Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM   #1
indeliblemistake
indeliblemistake began at the beginning.

Device: Clara BW
Question KFMon updated after generator error help

Hey guys,

After hours spent trying to find the solution I resorted to posting here, which means it will probably be simple and straight forward, of course

I am a novice when it comes to programming, although I had successfully installed Koreader a few months ago using the OCP and nightly update build.

I'm having trouble launching Koreader through Nickel Menu after a firmware update having encountering the generator error and learning that KFMon needs to be updated/reinstalled.

I used the install script along with OCP-KFMon-1.4.6-89-g8daae26.zip and terminal (mac) confirmed it went smoothly but now Nickel Menu does not give me any options whatsoever when it is selected.

I then updated Koreader to 4.40.23081 released in August 2024 to no avail.

Any ideas? TIA, I spent hours trying to avoid having to post this question I refuse to claim defeat and reinstall everything as I'd rather not risk losing any accumulated reading statistics

Cheers!
indeliblemistake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
If you look at the exposed storage on your Kobo, do you see a directory named .adds? Inside the .adds directory, you should see a directory named nm. Inside the nm directory, you should see a file called doc (the original NickelMenu documentation file with everything commented out) and files whatever they might be called which would be the source for NickelMenu's menus. After installing the OCP package, you could see kfmon, koreader and/or plato and whatever you called the file you used for your NickelMenu configuration.

I unistalled KFMon and removed the kfmon, plato and koreader files since I preferred to launch from within NickelMenu. In my NickelMenu config file, I added the following lines:

Code:
# Launch KOReader directly via NM (>= KOReader 2020.05)
menu_item : main : KOReader : cmd_spawn : quiet : exec /mnt/onboard/.adds/koreader/koreader.sh
menu_item : library : KOReader : cmd_spawn : quiet : exec /mnt/onboard/.adds/koreader/koreader.sh

# Launch Plato directly via NM
menu_item : main : Plato : cmd_spawn : quiet : exec /mnt/onboard/.adds/plato/plato.sh
menu_item : library : Plato : cmd_spawn : quiet : exec /mnt/onboard/.adds/plato/plato.sh

The repeated lines are to have the items show when at the Home and My Books screens.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 01:02 AM   #3
indeliblemistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If you look at the exposed storage on your Kobo, do you see a directory named .adds? Inside the .adds directory, you should see a directory named nm. Inside the nm directory, you should see a file called doc (the original NickelMenu documentation file with everything commented out) and files whatever they might be called which would be the source for NickelMenu's menus. After installing the OCP package, you could see kfmon, koreader and/or plato and whatever you called the file you used for your NickelMenu configuration.

I unistalled KFMon and removed the kfmon, plato and koreader files since I preferred to launch from within NickelMenu. In my NickelMenu config file, I added the following lines:

Code:
# Launch KOReader directly via NM (>= KOReader 2020.05)
menu_item : main : KOReader : cmd_spawn : quiet : exec /mnt/onboard/.adds/koreader/koreader.sh
menu_item : library : KOReader : cmd_spawn : quiet : exec /mnt/onboard/.adds/koreader/koreader.sh

# Launch Plato directly via NM
menu_item : main : Plato : cmd_spawn : quiet : exec /mnt/onboard/.adds/plato/plato.sh
menu_item : library : Plato : cmd_spawn : quiet : exec /mnt/onboard/.adds/plato/plato.sh

The repeated lines are to have the items show when at the Home and My Books screens.
I can see the .adds directory and after running the OCP package I can see kfmon, koreader and that doc file you mentioned within the nm directory, should this not be the case?

I am nowhere near adept or have any experience with coding/programming so I haven't and don't plan on tinkering with NickelMenu to create custom menus to avoid messing things up and am content with the functionality Koreader offers. Is the doc file in the nm directory the config file for NickelMenu?

From what I gather in my case, am I right in saying KFMon's main purpose is to launch Koreader?

I have only been using NickelMenu to launch Koreader from the Kobo home page eg. after a reboot, can you advise me as to how can I restore this functionality?

Sorry if I am misunderstanding you, I am trying my best and thank you for your patience!
Old Today, 01:30 AM   #4
indeliblemistake

I also noticed after selecting NickelMenu, instead of giving me the option to launch Koreader or any error as it did previously, a small dot appears for some reason..

Tags
please help!