Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 04-19-2016, 10:57 AM   #1
gsparks2
Connoisseur
gsparks2 has learned how to read e-booksgsparks2 has learned how to read e-booksgsparks2 has learned how to read e-booksgsparks2 has learned how to read e-booksgsparks2 has learned how to read e-booksgsparks2 has learned how to read e-booksgsparks2 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Moon+ Reader Pro on Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge International version
Help With CC, Moon+ Reader Pro Android 6.01

I am using CC Version 5.1.1.3 (327) and Moon+ Reader Pro 3.4.7.

My device is SM-G935F running Android version 6.01.

Question: What can I do to make Moon+ Reader open the book I have selected in CC Book Details screen when I tap on Read?

I just upgraded my device from Samsung S4 to Samsung S7 Edge.

I store my CC library books on an SD Card. I transferred the SD card from the S4 to the S7E.

I successfully have Run Calibre and Calibre Companion to sync books on the S7E.

I use Moon+ Reader Pro. On the S4, I was able to navigate to the Book Details screen in CC then click Read and Moon+ Reader would open the book and I could start reading.

On the S7E, when I click Read in the Book Details screen, Moon+ Reader opens but does not open the book for reading. It opens the last book read or opens to the Recent List in Moon+ Reader.
gsparks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:08 AM   #2
gsparks2
Connoisseur
gsparks2 has learned how to read e-booksgsparks2 has learned how to read e-booksgsparks2 has learned how to read e-booksgsparks2 has learned how to read e-booksgsparks2 has learned how to read e-booksgsparks2 has learned how to read e-booksgsparks2 has learned how to read e-books

I forgot to mention that I was able to navigate to the folder on the SD card that contains the CC books using the Samsung My Files application and open the book with Moon+ Reader by clicking the book file.
Advert
Old 04-22-2016, 11:38 AM   #3
gsparks2
Connoisseur

I have searched the forum threads and found some recommended solutions. I have uninstalled Moon + Reader and reinstalled it. Same behavior.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:51 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I suspect that there is a problem with SD card permissions, especially if you restored a backup from the previous device. Try going to CC's Settings / Formats and Folders and change the folder (or folders) to what they are now. By "change" I mean go through the whole process of tapping on the folder, getting into the Android file chooser, navigating (if needed) to the current folder, and tapping Select. That will force Android to verify permissions and force CC to ask for the necessary "magic key". CC will notice that the source and destination folders are the same, and won't attempt to move the books.

If that doesn't fix it then please send me a debug log as described in this FAQ. Please erase the multipie.co.uk address.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:03 PM   #5
gsparks2
Connoisseur

Chaley, Thank you. I think I did what you suggested and have sent you a debug log.
Advert
Old 04-22-2016, 12:15 PM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I see from the debug log that you are using the CC/kitkat folder. CC found it and was able to determine the folder's public name. However, moon+ is unable to open a book in that folder. I am sure that the problem is that the permissions on the folder are "wrong" for the new device. It looks like the folder is CC private.

When using CC V5 and Android 5 or 6, there is no need to use that folder, and in fact there are reasons not to use it. I suggest that you move the folder somewhere else on the SD card using CC's formats and folders, for example a "CC" folder at the root of the card. The resulting move might take a while if you have a lot of books. Don't start it unless you have enough free space on the SD card to make a copy of all the books.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:20 PM   #7
gsparks2
Connoisseur

Thank you. I suspected that might be the case. i will do that.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:28 PM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

BTW: my warning about space on the SD card is wrong. CC moves the books one at a time, so the only requirement is that there be enough free space to hold 2 copies of the largest book.

Good luck. Let me know what happened.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:38 PM   #9
gsparks2
Connoisseur

Will do. CC is moving the books. May take a while
Old 04-22-2016, 02:11 PM   #10
gsparks2
Connoisseur

Ok, CC completed moving the books and Moon+ and CC work as they should now.

I went into the Samsung My Files app and looked at the two folders after the operation. One folder was the old KitKat Android/Data/Com.Multiplie.CalibreAndroid/ and the other is a Folder named Books at the root of the sdcard. The My Files app shows the books still in the Android/Data/Com.Multiplie.CalibreAndroid/ folder.

I sent another debug file if you want to look at it.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:10 PM   #11
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsparks2 View Post
Ok, CC completed moving the books and Moon+ and CC work as they should now.

I went into the Samsung My Files app and looked at the two folders after the operation. One folder was the old KitKat Android/Data/Com.Multiplie.CalibreAndroid/ and the other is a Folder named Books at the root of the sdcard. The My Files app shows the books still in the Android/Data/Com.Multiplie.CalibreAndroid/ folder.

I sent another debug file if you want to look at it.
Thanks for the feedback.

I am confused by what I see in the debug log. As far as I can tell, CC still thinks that the default folder for epubs is still the Kitkat-forced default: Android/data/com.multipie.calibreandroid/. I can't think of a reason why that would be true after CC moves books to some other folder, unless the there is a separate setting for epub and "default".

Given that it is working, perhaps this is one to put into the "what the %(&^" category.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:35 AM   #12
gsparks2
Connoisseur

I think someday, when I have a day or so to spend, I will uninstall CC and remove all books from my device and reinstall clean. Thank you for your assistance.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:14 AM   #13
gsparks2
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsparks2 View Post
I think someday, when I have a day or so to spend, I will uninstall CC and remove all books from my device and reinstall clean. Thank you for your assistance.
I should have said "many days" HA!