Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 09-25-2015, 08:02 AM   #1
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
V4.2.5 beta channel release

V4.2.5:
  • Add "Clear default reader app" to book details menu
  • Optionally write covers to a file when a book is read (CC / Other settings). This is useful for standby screens on some e-ink devices and for people who want to set wallpaper or the lock screen background to the cover image.

V4.2.5a:
  • Replace the new "Clear default reader app" added to the book details menu (above) with "Open book with ...". This command opens the reader app selection dialog even if a default has already been chosen.
  • Fix white-on-white text in wireless device progress dialogs on e-ink devices

V4.2.5b:
  • Verify that the file for storing a cover image has extension "jpg" or "png"
  • Updated languages: German, Russian, Spanish
  • [BUGFIX]Fix "Something has gone wrong" returning from Cloud Settings
  • [BUGFIX]Fix crash if cloud provider is changed from cloud book details

Last edited by chaley; 09-27-2015 at 12:11 PM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:34 AM   #2
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
I've got it, and I it seems to be working fine, but I wanted to make a suggestion.

The

* Add "Clear default reader app" to book details menu

looks really out of place there. I understand the purpose of it, but wouldn't it work as well to just add the ebook readers to the "send book to app" popup. This will actually create less work for Purple Lady, as she won't have to to set the default back for the next book.

If you don't want to clutter that dialog box, I think an option like "open book with alternate reader" would make more sense (and be less work for your users) than clearing the default.
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2015, 10:22 AM   #3
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
i have requested invitation to the beta channel will try and post the results for the lockscreen background.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:34 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufman View Post
The

* Add "Clear default reader app" to book details menu

looks really out of place there. I understand the purpose of it, but wouldn't it work as well to just add the ebook readers to the "send book to app" popup. This will actually create less work for Purple Lady, as she won't have to to set the default back for the next book.
Unfortunately it is hard to mix "send" and "view" in Android. "View" is what we use to open a reader app. "Send" is used to offer the book file to any app that claims to process files for purposes other than viewing them.
Quote:
If you don't want to clutter that dialog box, I think an option like "open book with alternate reader" would make more sense (and be less work for your users) than clearing the default.
This is an excellent idea. I would simply open the reader selection dialog even if a default has been chosen. It wouldn't clear the default, but the user could set a new default.

I am having trouble coming up with the menu caption. Currently I have "Open using reader app chooser". I hesitate to use "alternate reader" because the current default will be on the list. That caption is as long as it can be without being cut off on phones. Is there a better caption? Note that if you use this menu item, CC will show the chooser even if there is only one reader app installed. The "Read" action bar item shows the dialog only if more than one reader app is installed and if there is no default.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:37 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
i have requested invitation to the beta channel will try and post the results for the lockscreen background.
Added. You should already have received the "welcome" message.
Advert
Old 09-25-2015, 10:56 AM   #6
kaufman
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I am having trouble coming up with the menu caption. Currently I have "Open using reader app chooser". I hesitate to use "alternate reader" because the current default will be on the list.
How about "Open book with..."
Old 09-25-2015, 11:40 AM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Again, excellent suggestion. I assume that the ellipses mean the same thing or are at least understandable in other languages. If not then the translators can use something else.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:58 AM   #8
kaufman

Quote:
Again, excellent suggestion.
Always glad to help.

So, last week someone was asking me about whether I planned to switch back to iOS this year. I showed him Calibre Companion, and now he knows to never ask that question again.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:11 PM   #9
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:

Quote:
Again, excellent suggestion. I assume that the ellipses mean the same thing or are at least understandable in other languages. If not then the translators can use something else.
This is much better than my original request. Thanks to you both!
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:17 PM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Version 4.2.5a has been pushed to Google Play.

V4.2.5a:
  • Replace the new "Clear default reader app" added to the book details menu (above) with "Open book with ...". This command opens the reader app selection dialog even if a default has already been chosen.
  • Fix white-on-white text in wireless device progress dialogs on e-ink devices
Old 09-25-2015, 01:20 PM   #11
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
I agree it's an excellent suggestion and yes, the meaning is the same in Spanish. Thank you for the options.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 03:42 PM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I agree it's an excellent suggestion and yes, the meaning is the same in Spanish. Thank you for the options.
Thanks for the translations. Would you like me to make an APK for you so you can check them? It would be a "real" release that I would send you you by email. You would install it over the current Google Play release.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:47 PM   #13
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Thanks for the translations. Would you like me to make an APK for you so you can check them? It would be a "real" release that I would send you you by email. You would install it over the current Google Play release.
OK, it's fine, I would like to do it (I'm always afraid to have made some mistake).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 03:59 PM   #14
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
OK, it's fine, I would like to do it (I'm always afraid to have made some mistake).
New APK sent by email.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:20 PM   #15
kaufman

As long as you are updating the book menu, perhaps now would be the time to give it a more coherent (IMO) order.

Wouldn't it make more sense to put

Send book to
Open book with

first, and then the settings ones and the home screen and widget related ones? That would make them in most likely to be used order.

I'm also not sure why the filename template option is in this menu.