Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 12-20-2011, 11:00 AM   #1
Dreading
Dreading began at the beginning.

Device: Fire and Sony Pocket E-Reader
News Menu Links on Fire/Default Device

I have been downloading and viewing the news on my Sony E-reader for quite some time and the Menu links worked fine. I selected the Sony E-reader as my device when installing Calibre. I have now bought a Kindle Fire as well. When I fetch news and transfer to device (Fire), I am asked if I want to convert. I say yes. It converts and transfers just fine, but the menu links do not work on the Fire.

Do menu links just not work on the Fire? Or, is the problem having something to do with the fact that the news is being downloaded in such a way as that Calibre anticipates that I will be viewing it on a Sony E-reader? I understand the menu links are HTML, so I would think they would work on the Fire? Can I change my primary device in some way to make the Fire the default?
Dreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:01 PM   #2
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, IPad3, iPhone4, Playbook, HTC Inspire
Try fetching news directly to MOBI with output profile set to Kindle Fire. If that works then it's the epub to mobi conversion that isn't working.
nickredding is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2011, 08:35 PM   #3
Dreading

Thanks for the suggestion. I changed the Output Profile under Common Options and Page Set-up to Kindle Fire and it didn't work. I then tried changing the input file to Kindle. That got "Next" and "Previous" working, but "Section Menu" and "Main Menu" are still broken. Do I need to potentially customize one or more of the plug-ins?
Old 12-20-2011, 09:03 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Set your output profile to Kindle and your output format to MOBI. Then re-download the news. Send it to your Fire with a USB connection. Everything will work.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:12 PM   #5
Dreading

Thanks, I had failed to appreciate the difference between the output profile and the output format.

For anyone reading this thread because you are in the same boat, output format is under Behavior, whereas output profile is under Common Options.
Advert