Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-10-2007, 12:48 PM   #1
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
I love my job! - New Laptop

So I was shopping for a new Laptop for the CEO today. He wanted something light and powerful. I found him a Sony Vaio that's loaded out. Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz w/800mhz FSB, 2GB Ram, 160GB HD with 256MB Flash onboard, etc etc.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834117564

After I told him how sweet the laptop was, and how jealous I am, he told me to go ahead and order two. After looking at him in disbelief, he said "you're always using your home PC for work stuff without charging us, it's about time you had a loptop to work with".

I can't wait. This thing rocks! I just had to share.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:52 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm a big fan of Sony VAIO laptops, Adam - I'm on my third one (paid for with my own money!). Superb screens and, on the one occasion I've needed support, Sony came through for me big-time.

Enjoy your new toy!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2007, 01:20 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Nice! I want one.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 01:26 PM   #4
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm a big fan of Sony VAIO laptops, Adam - I'm on my third one (paid for with my own money!). Superb screens and, on the one occasion I've needed support, Sony came through for me big-time.

Enjoy your new toy!
If I was purchasing a laptop for myself, I don't think I'd go with the VAIO. The build quality seems excellent, and the specs are phenomenal. My issue is price. This laptop costs as much as the next PC I plan to build, and that's quad-core, sli, etc. But, if you can afford it, Sony does seem to be the way to go.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:31 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

WHen I can finally afford a new laptop, I'll have to see what's available at the time. Right now, it'll be probably sometime 2009 before then.
Advert
Old 08-10-2007, 02:10 PM   #6
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Awesome news Adam!!!!! New we're the jealous ones. (Although, granted, I'm not jealous of anyone's laptop at the moment because I just got a Lenovo X61 tablet for home. On the other hand, I'd kill for a better laptop for work.)
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:38 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I'd love a better laptop for at home. Now if anyone wants to donate a nice laptop to me, I will be grateful.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:55 AM   #8
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
LENEXA, KS, US 08/14/2007 9:00 A.M. THE PACKAGE IS DELAYED DUE TO A TRAIN DERAILMENT
Now that's my luck right there.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:56 AM   #9
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
well, at least they have a good excuse
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:04 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
That's a really good excuse.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:14 PM   #11
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Since Newegg is sold out of it....it was probably destroyed.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:18 PM   #12
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
I dont expect your cargo to be damaged. Usually derailments are not like in the movies. It just takes time and effort to get the train back on track, but mostly there are no big crashes involved and cargo usually survives the derailment. (And usually only minor injuries are expected aswell)
Crossing my fingers.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:25 PM   #13
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

I think I've found the accident: http://www.49abcnews.com/news/2007/a...s_and_weather/

That took place yesterday, and is right around where it's listed in the tracking.

Quote:
Eleven cars of a freight train went off the tracks early this morning in Osage County. The BNSF train derailment resulted in no injuries, and the load was not lost, a company spokesman says. The cause of the derailment is unknown at this time, but the investigation is focusing on a switch in the line. The BNSF spokesman says the track could open as soon as 2 a.m. tomorrow.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:47 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Probably kids putting pennies on the tracks.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:09 AM   #15
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Have fun with your new toy, Adam. You are going to need it... it comes pre-installed with Vista

That said, after reconfiguring and tuning my only three weeks old Thinkpad T61p, I am rather happy with how Vista performs. Although, I am looking forward for Lenovo releasing their official Linux support for their notebooks soon, which is going to be an interesting alternative.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote