Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-19-2021, 04:32 PM   #1
DisableGraphics
DisableGraphics began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 8
Does the RenameOTABin method work 100% of the time?

I thought I'd update my KT3 to firmware 5.12.4 (from 5.9.2.1) after reading the tutorial on jailbreaking on "modern" devices, so I did. The problem is that this version seems to force updates, which I don't want. Then, I came across the RenameOTABin method of blocking the upgrades.

I don't want to use this method if I can't be 100% sure it will block updates, because if it downloads an update (which will probably be the firmware 5.13.5+, which doesn't support this jailbreak) it will be "Game Over" and I won't be able to use the jailbreak (I don't want to buy another one).

I would like to ask preferably people who have used it.

(sorry for any misspellings/grammatical errors, I'm not a native english speaker)
DisableGraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 10:41 PM   #2
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Seems to work
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...=327879&page=4
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2023, 02:43 PM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
The KUAL extension to rename OTA firmware update binaries is at:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=25
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 09:56 AM   #4
Kusuri
Connoisseur
Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4+Fire 7", Onyx Boox Nova Air
i use that method (KUAL extension) on my kindle paperwhite 4 without any issue. i'm still scared it may update each time i activate wifi.. but it never did update for more than 1-2 years by now. sooo i would say it works. i'm still scared though..
Kusuri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.12.4, kt3, renameotabin