuddleyarbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 09:06 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLessnau View Post
I've got an epub that uses:

.strike {
text-decoration: line-through;
}

to strike through some lines of text. In Calibre, it looks fine. On my Kobo Forma, I can barely see the strikeout line going through the text. Searching the web, I find many instances claiming the underlying code for <strike> (deprecated), <del> and <s> is that same text-decoration line. On the w3c site for <strike>, I've tested all three of those methods and they all work well and look the same on my browser.

According to the mozilla.org site:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/...tion-thickness

I can use text-decoration-thickness to change the thickness of that line and make it more visible. When I try, the Calibre editor "check book" function doesn't recognize it ("Unknown property").

Does anyone have another method of making that strikethrough line more visible?
Use the <del> tag. It works in ePub 2 with ADE 2.0.1 and ePub 3 capable programs. It actually works better (IMHO) then the text-decoration approach.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-12-2022 at 09:15 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2022, 10:08 AM   #3
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The <del> tag didn't make any difference. Neither did the <s> tag. The strikethrough line is so thin that if I didn't know it was supposed to be there, I'd never know it WAS there.

I doubt it makes a difference, but the book is Pratchett's "Wyrd Sisters" and the passage is where Tomjon is reading some of Hwel's crumpled up attempts at a script:

"There was a lot of crossing out, and a large blot. Tomjon threw it aside and selected another ball at random.

KING: Is this a duck knife dagger I see behind beside in front of before me, its beak handle pointing at me my hand?..."

I'm looking at an article on text-decoration-thickness at:

https://css-tricks.com/almanac/prope...ion-thickness/

From that, I'm trying specifically setting all the associated traits for line-through:
Code:
.strike { 
  text-decoration-line: line-through;
  text-decoration-style: solid;
  text-decoration-color: black;
  text-decoration-thickness: 5px;
}
But, with that, the strikethrough line disappears entirely on the Forma. It's also odd that the only thing Calibre's check book function doesn't like in those lines is the text-decoration-thickness one. (EDIT: EpubCheck is perfectly happy with all of it)

Last edited by enuddleyarbl; 08-12-2022 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-12-2022, 10:32 AM   #4
enuddleyarbl
Guru

Unless I'm doing something wrong, it looks like the Forma just doesn't want to change that strikethrough line. First, if I use "text-decoration-line: line-through;", the line disappears on the Kobo (not in Calibre). If I put it back to "text-decoration: line-through;", the line comes back on the Kobo, but I can't seem to find any way to change its look. All three versions (<del>, <s> and <strike> (<-- with different characteristics)) are almost invisibly thin on the Kobo.
Old 08-12-2022, 11:04 AM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Have you tried a different font?

Perhaps try using kepub?
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2022, 11:37 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here is <del> on my Libra 2 reading ePub with ChareInk.

Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_001.png
Views:	210
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	195820

As for ChareInk, I'm using the unweighted hinted version.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=184056
Old 08-12-2022, 11:46 AM   #7
enuddleyarbl
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Have you tried a different font?

Perhaps try using kepub?
This is a kepub generated by KoboTouchExtended from a epub3 in Calibre read with the default kepub reader (Nickel?) on the Kobo Forma. Changing fonts on the reader makes no difference. I've removed all fonts from the epub, itself. So, it's all handled by the ereader.

AFAICS, nothing odd should be affecting the text where the line-throughs should be happening. I've even applied a .normal css class to the surrounding text before the line-throughs (via:
Code:
.normal {
  font-style: normal;
  font-weight: normal;
}
)
I haven't been able to find any kind of alternative way of depicting crossed out text.
Old 08-12-2022, 11:48 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Post a screenshot so we can see how this looks on your device.
Old 08-12-2022, 11:58 AM   #9
enuddleyarbl
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Here is <del> on my Libra 2 reading ePub with ChareInk.

Attachment 195820

As for ChareInk, I'm using the unweighted hinted version.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=184056
I'll have to look into that font. Here's a screenshot of what's happening on my Forma (Under King, duck knife is via <del>, behind beside in front is with my span and beak is with <s>:

Last edited by enuddleyarbl; 08-12-2022 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-12-2022, 11:58 AM   #10
enuddleyarbl
Guru

Drat. Forgot about resizing. I'll have to look up the maximum and redo that. Sorry.

EDIT: Fixed.

Last edited by enuddleyarbl; 08-12-2022 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-12-2022, 12:12 PM   #11
enuddleyarbl
Guru

I checked the same book on my wife's Forma and it looks the same as on mine. So, it doesn't seem to be a problem with my specific unit.

BTW: the strikethroughs look much more visible in that screenshot than they do on the actual device.
Old 08-12-2022, 01:01 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I checked the same book on my wife's Forma and it looks the same as on mine. So, it doesn't seem to be a problem with my specific unit.

BTW: the strikethroughs look much more visible in that screenshot than they do on the actual device.
Try ChareInk. Bookerly is a terrible font in a number of ways.
Old 08-12-2022, 01:34 PM   #13
enuddleyarbl
Guru

Quote:
Try ChareInk. Bookerly is a terrible font in a number of ways.
I've got the your links to the font (from above). I just need to research how to add fonts to a Forma.

I'm not sure that's Bookerly. Normally, I use Georgia. But, that screenshot might be with any of the other fonts I was trying.

Also, I whipped up a single page "epub" in LibreOffice to test various strikethrough methods. The same thing is happening with that. I'll attach a link to that epub and show a screenshot of the results (and as with the earlier screenshot, the strikethroughs on the device are nearly invisible and are much easier to see in the screenshot.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C19...ew?usp=sharing

EDIT: That screenshot is with the Georgia font. But, the result is the same with the other fonts on the device.

Last edited by enuddleyarbl; 08-12-2022 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-12-2022, 01:51 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I've got the your links to the font (from above). I just need to research how to add fonts to a Forma.
Copy the fore ChareInk files to a directory titles fonts in the root of your device. Then reboot and you'll be able to select the font you want. If you find you want the weight increased, use the Aa menu and Advanced (with ChareInk selected) and you can up the weight.

Quote:
I'm not sure that's Bookerly. Normally, I use Georgia. But, that screenshot might be with any of the other fonts I was trying.
If it's not Bookerly, it's Caecilia.
Old 08-12-2022, 01:56 PM   #15
enuddleyarbl
Guru

Quote:
Copy the fore ChareInk files to a directory titles fonts in the root of your device. Then reboot and you'll be able to select the font you want. If you find you want the weight increased, use the Aa menu and Advanced (with ChareInk selected) and you can up the weight.

If it's not Bookerly, it's Caecilia.
Yep. I think that's what it was. BTW, I've installed ChareInk and get the same results. Not sure if it's worth uploading another screenshot.