Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-19-2011, 08:47 AM   #1
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Andrew Lang's All 12 Fairy Books $.95/$1.99[Children] (B&N/Amazon)

These are by 2 different publishers but formatted basically the same. These are all available in public domain separately but this is a nice collection.

Quote:
Product Description
This Kindle book includes: The Blue Fairy Book, The Red Fairy Book, The Green Fairy Book, The Yellow Fairy Book, The Pink Fairy Book, The Grey Fairy Book, The Violet Fairy Book. The Crimson Fairy Book, The Brown Fairy Book, The Orange Fairy Book, The Olive Fairy Book, and The Lilac Fairy Book. With the active (hyplinked) table of contents, click on a book title to go to that book, and use the "Back" button to return to the table of contents.

According to Wikipedia: "Andrew Lang's Fairy Books or Andrew Lang's "Coloured" Fairy Books constitute a twelve-book series of fairy tale collections. Although Andrew Lang did not collect the stories himself from the oral tradition, the extent of his sources, who had collected them originally (with the notable exception of Madame d'Aulnoy), made them an immensely influential collection, especially as he used foreign-language sources, giving many of these tales their first appearance in English. As acknowledged in the prefaces, although Lang himself made most of the selections, his wife and other translators did a large portion of the translating and telling of the actual stories." We updated this book on 9/15/2008, adding links to each individual story (about 400 of them), to make it easier for you to navigate through this huge file and get to the story you want to read.
This one was updated again 9/2/2010. $1.99

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Childr..._ys_ir_kinc_91

B&N - $.95. This one is dated 1/2010.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Andrew-Langs-Fairy-Books/Andrew-Lang/e/9781607786702/?itm=1&USRI=andrew+lang's+fairy+books+all+twelve+t he+blue#
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:57 AM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Why should I pay for DRM-locked books when I can download them completely free, in the format of my choice, from Project Gutenberg, Manybooks, etc?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Most (all?) are available here on MR.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Why should I pay for DRM-locked books when I can download them completely free, in the format of my choice, from Project Gutenberg, Manybooks, etc?
Convenience. It took some time for me to look up each one and download 12 volumes and arrange them all in proper order. Would have been worth a buck to get them all at once.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:51 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
For a much better buy (89 cents), and for a much better formatted collection of all twelve books, try MoibleReference located here:

http://www.amazon.com/Twelve-Yellow-...8238284&sr=1-4

Of course, if one likes spaces between paragraphs, then I would suggest buying the OTHER collection and NOT the one I'm talking about here in this post.

This MobileReference Collection is superb. I own it.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-20-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2011, 11:01 PM   #6
frquixote
Addict
frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra 2, Kindle PW3, Samsung 8A Tablet, Samsung S10e Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
This MobileReference Collection is superb. I own it.
Can you elucidate further? How is the editing? Is formatting consistent throughout? Since this volume is comprised of 12 different books, can you provide information about the live TOC? Is it only to the book level are down to the story level?

I ask because I bought the epub version from Borders and thought it was VERY poorly formatted. Books don't begin on new "pages" and stories don't begin on new "pages." TOC was only to the book level. I expected better having seen other reviews. Oh, and the epub version is $5.99, not $0.99. Found the same poor work in Robert Frost's Early Works, so I'm giving up on MobileReference for the time being.

Thanks very much.

Last edited by frquixote; 02-21-2011 at 11:22 PM.
frquixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:42 AM   #7
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Always check here on MobileRead for public domain books before you pay for them. The books here were converted and formatted by MobileRead members out for the love of books, not because they think they can make a quick six bucks off them, and tend to be extremely well edited -- by readers, for readers. Some of the earlier books by Project Gutenberg aren't as good as they could be, but those from the past few years are generally excellent. The Distributed Proofreading people (have you proofed a page today?) do a great job.

Feedbooks and ManyBooks mostly scrape PG, but they have additional books as well. I find ManyBooks in particular to be slightly superior to PG. Munsey's is ... weird. And annoying. But they often have books and short stories that nobody else does. Google Books is inconsistent, often ranging from bad to hideous. Think really bad unproofed OCR. Worse, they're prone to slapping copyright restrictions on books a century or more old, at the behest of the people who have read those "make a mint reselling public domain books", which complicates things even more. I've pretty much given up on them.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:19 AM   #8
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for explaining, CatLady.

Quote:
For a much better buy (89 cents), and for a much better formatted collection of all twelve books, try MoibleReference located here
That's the same as the B&N version. I didn't see that one because I found the other one at Amazon 1st and just went to B&N to see if they had it and found the other one. Both are now available at Kobo for $.89 also:

http://kobobooks.com/search/search.h...andrew%20lang&

frquixote - When did you get it? It is showing at $.89 at Borders now anyway:

http://www.borders.com/online/store/...sku=1455392014

Looking at the 2 versions on my iPOD, the Kindle version does have each story starting on a new page but the B&N version does not. The TOC does have links to each story but you have to click on each book to see them. To get back to the TOC story links for each book click Go To or whatever is comparable to that on your Sony.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:18 PM   #9
frquixote
Addict
frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra 2, Kindle PW3, Samsung 8A Tablet, Samsung S10e Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBird View Post
frquixote - When did you get it? It is showing at $.89 at Borders now anyway.
It was awhile ago. Thought it would be worth a few bucks to have a single book entry on my screen rather than 12 entries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBird View Post
Looking at the 2 versions on my iPOD, the Kindle version does have each story starting on a new page but the B&N version does not. The TOC does have links to each story but you have to click on each book to see them. To get back to the TOC story links for each book click Go To or whatever is comparable to that on your Sony.
The B&N version would probably be the same as the Borders version since they both use ePub (albeit with differing DRMs). Maybe I should download it again to see if it has been updated because I'm pretty sure the version I received didn't have story level links.

Thanks for the info!

Last edited by frquixote; 02-22-2011 at 03:24 PM. Reason: typo
frquixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:39 PM   #10
NightBird
Wizard

YW, but you could get it at Kobo for free right now with the $1.00 off coupon jehane posted: feb22us1. It is good until 2/24.

If you do get the B&N version I would suggest getting a sample first to make sure it works and looks the way you want it to. I don't know anything about the compatibility between B&N ebooks and Sony readers.

Also, in the future if you want to get any more of these types of collections and you prefer the type of TOC that lists all the individual stories from there you might like the Golgotha collections better as that is how they do it. (They don't have this particular book, though). I personally don't like this type as I have to do too much scrolling through the TOC to get to what I want.

http://www.kobobooks.com/search/sear...gotha%20Press&