Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-02-2010, 09:19 AM   #1
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
Lost/Stolen Kindle procedure

My daughter lost my Kindle 3 in the restroom at Papa John's stadium in Louisville this weekend. I called Amazon customer service yesterday and the rep deactivated (his word) the Kindle and he said that it not only is it blacklisted against registration to another account, but also my personal information is no longer visible. In the confirmation email, Amazon provided the serial number and a note that they will send the Kindle to me if it is returned to Amazon.

But, I'm wondering if I should have just left it registered to my account for a while longer. If the Kindle is locked, then my "If found please contact blah blah blah" message isn't visible anymore, is it? But that's something you have to go looking for in settings, so that may not have been helpful anyway. Maybe I should have emailed a document to the Kindle with my contact info and a plea to return the Kindle.

Anyway, it's too late to change anything with this Kindle, but I have 3 others on my account to think about. So, I'm wondering what other people have done to assist in recovering a lost Kindle. And I'm wondering if anyone has a story about Amazon actually reuniting them with their missing Kindle.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:01 AM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
I'm sorry to hear about your lost Kindle The recovery of a lost Kindle relies heavily on the honesty of whoever finds it and I'm not sure how useful contact info on the actual Kindle might be - if I thought there was a chance of losing my Kindle, I think I'd supply a contact number on the casing of the kindle or inside the cover where it was highly visible.

I have read of cases where people have been reunited with lost Kindles (right here on mobileread, I can think of one example but it may have been a year or so ago) and the person who found the Kindle contacted Amazon.

Hopefully you will be lucky and get your Kindle back.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2010, 10:28 AM   #3
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekchick View Post
My daughter lost my Kindle 3 in the restroom at Papa John's stadium in Louisville this weekend. I called Amazon customer service yesterday and the rep deactivated (his word) the Kindle and he said that it not only is it blacklisted against registration to another account, but also my personal information is no longer visible. In the confirmation email, Amazon provided the serial number and a note that they will send the Kindle to me if it is returned to Amazon.

But, I'm wondering if I should have just left it registered to my account for a while longer. If the Kindle is locked, then my "If found please contact blah blah blah" message isn't visible anymore, is it? But that's something you have to go looking for in settings, so that may not have been helpful anyway. Maybe I should have emailed a document to the Kindle with my contact info and a plea to return the Kindle.

Anyway, it's too late to change anything with this Kindle, but I have 3 others on my account to think about. So, I'm wondering what other people have done to assist in recovering a lost Kindle. And I'm wondering if anyone has a story about Amazon actually reuniting them with their missing Kindle.
I've got my name and cell phone number as my screensaver:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mykss.jpg
Views:	815
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	60546  
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:45 AM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
I've got my name and cell phone number as my screensaver:
Ditto. I've added my name, email and cell phone number to each of my screensaver images.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:06 AM   #5
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Ditto. I've added my name, email and cell phone number to each of my screensaver images.
As I haven't yet hacked my Kindle: I keep my fingers crossed, throw some salt over my left shoulder, a sticker on the back of the Kindle, a nice and polite request to send it back when found (in the cover)-----------and hope for the best.

Whatever Amazon can or cannot do: In the end it all depends on the integrety of the person who finds your Kindle.

Last edited by desertblues; 11-02-2010 at 12:09 PM. Reason: clarifying and grammar of course
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2010, 01:32 PM   #6
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
When I reported my Mom's Kindle stolen they said that if it was found and returned that we could have it reactivated. We would need to call and give them the info that was associated with the original account.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:38 PM   #7
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
Amazon can just remove your info and your personal data if and when the K3 is connected to any net. So if it is the WiFi version there is still a big chance that the finder can see your info. Just when he tries to connect to a WLAN this info will get lost.
No idea about the other versions...
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:35 PM   #8
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
I set my cell number as part of the Kindle name so it appears in the status bar which is significantly more visible than the useless Personal Info part at the end of settings.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:06 PM   #9
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
Those are all good ideas. The 3G was on, so I could have changed the name. I'm not holding out hope of getting it back, but before I let my daughter take one of the K2s out into the world, I feel like I should do something. Duct taping it to her hand is probably not practical.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:25 AM   #10
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
Hey, I use one of these [this model] to label all of my stuff. It also keeps my brother from taking my shit and saying it's his.

Maybe I'm old school.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:10 AM   #11
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curstpriest View Post
Hey, I use one of these [this model] to label all of my stuff. It also keeps my brother from taking my shit and saying it's his.

Maybe I'm old school.
That's what I do, as the battery of my Kindle can be empty by the time I loose it and...............nothing to be seen on the screen...............didn't lost the USB-cord as well!

Last edited by desertblues; 11-03-2010 at 04:23 AM. Reason: hope I got the grammar right this time
Old 11-04-2010, 06:27 AM   #12
peca007
peca007 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
That's what I do, as the battery of my Kindle can be empty by the time I loose it and...............nothing to be seen on the screen..............
eInk doesn't need power to show something on it. AFAIK, when screen saver displayed, it doesn't consume power. Screen saver picture remain visible even if battery will be discharged.
peca007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:52 PM   #13
desertblues
Home for the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by peca007 View Post
eInk doesn't need power to show something on it. AFAIK, when screen saver displayed, it doesn't consume power. Screen saver picture remain visible even if battery will be discharged.
Ai...if it's there for every one to see......then I must take care what I read before I close my Kindle.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:05 PM   #14
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Why not simply write your name and phone number on a piece of paper and tape it to the back of the Kindle?

Why does everyone always look for a high-tec solution to every problem?
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:07 PM   #15
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Why not simply write your name and phone number on a piece of paper and tape it to the back of the Kindle?

Why does everyone always look for a high-tec solution to every problem?
Paper?! Paper?!

Are you mad, man?

I insist that this dangerous man is removed from MobileRead forthwith. Paper?!

Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote