Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-10-2015, 07:31 AM   #1
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Displaying end/foot notes in ePub

Just thought I would start a thread on this very frustrating issue. You'd think that a better display of notes should be an advantage of ebooks over paper, but unfortunately it's often the opposite that happens, and some apps do it so poorly that reading books with many notes is almost impossible. In many cases, bad formatting of the ePub file doesn't help much either.

I read a lot of non-fiction and this is important to me. Here is a list of apps that do it best (or not as bad as the rest, depending on how you look at things) in my opinion.

1- MarginNote. The best!!! As a general purpose reading app it's not as smooth, nice-looking or customizable as I'd like, but it's the only app I know of that offers an option to display end notes (along with personal notes) in the margin to the right of the text. And the developers are very quick to respond to bug reports or suggestions.

2- Marvin just sends you to the page where the note is when you press the note number. But at least the note number is highlighted for a second, so you can find it more easily, and also find the place you were at in the main text when you click on the back link. It's better than nothing, I guess.

3- Google Play Book now displays notes as a pop-up window above the main text instead of sending you to the notes page. However, this only seems to work with properly formatted notes in ePub 3 books, so it's not very useful right now.

If you know of other ePub apps that are good with end notes, please post them!
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote