Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old Today, 09:22 AM   #1
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Libra Color, Nxtpaper 11
Lightbulb calibre 7.19 Read aloud: usage start

When starting "Read aloud" on a fresh page, the first part of the chapter text is almost always omitted. In the case here that is "TEST:". Irregular only the last few letters are read.
Subsequent headers are fully read as they should.

A further finding is that right after any ":" it would be preferred to have a certain delay (like as is used at the end period "."). This will sound more natural.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Schermafbeelding 2024-09-28 151231.png
Views:	19
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	211080  

Last edited by DrChiper; Today at 10:31 AM.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:45 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
When starting "Read aloud" on a fresh page, the first part of the chapter text is almost always omitted. In the case here that is "TEST:". Irregular only the last few letters are read.
Subsequent headers are fully read as they should.

A further finding is that right after any ":" it would be preferred to have a certain delay (like as is used at the end period "."). This will sound more natural.
I just tested the Read Aloud and I do not have this problem. I'm running 7.19 with Windows 11.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 10:20 AM   #3
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I just tested the Read Aloud and I do not have this problem. I'm running 7.19 with Windows 11.
That's great.
For myself, I did found the problem: I was using bluetooth with in-the-ear buds to listen. Without them, and just using the PC-sound system, it works indeed fine. Apparently bluetooth needs some startup time to process the sound data.

Interestingly, the colon ":" delay now works too as one would expected.
Old Today, 11:17 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's great.
For myself, I did found the problem: I was using bluetooth with in-the-ear buds to listen. Without them, and just using the PC-sound system, it works indeed fine. Apparently bluetooth needs some startup time to process the sound data.

Interestingly, the colon ":" delay now works too as one would expected.
I did not think Bluetooth. I can try connecting my laptop to the Amazon Alexa via Bluetooth and see what happens.
Old Today, 12:05 PM   #5
DrChiper
Bookish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I did not think Bluetooth.
In order to avoid audio pollution, most people (and I) use ear-buds to consume their audio-books in private, hence my test.
Advert
Old Today, 02:33 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
In order to avoid audio pollution, most people (and I) use ear-buds to consume their audio-books in private, hence my test.
If I was going to use earbuds or headphones, I'd use the headphone jack or USB-C port.
Old Today, 02:40 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
At one point, we tried several brands of Bluetooth connected noise cancelling microphones for use with online meetings. We ended up going with USB connected headphones since there were too many audio drops/artifacts especially when switching speakers. The Bluetooth headphones were usable but annoying to use compared to the hardwired headphones.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:40 PM   #8
DrChiper
Bookish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
At one point, we tried several brands of Bluetooth connected noise cancelling microphones for use with online meetings. We ended up going with USB connected headphones since there were too many audio drops/artifacts especially when switching speakers. The Bluetooth headphones were usable but annoying to use compared to the hardwired headphones.
Interesting. The USB headphones caused on my systems the most problems. I preferred the audio jack most, until I one day forgot that I was plugged-in and took the laptop down when trying to stand up. Thereafter I exclusively used bluetooth earbuds for more freedom of move. Never had any dropouts as long as I stayed within a certain distance (= <10 meters inside my home)