Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-23-2022, 12:48 AM   #1
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Installed a font, uninstalled it. Now ligatures don't work in that book?

I can't figure out what I did. Someone on Reddit mentioned that the font Source wasn't working for them, neither Sans nor Serif. I installed them and they didn't work for me either, so I uninstalled. But now ligatures don't work in my current read (A Wizard of Earthsea), though they work in other books.

I'm going to remove the book with Calibre and sideload it again and see if that fixes it. But I was wondering, when the Kobo picked up the failure and used the fallback font, did it maybe mark the book in some way and that caused ligatures to stop working?

Last edited by ZodWallop; 12-23-2022 at 01:25 AM.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 03:40 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I can't figure out what I did. Someone on Reddit mentioned that the font Source wasn't working for them, neither Sans nor Serif. I installed them and they didn't work for me either, so I uninstalled. But now ligatures don't work in my current read (A Wizard of Earthsea), though they work in other books.

I'm going to remove the book with Calibre and sideload it again and see if that fixes it. But I was wondering, when the Kobo picked up the failure and used the fallback font, did it maybe mark the book in some way and that caused ligatures to stop working?
What font were you using after you removed the ones you side loaded?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2022, 10:40 AM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What font were you using after you removed the ones you side loaded?
Unfortunately, it won't be that simple. But to be thorough, after uninstalling the Source font, I tried using Literata Book (my go-to font), Bookerly and various built-in Kobo fonts. Ligatures didn't work with any of them. I know for certain that ligatures work on Literata Book and Bookerly (and I have the fixed bookerly that doesn't bold all italics).

What's weird is ligatures work on other books. Just not on A Wizard of Earthsea. I even tried re-downloading the .AZW from Kindle for PC, added it to Calibre as a duplicate and sent it to Kobo as a new kepub and still no ligatures.
Old 12-27-2022, 08:40 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Unfortunately, it won't be that simple. But to be thorough, after uninstalling the Source font, I tried using Literata Book (my go-to font), Bookerly and various built-in Kobo fonts. Ligatures didn't work with any of them. I know for certain that ligatures work on Literata Book and Bookerly (and I have the fixed bookerly that doesn't bold all italics).

What's weird is ligatures work on other books. Just not on A Wizard of Earthsea. I even tried re-downloading the .AZW from Kindle for PC, added it to Calibre as a duplicate and sent it to Kobo as a new kepub and still no ligatures.
Have you tried rebooting your Kobo? If that doesn't work, reinstall that font and select it. If Ligatures are once again working, select the font you really want.
Old 12-27-2022, 01:26 PM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have you tried rebooting your Kobo?
Yep.

Quote:
If that doesn't work, reinstall that font and select it. If Ligatures are once again working, select the font you really want.
The problem started with a font that just didn't work on Kobo (still not sure why it doesn't work, but that is neither here nor there). Since uninstalling it caused me issues already, I'm kinda gun-shy about loading it back on the device.
Advert
Old 12-27-2022, 02:33 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
The problem started with a font that just didn't work on Kobo (still not sure why it doesn't work, but that is neither here nor there). Since uninstalling it caused me issues already, I'm kinda gun-shy about loading it back on the device.
I'd give it a go. It might fix things. But if you are worried, you could copy the contents of your Kobo to your computer as a backup.