Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old Today, 01:12 PM   #1
itm
itm began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS650R
Does Kindle sync furthest read reliably with Android Kindle app?

I'm looking for an eReader for my wife, who currently reads mainly DRM-free ePubs on her Pixel phone (using Play Books). She would like to have a dedicated eReader for "planned" reading, but would like one that remembers her place in the book when she switches between devices - both from phone to eReader and eReader to phone. So she can use the phone for ad hoc reading when she doesn't have the eReader with her, and can switch back to the eReader when it's available - without losing her place in the book.
The obvious solution is a Kindle (which I guess would require converting each ePub to Mobi format), but my question is: do Kindle eReaders reliably sync reading posiition (furthest read?) in both directions with the Kindle app on Android phones?
If not, can anyone recommend a better solution for this problem?
itm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:18 PM   #2
Scoob
Enthusiast
Scoob is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Keyboard, Nook ST
New Kindles do have the ability to read DRM free Epubs without needing to convert to MOBI. If you sideload her books to the kindle or her kindle app I don't think they will sync with each other.

I am fairly certain however sideloaded content does sync when you use the send to kindle service. There are two ways to use that service one is to simply email the epub to the kindle app and kindle. The email address can be found in the settings menu. The other method is to use the website send to kindle.

Make sure whispersync is turned on both the kindle and on the kindle app and it will sync the bookmarks, notes, highlights, and last page read.
Scoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 02:23 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob View Post
New Kindles do have the ability to read DRM free Epubs without needing to convert to MOBI.
No, they don't. If you send your epub via Send to Kindle, Amazon will convert it to a Kindle format. If you sideload that epub via USB, your Kindle will be unable to read it.

That said, MOBI is an old and outdated format. For USB transfer, AZW3 is best, but it won't sync between different devices. For this you'll need to send your epubs via Send to Kindle service.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:25 PM   #4
Martinoptic
Bibliolater
Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You cannot sideload epubs to kindle.
You can send to kindle which converts them to a file type kindle app/reader can read.
@Scoob, I agree with the rest of your post (FWIW).
Martinoptic is offline   Reply With Quote