Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
Hekto
Hekto began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
Enable sound output

Hi!

I´m using my Mini as a GPS gliding computer and it would be great to have sound output for warnings etc.
Since there is no headphone jack or speaker, my idea is to connect a USB sound card. Could you estimate what to do to get that working? Do you think it´s possible?

Regards,
Pascal
Hekto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:50 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
I kind of doubt it's possible. Remember that the Kobo's act as a USB device; NOT as a USB host, and that a USB card would need a HOST.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #3
yoq
Developer
yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
The Kobo's processor supports acting as a USB Host (or OTG host), so with a new kernel (or at least a module) and a small hardware hack, it seem possible to me. I don't have a Mini and I haven't traced the circuit on my Glo but I suspect you'll have to modify a few PCB traces around the USB connector to get the Kobo acting as a supply for connected devices.

Some pointers:
Datasheet: IMX50CEC.pdf
Reference Manual: IMX50RM.pdf
System Development Guide: IMX50SDG.pdf
If you need anything on their linux driver implementation, download IMX50_1104_LINUXDOCS_BUNDLE but you'll need an account there.

Last edited by yoq; 07-25-2013 at 05:43 PM.
yoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
Hekto
Hekto began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
Hi,

As far as I know, these kernel changes have already been done. (http://vimeo.com/68476162) I´ll have to check where that´s documented.
It should not be a problem to use externally power the usb sound card, so that no hardware changes are necessary.

Regards,
Pascal
Hekto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #5
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Or you might even build a circuit to hang off the status LED circuit. It's been demonstrated user control of the LED is possible. Of course, you'd probably be limited to simply buzzing a piezo transducer or the like, though I imagine it to be far easier.

If you can use the USB port or find the SPI port why not use an ATMEL AVR set up for USB to drive an ISD1700 series ChipCorder and then you can have custom sound, or even full voice messages with minimal hardware/power draw? I designed an AVR based programmer for the ISD1700 series a while back and they're simple to record and playback from with minimal circuitry and even offer simple resistor programmable sampling frequencies.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert