Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-30-2021, 09:38 PM   #1
Percivale
Connoisseur
Percivale began at the beginning.

Device: none
How to read Pocket articles on Kobo from subscription-based websites?

Dear forum members.

I have a problem with sending of Pocket articles into my Kobo Auro One.
All articles from free websites are sent without problems. However, articles from subsribed websites cannot be sent.

I can see these (paid) articles on Windows Pocket apps (chroma browser) but not on Pocket in Kobo.

Is there any way to authorise or enter subscription login into the Pocket account?
I read that such an option is only available on iOS and Android.

Should I conclude that there is NO posssiblity to read article from subscription-based websites on Kobo Pocket?

Is there any solution (bypass) to this problem?

I will be very grateful for your help.

Best Regards

Last edited by Percivale; 11-30-2021 at 09:50 PM.
Percivale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:25 AM   #2
Lykke
Groupie
Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Perhaps it has something to do with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket
Note: The Pocket integration on Kobo will display links compatible with Article View only.
From https://help.getpocket.com/article/1...rted-with-kobo
Lykke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2021, 10:33 AM   #3
Percivale
Connoisseur

Thank you for your answer.

But the problem lies somewhere else.
Free articles with similar outlay are sent without problems.
Old 12-01-2021, 09:32 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percivale View Post
Thank you for your answer.

But the problem lies somewhere else.
Free articles with similar outlay are sent without problems.
The layout of the pages have almost nothing to do with it. What will appear on your Kobo is what Pocket classifies as an "article". If you go to your Pocket account in the browser, there are several filters. One is "Articles". What is listed there can be synced to the Kobo device. And Pocket are the ones who decide what an "article". There is a link near the bottom of the page that @Lykke posted that gives details about this. Plus another link to report a page that you think should be classified as an article.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:16 PM   #5
Percivale
Connoisseur

Thank you for your response.

I seem to have figured out the problem with the lack of sent articles into my account on Kobo.

After several trial and errors made – I came to the conclusion that the problem is probably connected with authorisation (as the topic of my thread suggests).

I noticed that articles from the same website - which are offered as freeare sent into Kobo without any problems. They are also visible in the list “articles” in the Pocket application on Windows.

However, when an article (to be read) requires a login and a password it is not sent into Kobo. At the same time it is not present in the list “articles”.
The problem is probably about the lack of authorisation in pocket.

Is it possible on Kobo pocket to enter authorisation (login and password) for the website from which I would like to synch articles?

Or will I have to root Kobo and install Android on it in order to enter any login?
Or maybe there is some other solution?

I will be very grateful for any help
Advert
Old 12-02-2021, 08:54 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
I think you are over thinking things. Your Kobo only reads the data that has been scraped from the website by the Pocket service. It does not access the web at all.

From the pocket suppprt site https://help.getpocket.com/article/1...on-based-sites

Quote:
Saving from Subscription-based Sites
July 2021 update - our site logins feature is currently not available, and logging in to any site is not currently possible. As our team revisits site logins in Pocket, you can switch to web view to log in to a site or open the link outside of Pocket. Thank you for your patience!

With the Site Logins feature, Pocket lets you log into your favorite paywalled sites to get full access to their content. If you’re logged into a site, any link from this site that's saved to Pocket will be unlocked, and the full content will become available in Pocket.
Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:17 PM   #7
Percivale
Connoisseur

Thank you Peter for your response

So I was wrong in my thinking.

Maybe I should conclude the following:
There is probably some blocking encryption/ coding in html which appears in articles which are pay-walled.
This encryption is not present in free articles from this website.

Therefore, paid articles cannot be scraped into Pocket but free articles can be scraped and sent into Kobo.

Is there any hope to solve it if I send the links to the Pocket helpdesk?
Old 12-03-2021, 12:58 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
You should do that. From the above, it is probably something wrong in their system. But, it might be fixable for specific sites. Or they might tell you that they can't support it.

Alternatively, you can ask the original site. It might be something that they can fix or work with Pocket to fix. But, it might be a deliberate decision on their part to block Pocket.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:04 AM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

There is probably some blocking encryption/ coding in html which appears in articles which are pay-walled.

Therefore, paid articles cannot be scraped into Pocket but free articles can be scraped and sent into Kobo.

The issue is not encryption or anything in the html. Rather it is the fact that the pages you want are behind a server expecting validation that the requestor is entitled to see that page.

When you access that page, your browser prompts you for an ID / password and accepts a cookie from that site, and then the server can request that cookie to verify you do have access.

When you request Pocket to save that page, Pocket does not have access to your cookie, or ID / password, and the web server does not return the expected page to Pocket.

Old 12-03-2021, 12:08 PM   #10
Percivale
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
When you request Pocket to save that page, Pocket does not have access to your cookie, or ID / password, and the web server does not return the expected page to Pocket.
This is what I thought from the beginning. That's why I entitled the thread, looking for solution to work out some "bypass".

Is there any solution maybe some other application?

Can anyone please advise me what application would be optimal for creating epubs from articles (which come from pay-walled websites)?

Instapaper, Readibility, Read It Later or maybe SENDtoREADER?

Last edited by Percivale; 12-05-2021 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-06-2021, 10:02 AM   #11
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
This is what I thought from the beginning. That's why I entitled the thread, looking for solution to work out some "bypass".

Is there any solution maybe some other application?

Can anyone please advise me what application would be optimal for creating epubs from articles (which come from pay-walled websites)?

Instapaper, Readibility, Read It Later or maybe SENDtoREADER?

Check calibre to see if it has a recipe for your pay walled site. Calibre supports recipes, which are python scripts that pull data from the web or anywhere and turn them into ebooks you can send to your e-readers. Recipes can do authentication

There are many ready made recipes for popular sites and you can write custom recipes yourself if you know some python
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 12:05 PM   #12
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Check calibre to see if it has a recipe for your pay walled site. Calibre supports recipes, which are python scripts that pull data from the web or anywhere and turn them into ebooks you can send to your e-readers. Recipes can do authentication

There are many ready made recipes for popular sites and you can write custom recipes yourself if you know some python
Is there a way for these to be automatically sent wirelessly, like what happens with Pocket?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 02:10 PM   #13
Percivale
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post

I have already checked calibre. Unfortunately, the receipe for the website - I need - is obsolete and doesn't work.
I really don't know how to modify it.
Old 12-06-2021, 02:26 PM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

The first step would be to post in the Calibre recipes forum with details of what happens with the recipe.

Old 12-07-2021, 06:06 AM   #15
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:

I've tried different tricks to bypass this limitation with no success. Usually, sites that do this also block ad-free reading mode. And also, they don't usually let you print the article, which on rare occasions can be sent to Pocket instead of the main site. No solutions that I have found have been easier than just reading the darn article on the website. LOL There comes a point when researching a workaround takes more time than just reading the original articles. For example, I have successfully copy and pasted one of these stubborn articles into Pages and saved it as an epub, which I saved to my Calibre watch folder, then downloaded into my Kobo, but honestly, I was just being stubborn, too. It's hardly worth the effort!

This issue, along with Pocket not designating a webpage as an article, makes Pocket less useful to me on my Kobos. The Pocket app on my iPad displays all articles saved for later, even if they are treated like web pages instead of articles. So I tend to use Pocket there instead.

What I'd like to see for Pocket on Kobo is support for the beta web browser. That way these troublesome websites could still be accessed instead of filtered out, though that would require a WiFi connection.

Last edited by Cootey; 12-07-2021 at 06:19 AM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote